Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gate Valves

Yesterday my Showerforce self contained shower started leaking on the
control spindle so I went to turn of the two gate valves and neither the hot
or cold would turn of the water fully, now this is tank pressure water and
they couldn't stop that. I am now thinking of removing them and replacing
with isolating valves but the ones I have seen seem to go down to about 10mm
through the ball and as they will be on low pressure water I think they
would restrict the flow to much. Is there a 15mm isolating valve that is
15mm all the way through?.
Trevor Smith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Trevor Smith" wrote in message
Yesterday my Showerforce self contained shower started leaking on the
control spindle so I went to turn of the two gate valves and neither the
hot or cold would turn of the water fully, now this is tank pressure water
and they couldn't stop that. I am now thinking of removing them and
replacing with isolating valves but the ones I have seen seem to go down
to about 10mm through the ball and as they will be on low pressure water I
think they would restrict the flow to much. Is there a 15mm isolating
valve that is 15mm all the way through?.
Trevor Smith

Screwfix do:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13103/...MORKCSTHZPCFFA

REgards
Bruce

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"BruceB" wrote in message

"Trevor Smith" wrote in message
Yesterday my Showerforce self contained shower started leaking on the
control spindle so I went to turn of the two gate valves and neither the
hot or cold would turn of the water fully, now this is tank pressure
water and they couldn't stop that. I am now thinking of removing them and
replacing with isolating valves but the ones I have seen seem to go down
to about 10mm through the ball and as they will be on low pressure water
I think they would restrict the flow to much. Is there a 15mm isolating
valve that is 15mm all the way through?.
Trevor Smith

Screwfix do:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13103/...MORKCSTHZPCFFA

REgards
Bruce

Thanks for that Bruce, they look better than the ones that require a
screwdriver.
Trevor Smith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Trevor Smith wrote:
Yesterday my Showerforce self contained shower started leaking on the
control spindle so I went to turn of the two gate valves and neither the
hot or cold would turn of the water fully, now this is tank pressure
water and they couldn't stop that. I am now thinking of removing them

That sounds about par for the course for a gate valve... useless sodding
things!

and replacing with isolating valves but the ones I have seen seem to go
down to about 10mm through the ball and as they will be on low pressure
water I think they would restrict the flow to much. Is there a 15mm
isolating valve that is 15mm all the way through?.

Yup, get some "full bore" leaver ball valves. Much nicer all round
(apart from price)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
news
Trevor Smith wrote:
Yesterday my Showerforce self contained shower started leaking on the
control spindle so I went to turn of the two gate valves and neither the
hot or cold would turn of the water fully, now this is tank pressure
water and they couldn't stop that. I am now thinking of removing them

That sounds about par for the course for a gate valve... useless sodding
things!

and replacing with isolating valves but the ones I have seen seem to go
down to about 10mm through the ball and as they will be on low pressure
water I think they would restrict the flow to much. Is there a 15mm
isolating valve that is 15mm all the way through?.

Yup, get some "full bore" leaver ball valves. Much nicer all round (apart
from price)

--
Cheers,

John.

I didn't think that
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13103/...MORKCSTHZPCFFA
was a bad price,
Trevor Smith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Trevor Smith wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message

Yup, get some "full bore" leaver ball valves. Much nicer all round
(apart from price)

I didn't think that
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13103/...MORKCSTHZPCFFA

Its not in absolute terms, but gate valves are only a third of the price
usually (and not even worth that!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 09:00:40 +0100 someone who may be "Trevor Smith"
wrote this:-

I am now thinking of removing them and replacing
with isolating valves

Or remove them, clean out what is blocking the valve closing fully
and get into the habit of working the valves every six months or so.
Fully closed, fully open and then close 1/4 of a turn. I have yet to
have one that has been worked in this way fail.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

I am now thinking of removing them and replacing
with isolating valves

Or remove them, clean out what is blocking the valve closing fully
and get into the habit of working the valves every six months or so.
Fully closed, fully open and then close 1/4 of a turn. I have yet to
have one that has been worked in this way fail.

If you are having to remove them to clean, surely it would be better to
replace it with a more reliable device that needs less maintanance though!

Toby...

Gate Valves Jen D UK diy 8 August 30th 08 09:17 AM
gate water valves Todd H. Home Ownership 13 December 15th 06 04:41 PM
Gate valves vs. Ball valves. Graham UK diy 28 August 21st 06 08:11 PM
Gate Valves Under Sink - barry martin Home Repair 0 August 24th 04 04:28 AM
Gate Valves Under Sink - Two Problems DangerMan Home Repair 4 August 23rd 04 02:39 PM