Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default are expensive paints like Farrow and Ball worth the extra cost?

Some people swear by them, claiming they give great coverage and
superior depth of colour.

Anyone got experience of them and view either way? Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"vbleau" wrote in message
Some people swear by them, claiming they give great coverage and
superior depth of colour.

Anyone got experience of them and view either way? Thanks

really good matt finish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 4 May 2009 03:00:05 -0700 (PDT), vbleau
wrote:

Some people swear by them, claiming they give great coverage and
superior depth of colour.

Anyone got experience of them and view either way? Thanks

I use Leyland paint and everyone I recommended it too seems very
happy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 May, 11:00, vbleau wrote:
Some people swear by them, claiming they give great coverage and
superior depth of colour.

Anyone got experience of them and view either way? Thanks

In general, then yes. Farrow & Ball? No personal experience, but
they're _really_ expensive.

Coverage generally isn't great (acreage per tin) although covering
power (opacity per coat) is good, and you might save a coat by this.

Some years ago I saw a photo of a Regency room and decided I liked the
deep red walls, so re-decorated to match. As usual, I hung up yard
lengths of lining paper (14 or so!) painted with a sample pot of each
colour I possibly liked (make sure you go right to the edge - a white
border is distracting). After living with them for weeks I'd picked my
colour and it was very obviously going to have to be the RIBA range
stuff from Crown. £25 / tin, but there was nothing to touch it for
depth of colour and mattness.

OTOH, don't use this stuff with kids around - matter it is, more
easily it marks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 4 May, 11:00, vbleau wrote:
Some people swear by them, claiming they give great coverage and
superior depth of colour.

Anyone got experience of them and view either way? Thanks

In general, then yes. Farrow & Ball? No personal experience, but
they're _really_ expensive.

Coverage generally isn't great (acreage per tin) although covering
power (opacity per coat) is good, and you might save a coat by this.

I used a tin of this to paint the dining room - covered bare plaster in
one coat, looks great.

If it's a job I don't particularly enjoy like painting I'll pay extra
for tools/materials that get it done quicker, sort of along the lines of
'my time is money'.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 4 May, 11:00, vbleau wrote:
Some people swear by them, claiming they give great coverage and
superior depth of colour.

Anyone got experience of them and view either way? Thanks

In general, then yes. Farrow & Ball? No personal experience, but
they're _really_ expensive.

Coverage generally isn't great (acreage per tin) although covering
power (opacity per coat) is good, and you might save a coat by this.

I used a tin of this to paint the dining room - covered bare plaster in
one coat, looks great.

If it's a job I don't particularly enjoy like painting I'll pay extra
for tools/materials that get it done quicker, sort of along the lines of
'my time is money'.

Rob

IIRC F&B still stone grind their pigments, which takes longer and
occupies more space, but results in a larger particle size. Certain
dark, rich colours are best produced that way, but pastel shades are
best dispersed with modern ball mills
Posted to uk.d-i-y

vbleau wrote:
Some people swear by them, claiming they give great coverage and
superior depth of colour.

Anyone got experience of them and view either way? Thanks

I think they are worth it if that's what you want..ultra flat finish and
great color depth.

Nothing but, here. Trivial compared with the labour cost of repainting
and if two coats does the color instead of three, you are quids in if
paying a decorator..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 4 May 2009 07:27:16 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley
wrote:

to be the RIBA range
stuff from Crown. £25 / tin, but there was nothing to touch it for
depth of colour and mattness.

Crown have stopped doing the RIBA range, I'd guess to to avoid paying
the licence fee to RIBA. You can still get the former RIBA colours
though. (When I worked for Crown we spent a lot of time mixing F&B
colours in Crown paint so if you want the colour and a lower price
that's the way to go.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 May, 11:00, vbleau wrote:
Some people swear by them, claiming they give great coverage and
superior depth of colour.

Anyone got experience of them and view either way? Thanks

I've used a lot of F+B paint in my house. I like the colours, and I
like the fact that if I need to touch up a wall, then I will be able
to buy matching paint.

The colour depth of dulux trade paints (and even Wickes trade
emulsion) is just as good, and the coverage is better. Modern paints
all seem to have very low VOCs (if you care). I also find F+B paints
quite dribbly and difficult to use.

Have been using Beecks silicate paint and Earthborn claypaint
recently. Both are a pleasure to use, and I absolutely hate painting!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks very much for all the advice.
It has been very helpful

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 May, 23:15, vbleau wrote:
Thanks very much for all the advice.
It has been very helpful

All the pros I have spoken to, colour match F+B in their favourite
trade paint - usually Dulux. All of them hate F+B paint!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 May, 22:25, Peter Johnson
wrote:

(When I worked for Crown we spent a lot of time mixing F&B
colours in Crown paint so if you want the colour and a lower price
that's the way to go.)

Probably worth doing yet another plug for Crown decorator centres.
Great places for top end product at a good price. Not as absolutely
cheap as "Happy Shopper DIY", but they're selling the high-end
products and they're a good deal compared to most places that sell
similar.

I moved house a few months ago (Bristol to South Wales), must locate
my nearest one.