Dave D

Default Flue Hole

Hullo again.
I have to drill a hole in my exterior wall for my combi flue, (its
sandstone)
I believe I need one of these big cake cutter type drill bits, what
are they called ? Do I need a special drill or is my little 850w house
drill up to the job ?
Is this the kind of thing I can hire ?
Cheers
John

"Dave D" wrote in message
om...
Hullo again.
I have to drill a hole in my exterior wall for my combi flue, (its
sandstone)
I believe I need one of these big cake cutter type drill bits, what
are they called ? Do I need a special drill or is my little 850w house
drill up to the job ?
Is this the kind of thing I can hire ?
Cheers

You`ll need a 110mm core cutter. Ebay is your best bet for a cheep one.
I wouldn`t trust a small drill with it though, will probably burn it out.
You might want to invest in a more powerful SDS drill.
Alternatively just hire the lot from your local tool hire

John

fred

In article , Dave D
writes
Hullo again.
I have to drill a hole in my exterior wall for my combi flue, (its
sandstone)
I believe I need one of these big cake cutter type drill bits, what
are they called ? Do I need a special drill or is my little 850w house
drill up to the job ?
Is this the kind of thing I can hire ?
Cheers

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q...oup=u k.d-i-y

second thread
--
fred (that's grumpy sore throated fred btw :-B)
BigWallop

"Dave D" wrote in message
om...
Hullo again.
I have to drill a hole in my exterior wall for my combi flue, (its
sandstone)
I believe I need one of these big cake cutter type drill bits, what
are they called ? Do I need a special drill or is my little 850w house
drill up to the job ?
Is this the kind of thing I can hire ?
Cheers

For a one of job like this, you'll be better going to a hire shop and
getting the right gear for a day. Shop about and get some quotes before
making your final decision. The drill bit you need is called a core cutter
and the drill machine itself needs to be able to handle one of these big
babies, so you can imagine the power it has to have. Hiring one is the
easiest way.

Have a look at the boiler manufacturers requirements for the flue size
you'll need and then make the choice of the size of core cutter you'll need
to do the job. You'll probably be charged for the amount of millimetres you
wear down the cutter, but it is sandstone your cutting through so it
shouldn't wear down that much. It's a small amount to pay for getting the
whole job done in one go.

Good Luck with it. :-))

Ginty

"BigWallop" wrote in message ...
"Dave D" wrote in message
om...
Hullo again.
I have to drill a hole in my exterior wall for my combi flue, (its
sandstone)
I believe I need one of these big cake cutter type drill bits, what
are they called ? Do I need a special drill or is my little 850w house
drill up to the job ?
Is this the kind of thing I can hire ?
Cheers

Hi All,

I need to do this as well, same story a sandstone wall, but what I was
wondering was will the core cutter actually "hold on" to the core?
The reason I'm asking is because I'm 3 floors up and will be drilling
from the inside out - should I take precautions with pedestrians, or
at the very least my car!

Also I've never fitted a combi before but I was reading through the
installation instructions (for a baxi 105e) and it looks easy enough
to install and commission.
However I've heard that unless you get a CORGI registered bloke to
sign it off the warranty will be void - is this true?
Fair enough I'll get someone qualified in to pipe the gas round to
where I need it, but do I have to pay him to actually fit the boiler?

Cheers,
Stephen
BigWallop

"Ginty" wrote in message
om...
"BigWallop" wrote in message

"Dave D" wrote in message
om...
Hullo again.
I have to drill a hole in my exterior wall for my combi flue, (its
sandstone)
I believe I need one of these big cake cutter type drill bits, what
are they called ? Do I need a special drill or is my little 850w house
drill up to the job ?
Is this the kind of thing I can hire ?
Cheers

Hi All,

I need to do this as well, same story a sandstone wall, but what I was
wondering was will the core cutter actually "hold on" to the core?
The reason I'm asking is because I'm 3 floors up and will be drilling
from the inside out - should I take precautions with pedestrians, or
at the very least my car!

It is safer to have someone looking out for slinters falling from this
height to the pavement. You can wait until nearly through the stone before
sending someone out into the cold though. :-))

Also I've never fitted a combi before but I was reading through the
installation instructions (for a baxi 105e) and it looks easy enough
to install and commission.
However I've heard that unless you get a CORGI registered bloke to
sign it off the warranty will be void - is this true?
Fair enough I'll get someone qualified in to pipe the gas round to
where I need it, but do I have to pay him to actually fit the boiler?

Cheers,
Stephen

You are also safer to have the gas work and commissioning done by a CORGI
engineer. That way any come backs if the boiler does go belly up within
warranty, then no one can say it was your faulty DIY installation. The rest
of the system of course is down to you.

The CORGI engineer should only charge you for the work he's done, but check
that he also signs everything off on the full requirements of the boiler
installation sheet.

Dave D

Hi All
Hired all the kit yesterday, cutting away just nicely, turns out
though its not plaster/bricks/space/sanstone its 30 inches of
sandstone !!!
Its not tough to cut but the corer only does about 8 inches at a time,
so far Ive managed to snap each plug off by jamming a crow bar down
the side. I'm now way inside the wall and cant get any leverage, how
on earth do I snap the plug off ?
Cheers
Colin Wilson

Hired all the kit yesterday, cutting away just nicely, turns out
though its not plaster/bricks/space/sanstone its 30 inches of
sandstone !!!
Its not tough to cut but the corer only does about 8 inches at a time,
so far Ive managed to snap each plug off by jamming a crow bar down
the side. I'm now way inside the wall and cant get any leverage, how
on earth do I snap the plug off ?

Not sure if you have a Makro near you, or if you have / can borrow a=20
card, but they have a cheap SDS drill with chisel action (comes with=20
about 4 chisel bits IIRC) - it`s about =A330 + VAT - that might do the job

--=20
Owain

"Dave D" wrote
| Hired all the kit yesterday, cutting away just nicely, turns out
| though its not plaster/bricks/space/sanstone its 30 inches of
| sandstone !!!
| Its not tough to cut but the corer only does about 8 inches at a time,
| so far Ive managed to snap each plug off by jamming a crow bar down
| the side. I'm now way inside the wall and cant get any leverage, how
| on earth do I snap the plug off ?

(a) Dynamite
(b) Time to start working from the other side and hope you meet in the
middle
(c) Drill some holes in the plug, insert a bloody large Rawlbolt and screw
and screw and screw until it splits the stone, hopefully the plug will come
out in several large chunks

Owain

BigWallop

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
Hired all the kit yesterday, cutting away just nicely, turns out
though its not plaster/bricks/space/sanstone its 30 inches of
sandstone !!!
Its not tough to cut but the corer only does about 8 inches at a time,
so far Ive managed to snap each plug off by jamming a crow bar down
the side. I'm now way inside the wall and cant get any leverage, how
on earth do I snap the plug off ?

Not sure if you have a Makro near you, or if you have / can borrow a
card, but they have a cheap SDS drill with chisel action (comes with
about 4 chisel bits IIRC) - it`s about £30 + VAT - that might do the job.

Or put the crow bar on the plug and give it a Big Wallop with hammer. The
shock should snap the plug out easily enough.

It's a bugger that the wall is this thick. I never expected you to come
back with a problem on cutting a hole in a sandstone wall. Your building
must be one of the best built if the walls are that thick.

But sandstone is soft enough to break easily, so take a big hammer and give
it thump.

Dave D

Cheers Guys
I just went with the large hammer option and after 1/2 an hour of
bashing it gave in.
So now I have a lovely flue hole (I'm 3 stories up)..
So I want to seal round my flue, I dont want to have to get scaffold
put up to let me cement round the hole.
I was just going to get a pipe and fire expanding foam stuff down the
outside of the flue till I see coming out the exterior.
Is this a goer ?
What other options are there, apart from do it properly ;-)

Cheers
BigWallop

"Dave D" wrote in message
om...
Cheers Guys
I just went with the large hammer option and after 1/2 an hour of
bashing it gave in.
So now I have a lovely flue hole (I'm 3 stories up)..
So I want to seal round my flue, I dont want to have to get scaffold
put up to let me cement round the hole.
I was just going to get a pipe and fire expanding foam stuff down the
outside of the flue till I see coming out the exterior.
Is this a goer ?
What other options are there, apart from do it properly ;-)

Cheers

You can get a Flue Collar which sits around the pipe on the outside.
Depending on the size of hole and the amount of space you have around the
pipe, then the collar can be slipped on and glued or riveted just back from
the end of the pipe and then pushed through the hole. It doesn't need to
much space as the collar is very spongy. When you push it out passed the
outside of the wall, it then springs back out to its original shape and
seals the hole.

Have a web search for Flue+Collar and it should give you a few hits.

Dave D

but I
wouldn't expect 30 inches of anything at 3 stories up.

PoP

Neither did I or I would have got somone else to do it !!!!
By the way that is one of the best double entendres I have seen.
;-)
DD