John Greenwood

Default Movement in worktop sink cutout

Hi,

I have just noticed that if I press down hard on my sink then the worktop at
the back moves by approximately 2mm. The worktop and sink were installed a
couple of weeks ago. At the back of the sink the worktop is about 4cm in
width.

Should I be worried about this movement?

Is 4cm too small and should I have moved the sink cut-out further from the
back of the worktop?

Will weakness appear over time leading to splitting of the 4cm strip?

I can get to the back from inside the sink base unit and could support this
4cm strip, but it is a pig of a job. Is it worth doing this?

This is the type of thing I lay awake at night worrying about!

John

John Greenwood

Yes by about 2mm

wrote:
Hi,

I have just noticed that if I press down hard on my sink then the

worktop at
the back moves by approximately 2mm. The worktop and sink were installed

couple of weeks ago. At the back of the sink the worktop is about 4cm in
width.

Should I be worried about this movement?

Is 4cm too small and should I have moved the sink cut-out further from

the
back of the worktop?

Will weakness appear over time leading to splitting of the 4cm strip?

I can get to the back from inside the sink base unit and could support

this
4cm strip, but it is a pig of a job. Is it worth doing this?

This is the type of thing I lay awake at night worrying about!

John

Worktop to wall (sealing) John Greenwood UK diy 27 October 3rd 03 09:29 AM
Strange sink squidy stuff John Greenwood UK diy 7 September 18th 03 07:34 AM
Three worktop questions Grunff UK diy 8 September 11th 03 11:58 PM
Sink Waste venting problem BillR UK diy 1 September 9th 03 04:16 AM
Black pads underneath s/s sink? Bob Eager UK diy 3 August 8th 03 12:41 AM