Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which Washing Machine ??

11yo Candy has just died, so what is the groups opinion to its successor??
Bosch ??

Tim..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Miele if you can afford it.

Currently full 10 year warranty on some models.

Recently bought a W3240 (co-op online had the best price).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

" typed

Miele if you can afford it.

Agreed.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Rob is offline

Tim.. wrote:
11yo Candy has just died, so what is the groups opinion to its successor??
Bosch ??

Bosch! mine flooded the utility room twice. Level sensor assembled the wrong
way round. Bosch thought it was a trivial event. I did not.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim..
writes
11yo Candy has just died, so what is the groups opinion to its successor??
Bosch ??

Miele, Bosch and AEG seem to always come out well in Which reviews. We
have a AEG dishwasher that has worked reliably. But then so has our
pretty cheap Indesit W/M for the last 11-12 years
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Tim.. wrote:
11yo Candy has just died, so what is the groups opinion to its
successor?? Bosch ??

Tim..

LG have just released a direct drive (near silent) steam based washer.

http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/general..._of_the_future

"t dramatically cuts water usage – which is topical, given that we’re facing a
drought this summer – as well as requiring less electricity. According to LG,
the washing machine used 35% less water and 21% less energy when tested
against a conventional model.

In addition to its eco-friendly credentials, steam-cleaning also reduces shrinkage
and extends the life of your threads. And if you’re as repulsed by menial domestic
chores as we are, you’ll love the Refresh programme, which removes creases
from garments in 20 minutes – you might as well chuck out that outdated iron today"

presumably you can lob the ironing board away, too. £800 and it's "network
compatible", whatever that means LOL

we're probably getting one for xmas.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 19:15:54 UTC, "." wrote:

In addition to its eco-friendly credentials, steam-cleaning also reduces shrinkage
and extends the life of your threads. And if youre as repulsed by menial domestic
chores as we are, youll love the Refresh programme, which removes creases
from garments in 20 minutes  you might as well chuck out that outdated iron today"

presumably you can lob the ironing board away, too. £800 and it's "network
compatible", whatever that means LOL

Blast! The utility room is the only one I never put an ethernet
socket...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Another vote for Miele, build quality is way beyond anything else. Have a
look at one in a shop and try to move it, they weigh a bloody tonne, proper
metal hinges and the few bits that are made of plastic are decent thick
stuff !

We love ours

HTH
Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "." contains these words:

In addition to its eco-friendly credentials, steam-cleaning also
reduces shrinkage
and extends the life of your threads. And if you’re as repulsed by
menial domestic
chores as we are, you’ll love the Refresh programme, which removes creases
from garments in 20 minutes – you might as well chuck out that
outdated iron today"

Wonder how it does on scale? Anything that generates steam also
generates problems with limescale unless it's got a proper water
softener built in. Even then there are still potential troubles.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

Blast! The utility room is the only one I never put an ethernet
socket...

If I'd thought about it I could have dropped one while I had the boy's
floor up last week. I'm buggered if I'm lifting it all again.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

.. wrote:

"t dramatically cuts water usage - which is topical, given that we're facing a
drought this summer - as well as requiring less electricity. According to LG,
the washing machine used 35% less water and 21% less energy when tested
against a conventional model.

In the west of Scotland there is little issue with drought (its about
the only
thing going for it) hence I'm slightly annoyed at "modern" machines
taking in
a teacup of water and attempting to wash clothes with it.
A half-full drum of water is a wonder to behold...

Mungo (now ducking because of the obvious replies I'm about to get :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Guy King wrote:
The message
from "." contains these words:

In addition to its eco-friendly credentials, steam-cleaning also
reduces shrinkage
and extends the life of your threads. And if you’re as repulsed by
menial domestic
chores as we are, you’ll love the Refresh programme, which removes
creases from garments in 20 minutes – you might as well chuck out
that
outdated iron today"

Wonder how it does on scale? Anything that generates steam also
generates problems with limescale unless it's got a proper water
softener built in. Even then there are still potential troubles.

F singing washing machines last longer with calgon /FX ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"." writes:
F singing washing machines last longer with calgon /FX ?

Which is complete ******** in my experience.

I've had a Hotpoint for nearly 20 years. It's had a few
things go wrong in that time which I've repaired, but none
of them have anything to do with the hard water it's used
on. Indeed, having had it to bits a few times, there's
not a lot of hard water scale anywhere inside the machine
and only a thin layer on the heating element (which is the
original), and I've never used calgon or anything else to
descale it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-22 18:50:34 +0100, "Tim.."
said:

11yo Candy has just died, so what is the groups opinion to its successor??
Bosch ??

Tim..

Miele.

Not worth wasting time on anything else.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

happy with my Bosch. and would second the coop online as the place to buy -
http://www.coopelectricalshop.co.uk/

"Tim.." wrote in message
11yo Candy has just died, so what is the groups opinion to its successor??
Bosch ??

Tim..

Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"." writes:
F singing washing machines last longer with calgon /FX ?

Which is complete ******** in my experience.

snip humourlessness

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from "Mungo" contains these words:

In the west of Scotland there is little issue with drought (its about
the only
thing going for it) hence I'm slightly annoyed at "modern" machines
taking in
a teacup of water and attempting to wash clothes with it.
A half-full drum of water is a wonder to behold...

There's no reason why you can't adjust the level-switch. They're only a
screw on the face of the unit.
http://shop.ezee-fix.co.uk/hpt1600702.jpg
shows a typical unit. May take a while to work out which screw does
what, but it's not impossible.

As a kid we used a pair of them to control hydroplanes in a torpedo. Ran
from two car batteries, built into a length of 12" diameter plastic pipe
we found on the motorway works. Somewhere, in the bottom of a deep
excavation on the M26 between Otford and Sevenoaks is a sunken torpedo.

Happy days.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo wrote:

In the west of Scotland there is little issue with drought (its about
the only
thing going for it) hence I'm slightly annoyed at "modern" machines
taking in
a teacup of water and attempting to wash clothes with it.
A half-full drum of water is a wonder to behold...

I agree, my Miele has a 'Water plus' button which tells it to fill the
drum to a decent level rather than use a couple of teaspoonfulls. you
can also set this to be permanently on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
" typed

Miele if you can afford it.

Agreed.

And another vote for Miele, I recently bought a W3444, 10 year
warranty, weighs a ton but when it's spinning at 1600 rpm you can
hardly hear it, worth every penny.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

.. wrote:
Tim.. wrote:

presumably you can lob the ironing board away, too. £800 and it's "network
compatible", whatever that means LOL

My Miele has a USB socket - their reasoning is that as washing powder
technology changes over the 20 year projected lifespan they'll be able
to upload new wash programs to the machine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

peter wrote:
. wrote:
Tim.. wrote:

presumably you can lob the ironing board away, too. £800 and it's
"network compatible", whatever that means LOL

My Miele has a USB socket - their reasoning is that as washing powder
technology changes over the 20 year projected lifespan they'll be able
to upload new wash programs to the machine.

which means you could back up your wash program, hack it and sneakily
upload the hax0red program to someone elses miele washer do extra
foam and no wash or just sit there, sulking like an emo washer LOL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

peter wrote:
Mungo wrote:
In the west of Scotland there is little issue with drought (its about
the only
thing going for it) hence I'm slightly annoyed at "modern" machines
taking in
a teacup of water and attempting to wash clothes with it.
A half-full drum of water is a wonder to behold...

I agree, my Miele has a 'Water plus' button which tells it to fill the
drum to a decent level rather than use a couple of teaspoonfulls. you
can also set this to be permanently on.

Ain't technology great!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
F singing washing machines last longer with calgon /FX ?

Which is complete ******** in my experience.

I've had a Hotpoint for nearly 20 years. It's had a few
things go wrong in that time which I've repaired, but none
of them have anything to do with the hard water it's used
on. Indeed, having had it to bits a few times, there's
not a lot of hard water scale anywhere inside the machine
and only a thin layer on the heating element (which is the
original), and I've never used calgon or anything else to
descale it.

If you work out the cost of using Calgon every wash you've paid for a new
machine in a few years...

--
*How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"." writes:
F singing washing machines last longer with calgon /FX ?

Which is complete ******** in my experience.

I've had a Hotpoint for nearly 20 years. It's had a few
things go wrong in that time which I've repaired, but none
of them have anything to do with the hard water it's used
on. Indeed, having had it to bits a few times, there's
not a lot of hard water scale anywhere inside the machine
and only a thin layer on the heating element (which is the
original), and I've never used calgon or anything else to
descale it.

Besides which there is the issue of the cost of regular calgon usage -
arguably higher than the cost of the repairs that might otherwise be
required (notwithstanding what you've said above).

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-22 18:50:34 +0100, "Tim.."
said:

11yo Candy has just died, so what is the groups opinion to its successor??
Bosch ??

Tim..

Miele.

Not worth wasting time on anything else.

What he said.

You can expect 10 years life out of a £200 machine with maybe another
£200 on repairs. If I had a house full of kids or was running a guest
house, I might choose Miele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-22 18:50:34 +0100, "Tim.."
said:

11yo Candy has just died, so what is the groups opinion to its successor??
Bosch ??

Tim..

Miele.

Not worth wasting time on anything else.

What he said.

You may be right, but how many have you actually tried? Or rather, can
it beat my 15-yo Hoover, on which I have spent about £10 and 10 hours in
repairs? (By the way, thread convergenceit's got a bra wire inside it
as well, and i don't see how it could shred anything/thread
convergence). I do realise of course that today's Hoovers are a
different story.

I know one can't buy them any more, but I'd be very interested in any
reports of Dyson's washing machine -- both in terms of efficacy and also
with respect to reliability.

Douglas de Lacey
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

You can expect 10 years life out of a £200 machine with maybe another
£200 on repairs. If I had a house full of kids or was running a guest
house, I might choose Miele

It's not just about durability, the Miele does a better job of actually
washing clothes as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

We've had three washing machines in our 28 year married life. A Hotpoint
which wore out beyond economic repair, a Philips which I repaired
several times, but eventually it too wore out, and the Miele, which
we've only had a couple of years. It's much better built than the
previous ones, which themselves were much better built than today's
machines - the Philips lasted about 20 years (the Hotpoint was second
hand, so I don't know how long that lasted) - I very much doubt a
modern equivalent would last that long.

I've had two in 22 years. A Servis that lasted about 15, and a Bosch
that's still going strong after 7 without a hiccup. A modern Servis
looks absolutely nothing like the one I reluctantly threw out (it was
still working, but the then house manager objected to the rust), but I
would put money on Bosch remaining a sound buy. I've had the lid off
it to unhook the dispenser tray for a thorough cleaning, and it's very
neat inside.

No doubt a Miele is better, but it's also more expensive. When I
bought the Bosch, one salesman suggested I should get 10 years use of
it, possibly more like 20 for Miele/AEG, and maybe 2 for just about
everything else in the shop :-o

If the OP has access to a John Lewis store, I'd place some faith in
their opinion, which is very much not of the "flog what's in stock"
variety.

--
"Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
" typed

Miele if you can afford it.

Incidentally, what is the correct pronunciation of Miele? (I see it's
German)

Whilst Google is usually my friend for most questions these days a
quick search on 'miele pronounced'
(http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...onounced&meta=) gives
at least five different answers in the first ten results!! :-)

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mathew Newton wrote:

Incidentally, what is the correct pronunciation of Miele? (I see it's
German)

meel-uh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-22 18:50:34 +0100, "Tim.."
said:

11yo Candy has just died, so what is the groups opinion to its

successor??
Bosch ??

Tim..
Miele.

Not worth wasting time on anything else.

What he said.

You can expect 10 years life out of a £200 machine with maybe another
£200 on repairs. If I had a house full of kids or was running a guest
house, I might choose Miele

Worringly, the dead Candy I need to replace has cost a grand total of about
10quid (door seal) to run during its 11year life.

Tim..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble typed

You can expect 10 years life out of a £200 machine with maybe another
£200 on repairs. If I had a house full of kids or was running a guest
house, I might choose Miele

It's not just money though. The inconvenience of a non-funtioning
machine costs my mental health quite a bit...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In the west of Scotland there is little issue with drought (its about
the only thing going for it) hence I'm slightly annoyed at "modern"
machines taking in a teacup of water and attempting to wash clothes
with it.

That water needs to be treated, pumped and heated, all of which produces CO2
and other pollution.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's not just about durability, the Miele does a better job of actually
washing clothes as well.

Although spending the money on an ion exchange water softener instead will
make even the mankiest washing machine wash well.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge typed

That's what the bloke in John Lewis told us, too. And I have a *lot*
of time for JL.

Coo! I'm agreeing with you *again*! Am I ill?

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge typed

On 2006-08-23, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
Huge typed

That's what the bloke in John Lewis told us, too. And I have a *lot*
of time for JL.

Coo! I'm agreeing with you *again*! Am I ill?

No, just initially mistaken.

There's nothing wrong with my 'H'; you might have one too!

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC DJC is offline

Huge wrote:
The salesman in John Lewis said that the Dyson w/m there had to be
constantly repaired as people snapped bits off it in the showroom. If
they can't survive in a showroom, I don't want one.

Agreed. Looking at the state of the showroom model is always a good way
to estimate durability.

Washing machine drain [email protected] UK diy 15 June 2nd 06 10:28 AM
kms kuba sewing machinery Metalworking 0 May 9th 06 02:34 PM
kms kuba sewing machinery Metalworking 0 April 3rd 06 12:45 PM
kms kuba sewing machinery Metalworking 0 April 3rd 06 12:45 PM
Zanussi FL1012 Washing Machine fault James UK diy 5 August 4th 04 01:45 PM