Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default AEG washing machine - help sought

I have an AEG Oko-Lavamat 605 washing machine,
and I am trying to take off the front cover
to remove something from between the disks.

The machine suddenly developed a scraping noise,
and when I asked at my local AEG dealer/maintainer
he told me that the problem was almost certainly
something (he suggested a bit of a bra)
caught between the two drums,
rather than a bad bearing as I had supposed.

He told me, rather vaguely, that I could get at the space
between the drums by removing the front panel.

I have removed two bolts at the bottom of the panel,
and this allows the bottom of the pane to pulled out for a few inches,
But something - I do not know what -
is holding the top of the panel.
I don't think it can be a bolt, as the panel opens to about 20 degrees.

If anyone knows how to remove this panel,
or has any suggestion of what I might try,
I should be most grateful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:

[...]

Replying to myself, I managed to remove the panel;
I found it was held by 2 more screws at the top,
hidden under the control panel,
which had to be removed to undo them.

Unfortunately, I found that removing the front panel
did not give me access to the space between the drums,
so I am resigned to calling in the AEG expert to solve the problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Jan, 01:30, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Timothy Murphy wrote:

Replying to myself, I managed to remove the panel;
I found it was held by 2 more screws at the top,
hidden under the control panel,
which had to be removed to undo them.

Unfortunately, I found that removing the front panel
did not give me access to the space between the drums,
so I am resigned to calling in the AEG expert to solve the problem.- Hide quoted text -

To remove random objects, you may be lucky and be able to remove them
through the connection to where the drain-out pump joins the outer
plastic tub which houses the metal drum that actually spins. If not,
then it's a case of splitting the platic tub in the middle (there are
about 9 screws IIRC around the circumference. You need a deep socket
for those and to remove most of the innards of the machine. I had to
do it in 2007 for changing the bearings and seals. You can tell if
those are shot by the presence of rusty water stains around the back
by the large pulley.
Perfectly possible to do, I bought a Haynes book and kissed goodbye to
a fair amount of TV watching/ newspaper reading time. The satisfaction
was plumbing it back in and running an empty cycle.
Good luck.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Timothy Murphy wrote:

I have an AEG Oko-Lavamat 605 washing machine,
and I am trying to take off the front cover
to remove something from between the disks.

The machine suddenly developed a scraping noise,
and when I asked at my local AEG dealer/maintainer
he told me that the problem was almost certainly
something (he suggested a bit of a bra)
caught between the two drums,
rather than a bad bearing as I had supposed.

He told me, rather vaguely, that I could get at the space
between the drums by removing the front panel.

I had a similar problem with an Indesit machine, which had a cable-tie
trapped between the two drums (and also had faulty bearings as it turned
out). I found that by shining one of those '10 gazillion candle power'
type torches into the back of the machine, the opaque plastic drum
became transparent, and by slowly turning the inner drum by hand I could
clearly see between the drums by looking through the door. The cable-tie
could then be extracted from the bottom drain hole with the help of a
thin screwdriver and a small child.

Thanks,
Ben
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 19:54:47 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

If anyone knows how to remove this panel,
or has any suggestion of what I might try,
I should be most grateful.

http://www.teamhack.de/index.php?site=anleitungen

Number 25, wot is in German, which you may be able to read or babelfish...

If not, let me know.

Thomas Prufer

mortising machine advice (given and sought) Andy Woodworking 4 April 7th 07 01:22 AM
Which Washing Machine ?? Tim.. UK diy 42 August 25th 06 06:46 PM
How big should washing machine be? [email protected] Home Ownership 3 October 5th 05 02:29 AM
More washing machine assistance sought William Warburton UK diy 1 December 9th 04 04:02 PM
Washing machine not washing Carl Home Repair 2 March 6th 04 05:32 PM