DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Movement in worktop sink cutout (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/2582-movement-worktop-sink-cutout.html)

John Greenwood October 9th 03 12:47 PM

Movement in worktop sink cutout

Hi,

I have just noticed that if I press down hard on my sink then the worktop at
the back moves by approximately 2mm. The worktop and sink were installed a
couple of weeks ago. At the back of the sink the worktop is about 4cm in
width.

Should I be worried about this movement?

Is 4cm too small and should I have moved the sink cut-out further from the
back of the worktop?

Will weakness appear over time leading to splitting of the 4cm strip?

I can get to the back from inside the sink base unit and could support this
4cm strip, but it is a pig of a job. Is it worth doing this?

This is the type of thing I lay awake at night worrying about!

John

Rick Dipper October 9th 03 01:27 PM

Movement in worktop sink cutout

You mean the chipboard bends ?

I would strengthen it. I also make sure mine are as waterproof as possible, water attacks chipboard very fast.

Rick