Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Well Water, Pentek Filters & Iron Oxide

Hiya! Any info or experiences you can share greatly appreciated.

Situation: Water supply comes from a well (old brick 'tank' approx two
metres deep and one and a half across built over a spring). In the house is
a Grundfoss pump, uv light and sediment filter. These and the pipe work to
the well were installed 3 years ago, replacing old iron pipe work. The water
has been tested and the supply is fine.

The problem (if there is one) is that the Pentek sediment filter gets
clogged up after a couple of weeks (supposed to last 12). It turns an orangy
brown (iron oxide?). I've also found and netted filaments of the same colour
from out of the well.

Currently the pipe in the well has a foot valve and strainer on it.

I've been wondering whether I can provide 'extra' filtration in the well
itself. Cleaning would be easier (no draining down, etc) and the life of the
sediment filters would be prolonged.

I've considered replacing the foot valve with a floating filter (see link
below), but since I'm ignorant about the properties of iron oxide (is it
evenly distributed in water or does it settle out?) I'm unsure whether this
would have a positive effect.

Finally (and apologies for the long post), does anyone know suppliers of
Pentek filters? I've Googled but to no avail. Currently I have t get them
from the hooray-henry who installed the system (sub-contract to a building
firm) and would rather escape his expensive clutches if possible!

Many thanks - Tony

Pentek:
http://www.pentekfiltration.com/en-u...ECP+Series.htm

Floating suction filters: http://www.wisy.de/eng/eng/saf.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"Sumgod" wrote in message
Hiya! Any info or experiences you can share greatly appreciated.

Situation: Water supply comes from a well (old brick 'tank' approx two
metres deep and one and a half across built over a spring). In the house
is a Grundfoss pump, uv light and sediment filter. These and the pipe work
to the well were installed 3 years ago, replacing old iron pipe work. The
water has been tested and the supply is fine.

SNIP

Finally (and apologies for the long post), does anyone know suppliers of
Pentek filters? I've Googled but to no avail. Currently I have t get them
from the hooray-henry who installed the system (sub-contract to a building
firm) and would rather escape his expensive clutches if possible!
Many thanks - Tony

Pentek:
http://www.pentekfiltration.com/en-u...ECP+Series.htm

Floating suction filters: http://www.wisy.de/eng/eng/saf.htm

Tony.
Drop Gary King an email @
http://www.headlinefilters.com
He may well have an element to suit. And will be able to help/answer any
questions.
Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 14:58:09 -0000, Sumgod wrote:

I've also found and netted filaments of the same colour from out of the
well.

I wouldn't expect iron oxide to form filaments, at least not soft or none
brittle ones. These filaments may well be an algae or bacteria.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Feb, 14:58, "Sumgod" wrote:

Situation: Water supply comes from a well (old brick 'tank' approx two
metres deep and one and a half across built over a spring).

Built over a spring? Are you certain or is it belief acquired with the
house?

The reason I ask is that this sounds like a brick cistern. They were
built to collect rain water from the house gutters and paved yards.
It's usable 'grey' water, but not suitable for drinking. You could
check by putting food colouring, or drain tracing dye in the gutters.
I've never heard of a cistern built on a spring, but I'm not Dr.
Drivel so don't claim to know everything.

You could consider a sand filter, it would take the coarse particles
out and prolong the life of cartridge filter. They are similar to
water softeners (i.e., they are water softeners) , but filled with a
suitable sand and not resin. The control valve backflushes it at
intervals and flushes the debris to drain. There are other types used
in swimming pools and aquaria. I seem to recall that green sand was
the filter media to remove iron salts.

There's lots of info on the internet from the USA. There are lots of
rural wells in use out there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Feb, 14:58, "Sumgod" wrote:

a Grundfoss pump, uv light and sediment filter. These and the pipe work to

What type? A red one, by any chance?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Baz" wrote in message

"Sumgod" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Baz! I'll give him a try!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 14:58:09 -0000, Sumgod wrote:

I've also found and netted filaments of the same colour from out of the
well.

I wouldn't expect iron oxide to form filaments, at least not soft or none
brittle ones. These filaments may well be an algae or bacteria.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Thanks for input Dave. It's probably my description that's misleading.
You're right I think when you use the word algae; this stuff is like the
stuff we sometimes get on the pond in summer - except it's orangy brown.

Look he

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...al-wealth.html

It's my (limited) understanding that the colur is coming from iron in the
rocks/ground.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 11 Feb, 14:58, "Sumgod" wrote:
[...]

Pentek:http://www.pentekfiltration.com/en-u...Cartridges/ECP...

Floating suction filters:http://www.wisy.de/eng/eng/saf.htm

hi tony - we have had similar (tho lesser) issues with our spring
supply and iron - presumably if i understand it correctly - your foot
valve and strainer sits on the bottom of this brick "tank"? and so
sucks up sediments etc and sends to your cartridge filter which bungs
up prematurely? - if so could you somehow raise the foot valve somehow
to clear it of the sediment IOW allow the sediment somewhere to
collect *below* the suction level of the pump?

few bricks and a paving slab?

next prob would be how to dispense of accumulated tank sediments when
they build up - but there's ways and means! welcome to private water
supplies!!!

for filters - google WESTDALE FILTERS or try looking for filters on
Ebay - I think what you use is common enough (is it 10inch?) it's just
a matter of finding someone who talks and prices sensibly - NB I
wouldn't worry about the pentek brand as long as you get ones that fit
your housing(s) and offer suitable filtration.

hope it helps

jim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Onetap" wrote in message
On 11 Feb, 14:58, "Sumgod" wrote:

[...]

Thanks Onetap! I'll check out sand filters.

Brick tank is built over a spring. I drained it once (bucket and rope) in
order to make sure it was 'clean' at the bottom. It was. Just a rocky bottom
from which the water seeped out.

The 'well' itself is approx 50 meters from the house. The house or at least
parts of it are 500yrs old. I suspect the presence of the spring may well
account for the house being here in the first place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Onetap" wrote in message
On 11 Feb, 14:58, "Sumgod" wrote:

a Grundfoss pump, uv light and sediment filter. These and the pipe work

What type? A red one, by any chance?

Red? No it's black! A Grundfos self-priming centrifugal pump.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" wrote in message
On 11 Feb, 14:58, "Sumgod" wrote:
[...]

Jim, thanks for info and advice. I'll certainly give Westdale a look. And
you're right it is a 10" one.

As for clogging up the foot valve, that's what I'm not sure about. I could
shorten the pipe so it wasn't so near the bottom. Or get one of those
floating filters. On the other hand if the sediment is evenly distrubuted
thoughout the water, neither of these things would make a difference.

Thanks again Jim!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Sumgod" wrote in message
[...]

If there is space and you have the equipment etc could you not build a
separation tank so that water is drawn from the well into another tank to
settle or have a Pre-Dose" of U.V or coarser filter before being passed to
the filtration for drinking ?

If the foot valve can be suspended around half a metre up some of the
problems may well disappear.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 11 Feb, 20:26, "Sumgod" wrote:
"jim" wrote in message

On 11 Feb, 14:58, "Sumgod" wrote:
[...]

given enough time the sediment should drop to the bottom - is your
supply very "agitated" - i.e. always stirring sediments up in the
"tank"? if so then you could do with somehow removing or lessening the
amount of agitation to allow the iron to drop - in our case it is rust
and is formed when dissolved iron in the water reacts with oxygen at/
near the surface to turn to iron oxides - so what you could look to do
also is encouraging air to mix with your supply and so try to get the
sediment to form, then try to calm things down in your "tank" (if they
are very agitated currently - gushing stream? etc) so that the
sediemnt has time to drop, then take your water via foot valve etc
from well above the sediment layer. periodically you will have to
empty/wash the tank of the sediments that build up - you will know
it's time cos your in house filter will clog too quickly than normal.

not sure what you mean by cloigging the foot valve? - my advice was to
raise the foot valve above the accumulating sediments so that when
your pump pumps it doesn't just suck the sediemnt through and clog
your 10" cartridge filter....

How far off the bottom of the tank does the foot valve sit now?

jim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" wrote in message
On 11 Feb, 20:26, "Sumgod" wrote:
"jim" wrote in message

On 11 Feb, 14:58, "Sumgod" wrote:
[...]

Hiya Jim,

Thanks for your time and help.

The spring fills the tank to overflowing (via piped overflow) imperceptibly.
No agitation.

As I said the foot valve etc was installed 3 yrs ago. It's only recently
that the sediment has become a problem in terms of shortening the usage time
of the filters. Taking your point about air and iron oxides reacting, I'm
wondering if the 3 yrs is about the time for the oxide to build up in the
water around the footvalve (about 9" from the bottom). In which case, as you
say, raising the valve will help.

Sorry about using the word clogging! I did mean to indicate the vale sucking
up the sediment.

Thanks again Jim!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 12 Feb, 18:03, "Sumgod" wrote:
"jim" wrote in message

On 11 Feb, 20:26, "Sumgod" wrote:
"jim" wrote in message

On 11 Feb, 14:58, "Sumgod" wrote:
[...]

Right I'm with you - our tank does build up with "rusty"sediment and
every few years it's time to get the buckets and kids out and empty
all the cr*p out! - ours tank then has a decent 1-2 inches of river
sand put back in the bottom to further discourage turbulence (I expect
- as ours is actually fed from a pipe so falls into the tank).

so for you either time to clean it out OR hoist the footvalve up a bit
and see how you go - altho I suspect you will only put off (and make
much bigger) the task of emptying the sediments out of the tank * one
day*.....

.....wild card - could you take the overflow into a second (plastic?)
tank and use that for your supply? - let the first do most of the
sedimentation work?? just a thought would put off emptying to the max!

cheers
jim

Water Filters Jack Allen Home Repair 9 February 21st 11 10:15 PM
Pur water filters benick[_2_] Home Repair 4 August 12th 08 06:23 AM
2 water filters for 2x the water pressure - idea and advice Jim Rainfordson Home Repair 4 July 7th 08 05:29 PM
Any use for used Brita water filters? Andrew Gabriel UK diy 4 January 14th 07 08:06 AM
CASSWELL COLD BLACK OXIDE WAS Black Oxide "how to"?? in a small scale Pedroman Metalworking 1 February 17th 04 03:48 PM