DangerMan

Default Gate Valves Under Sink - Two Problems

Well, I tried to shut off the gate valves under the sink so that I
could install new washers on the kitchen faucets and found two
problems.

The hot water valve closed and immediately started leaking. Since
it's a high-rise condominium, I don't have immediate access to the
watershutoff. I tightened the compression nut as tight as I could and
that stopped the leaking --- but every time I reopen the hot water
valve, it leaks.

The cold water valve won't budge!!! I'm pretty big with years of
weight lifting behind me but it won't move at all.

Appreciate any help from the plumbing experts out there.

DJ