DangerMan

Default Gate Valves Under Sink - Two Problems

Well, I tried to shut off the gate valves under the sink so that I
could install new washers on the kitchen faucets and found two
problems.

The hot water valve closed and immediately started leaking. Since
it's a high-rise condominium, I don't have immediate access to the
watershutoff. I tightened the compression nut as tight as I could and
that stopped the leaking --- but every time I reopen the hot water
valve, it leaks.

The cold water valve won't budge!!! I'm pretty big with years of
weight lifting behind me but it won't move at all.

Appreciate any help from the plumbing experts out there.

DJ
Art

Unfortunately those valves only last about 10 years. I heard the new ball
valves last longer but my plumber says the small ones aren't perfected yet
so he is sticking with the old small turnoffs for now. You need to turn off
the water at the shutoffs and replace both valves, unfortunately, which you
probably already new.

"DangerMan" wrote in message
Well, I tried to shut off the gate valves under the sink so that I
could install new washers on the kitchen faucets and found two
problems.

The hot water valve closed and immediately started leaking. Since
it's a high-rise condominium, I don't have immediate access to the
watershutoff. I tightened the compression nut as tight as I could and
that stopped the leaking --- but every time I reopen the hot water
valve, it leaks.

The cold water valve won't budge!!! I'm pretty big with years of
weight lifting behind me but it won't move at all.

Appreciate any help from the plumbing experts out there.

DJ

Nick Hull

In article ,
DangerMan wrote:

Well, I tried to shut off the gate valves under the sink so that I
could install new washers on the kitchen faucets and found two
problems.

The hot water valve closed and immediately started leaking. Since
it's a high-rise condominium, I don't have immediate access to the
watershutoff. I tightened the compression nut as tight as I could and
that stopped the leaking --- but every time I reopen the hot water
valve, it leaks.

Many such valves have a back seat, so if you open it ALL the way the
back seat will stop the stem leak.

The cold water valve won't budge!!! I'm pretty big with years of
weight lifting behind me but it won't move at all.

Are you sure you are turning it in the right direction? Have you tried
wiggling it in both directions?

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Chris Lewis

According to Bill :
FYI - The high-rise I once lived in had a separate water shut-off for each
floor.

Heh.

A friend wanted to replace a sink. There were separate shut-offs in
the basement (for a few apartments at a time), and had gotten permission
from the landlord to shut it off at a reasonable time.

The sink was a bit of a nightmare - iron pipe feeds, was only able to
get it working again by manually reaming out the stubs.

Then the fun began - when my friend tried to turn the water back
on, the shutoff broke...
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Movement in worktop sink cutout John Greenwood UK diy 2 October 9th 03 01:31 PM
Sink Clips Caliban Home Repair 4 September 3rd 03 08:40 PM
Removing a sink Lorne Home Repair 5 September 2nd 03 03:56 AM
Hot/Cold valves for Kitchen sink CMF Home Repair 3 July 31st 03 06:04 PM