Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sumgod[_2_] Sumgod[_2_] is offline

Default Well Water, Pentek Filters & Iron Oxide

Hiya! Any info or experiences you can share greatly appreciated.

Situation: Water supply comes from a well (old brick 'tank' approx two
metres deep and one and a half across built over a spring). In the house is
a Grundfoss pump, uv light and sediment filter. These and the pipe work to
the well were installed 3 years ago, replacing old iron pipe work. The water
has been tested and the supply is fine.

The problem (if there is one) is that the Pentek sediment filter gets
clogged up after a couple of weeks (supposed to last 12). It turns an orangy
brown (iron oxide?). I've also found and netted filaments of the same colour
from out of the well.

Currently the pipe in the well has a foot valve and strainer on it.

I've been wondering whether I can provide 'extra' filtration in the well
itself. Cleaning would be easier (no draining down, etc) and the life of the
sediment filters would be prolonged.

I've considered replacing the foot valve with a floating filter (see link
below), but since I'm ignorant about the properties of iron oxide (is it
evenly distributed in water or does it settle out?) I'm unsure whether this
would have a positive effect.

Finally (and apologies for the long post), does anyone know suppliers of
Pentek filters? I've Googled but to no avail. Currently I have t get them
from the hooray-henry who installed the system (sub-contract to a building
firm) and would rather escape his expensive clutches if possible!

Many thanks - Tony

Pentek:
http://www.pentekfiltration.com/en-u...ECP+Series.htm

Floating suction filters: http://www.wisy.de/eng/eng/saf.htm