Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sumgod[_2_] Sumgod[_2_] is offline

Default Well Water, Pentek Filters & Iron Oxide

"jim" wrote in message
On 11 Feb, 14:58, "Sumgod" wrote:
Hiya! Any info or experiences you can share greatly appreciated.

Situation: Water supply comes from a well (old brick 'tank' approx two
metres deep and one and a half across built over a spring). In the house
is
a Grundfoss pump, uv light and sediment filter. These and the pipe work
the well were installed 3 years ago, replacing old iron pipe work. The
water
has been tested and the supply is fine.

The problem (if there is one) is that the Pentek sediment filter gets
clogged up after a couple of weeks (supposed to last 12). It turns an
orangy
brown (iron oxide?). I've also found and netted filaments of the same
colour
from out of the well.

Currently the pipe in the well has a foot valve and strainer on it.

I've been wondering whether I can provide 'extra' filtration in the well
itself. Cleaning would be easier (no draining down, etc) and the life of
the
sediment filters would be prolonged.

I've considered replacing the foot valve with a floating filter (see link
below), but since I'm ignorant about the properties of iron oxide (is it
evenly distributed in water or does it settle out?) I'm unsure whether
this
would have a positive effect.

Finally (and apologies for the long post), does anyone know suppliers of
Pentek filters? I've Googled but to no avail. Currently I have t get them
from the hooray-henry who installed the system (sub-contract to a
building
firm) and would rather escape his expensive clutches if possible!

Many thanks - Tony

Pentek:http://www.pentekfiltration.com/en-u...Cartridges/ECP...

Floating suction filters:http://www.wisy.de/eng/eng/saf.htm

hi tony - we have had similar (tho lesser) issues with our spring
supply and iron - presumably if i understand it correctly - your foot
valve and strainer sits on the bottom of this brick "tank"? and so
sucks up sediments etc and sends to your cartridge filter which bungs
up prematurely? - if so could you somehow raise the foot valve somehow
to clear it of the sediment IOW allow the sediment somewhere to
collect *below* the suction level of the pump?

few bricks and a paving slab?

next prob would be how to dispense of accumulated tank sediments when
they build up - but there's ways and means! welcome to private water
supplies!!!

for filters - google WESTDALE FILTERS or try looking for filters on
Ebay - I think what you use is common enough (is it 10inch?) it's just
a matter of finding someone who talks and prices sensibly - NB I
wouldn't worry about the pentek brand as long as you get ones that fit
your housing(s) and offer suitable filtration.

hope it helps

jim

Jim, thanks for info and advice. I'll certainly give Westdale a look. And
you're right it is a 10" one.

As for clogging up the foot valve, that's what I'm not sure about. I could
shorten the pipe so it wasn't so near the bottom. Or get one of those
floating filters. On the other hand if the sediment is evenly distrubuted
thoughout the water, neither of these things would make a difference.

Thanks again Jim!