Brad J

Default Building regs or planning approval to install a second front door?

Hello
Do I need to get planning permission or building regs approval to
install a second front door to my ground floor flat, where previously
there was just a blank section of wall? I want to install the new
front door on the front of the house. The current "front" door is at
the back of the building. Yes, I am the freeholder of the building.

Thank you

Brad J
Christian McArdle

Do I need to get planning permission or building regs approval to
install a second front door to my ground floor flat, where previously
there was just a blank section of wall?

You'll certainly need building regs approval for the lintel to the new
opening. I'm not sure about the planning permission, but quite possibly.
especially if it faces the road. In any case, a call to the local council
will get the answer.

Things get more complicated if you want the door to be more than 50% glass,
as well.

Christian.

Tony Bryer

In article , Brad J wrote:
Do I need to get planning permission or building regs approval to
install a second front door to my ground floor flat, where
previously there was just a blank section of wall? I want to
install the new front door on the front of the house. The current
"front" door is at the back of the building. Yes, I am the
freeholder of the building.

My immediate neighbour has just been required to apply for PP to
turn a door into a window. It would be PD if was a house rather
than a flat.

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm

Mary Fisher

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message

My immediate neighbour has just been required to apply for PP to
turn a door into a window. It would be PD if was a house rather
than a flat.

Heavens! We half walled up a door and put a window in the top half, it never
occurred to us that there's be a need for pp ... It's a bit late now I
suppose, it must be at least 20 years ago.

Mary

Brad J

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:31:20 GMT, Tony Bryer
wrote:

In article , Brad J wrote:
Do I need to get planning permission or building regs approval to
install a second front door to my ground floor flat, where
previously there was just a blank section of wall? I want to
install the new front door on the front of the house. The current
"front" door is at the back of the building. Yes, I am the
freeholder of the building.

My immediate neighbour has just been required to apply for PP to
turn a door into a window. It would be PD if was a house rather
than a flat.

Thanks for the input - but PD? What is that?

I think there used to be a door in the place where I want to install
the new door. I'm tempted to just go ahead and do it without telling
the council. I don't really want them paying visits to my place... Or
would that be a seriously foolish move? The door will open onto my
own land - albeit only a couple of feet of it, beyond which is the
public pavement.

Brad J