Roger Mills

Default extensions and planning/building regs

Stephen Tames wrote in message
My next door person of a semi has submitted a plan for a full width rear

single storey extension in a 40 ft garden.

I saw the plans and it has a very high roof very visible from our

kitchen window and has numerous details missing eg missing soakaway thet
drained both properties rear
gutter and footings inches away from sewer pipe to rest of street.

The planning officer says I cannot object on the small details as its

building regs which he does not deal with; I can only object to loss of
light and appearance,design.

Surely the location of services is part of the design or is this too

simple?

thanks, Steve

'Fraid that's too simple!

The planners are concerned purely with the *visual* aspects.

The building control department is concerned with the *functional* aspects -
with specific reference to compliance with the building regs - and aren't
too fussy what it looks like.

Of course, if the appearance has to be changed as a consequence of meeting
the building regs, it becomes a planning matter again.

Roger