Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plumbing Experts - Help ... !!

Some long time back, I bought a whirlpool bath from Bathstore. I bought the
same water inlet and taps that they had fitted in the showroom. I have just
reached the point where I am ready to fit it all, and am having some
difficulty finding the fittings that I need. The filler unit is a largish
chrome fitting on the bath face, with the water connection points on the
half of it fitted behind the bath face. The actual connection points are
plastic male thread which reads about .8 inch - which seems to be just about
exactly 20mm - across the threads, on my vernier. So what size is this, and
what actually fits it ?

The taps are actually ceramic cartridge valves, with inlet at the bottom,
and outlet at the side. Both of these ports are brass male thread, and read
a tad over 1 inch across the threads. So again, what size actually is this,
and what fits them ?

My incoming water is 22mm both hot and cold, currently with service valves
fitted, no stubs or anything in the tops of these at the moment. So, I need
to get from a 22mm service valve to the inlet port on the valve (tap) at 1"
(?) and then from the outlet port of the valve, again 1" (?) to the bath
filler inlet connector at 20mm.

I had been hoping to use flexis - possibly standard sized tap connectors to
push fit, or push fit to push fit onto tap connectors with pipe stubs etc,
for both sections of each (hot and cold) feed, but looking on, for instance,
B&Q's website, I can't see any combinations of connectors or flexis that
seem to match these sizes. Help please .... d:-\ }

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

Some long time back, I bought a whirlpool bath from Bathstore. I bought the
same water inlet and taps that they had fitted in the showroom. I have just
reached the point where I am ready to fit it all, and am having some
difficulty finding the fittings that I need. The filler unit is a largish
chrome fitting on the bath face, with the water connection points on the
half of it fitted behind the bath face. The actual connection points are
plastic male thread which reads about .8 inch - which seems to be just about
exactly 20mm - across the threads, on my vernier. So what size is this, and
what actually fits it ?

Sounds like they expect a standard 1/2" BSP tap connector. Say something
like:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/15894/...m-x-Pack-of-10

(although for this application plastic pipe and speedfit may be a better
choice, or flexi connectors).

The taps are actually ceramic cartridge valves, with inlet at the bottom,
and outlet at the side. Both of these ports are brass male thread, and read
a tad over 1 inch across the threads. So again, what size actually is this,
and what fits them ?

3/4" BSP I would guess.

My incoming water is 22mm both hot and cold, currently with service valves
fitted, no stubs or anything in the tops of these at the moment. So, I need
to get from a 22mm service valve to the inlet port on the valve (tap) at 1"
(?) and then from the outlet port of the valve, again 1" (?) to the bath
filler inlet connector at 20mm.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/15015/...22mm-x-x-300mm

Just take of the body of the compression fitting on the flexi and and
the remaining nut will screw straight onto your existing service valve.

I had been hoping to use flexis - possibly standard sized tap connectors to
push fit, or push fit to push fit onto tap connectors with pipe stubs etc,
for both sections of each (hot and cold) feed, but looking on, for instance,
B&Q's website, I can't see any combinations of connectors or flexis that
seem to match these sizes. Help please .... d:-\ }

Why are you looking on B&Q's web site and hoping to find anything
useful? ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:

[...]

;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Thanks for that John. So, 1/2" and 3/4". Where on earth is that measured to
equate to the sizes I measured at the threads ? The logic and history of
plumbing fitting sizes are beyond me ... :-)

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote:

[...]

Indeed. A fruitless exercise. Back pocket & sock etc.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

Thanks for that John. So, 1/2" and 3/4". Where on earth is that measured
to equate to the sizes I measured at the threads ? The logic and history
of plumbing fitting sizes are beyond me ... :-)

Arfa

BSP thread sizes relate to the internal diameter of some notional steel pipe
they were designed for. Beyond that I'd have to google.
With all these new building regs:- FENSA, Part P etc. You would have thought
that HMG would have standardised (with a "z" if its a British Standard!!!)
plumbing fittings. I'm in the middle of a major house replumbing exercise
and I've just had a look at some of the spanner sizes I've been using (or
thought might fit) Whitworth 1 1/4,1,...5/8, AF 2",1 3/8, 1 1/8, metric
30,28,24,22,19,18. (and end up using one of the 4 sizes of Bahco
adjustables or one of 2 sizes of slip joint pliers I have). I found no
evidence of consistency on the size of a 15mm compression nut across
manufacturers. I can't understand how plumbers manage - or is it only in
DIY where there's sure to be a joint that requires a spanner and an
adjustables' jaws are too wide to fit into the gap or they are too thick and
foul another part of the fitting?

Whilst I'm in grumpy old man mode I've been told that English Nature /
Natural England have just produced a glossy brochure with picture of farmer
on his ATV and 2 slight problems have been identified with this picture.
Firstly no crash helmet being worn and secondly he has a passenger - a
child. You just can't beat "joined up government"

PeterK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

Thanks for that John. So, 1/2" and 3/4". Where on earth is that measured to
equate to the sizes I measured at the threads ? The logic and history of
plumbing fitting sizes are beyond me ... :-)

The 1/2" is the inside diameter of the an iron barrel pipe. When you
thread the outside you end up with something just over 0.8" because of
the thick pipe wall.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
et...
Arfa Daily wrote:

Thanks for that John. So, 1/2" and 3/4". Where on earth is that measured
to equate to the sizes I measured at the threads ? The logic and history
of plumbing fitting sizes are beyond me ... :-)

The 1/2" is the inside diameter of the an iron barrel pipe. When you
thread the outside you end up with something just over 0.8" because of the
thick pipe wall.

--
Cheers,

John.

Ah-Ha ! Thanks John and others. I am now a little more enlightened. Since
the original post, I have bitten the bullet, and drilled the bloody great
holes in the bath's top edge, to take the taps. Scary stuff ... !

Arfa