Christian McArdle

Default Filler in sealant gun tube

Why is it that you can't seem to get cellolose filler (i.e. Polyfilla) in a
sealant gun cartridge? You can get Caulk and Silicone, but neither of these
take to sanding very well. Is there a brand or supplier that supplies a
proper filler?

Christian.

David W.E. Roberts

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
t...
Why is it that you can't seem to get cellolose filler (i.e. Polyfilla) in

sealant gun cartridge? You can get Caulk and Silicone, but neither of

these
take to sanding very well. Is there a brand or supplier that supplies a
proper filler?

Christian.

B&Q et al do a 'gap filler' in a tube, which is allegedly sandable,
paintable, stainable and changes the baby :-)

John Armstrong

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 18:10:09 +0100, Christian McArdle wrote:

Why is it that you can't seem to get cellolose filler (i.e. Polyfilla) in a
sealant gun cartridge? You can get Caulk and Silicone, but neither of these
take to sanding very well. Is there a brand or supplier that supplies a
proper filler?

Christian.

I have some Cuprinol wood filler in a cartridge tube. Came from Focus.
TimM

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
t...
Why is it that you can't seem to get cellolose filler (i.e. Polyfilla) in

sealant gun cartridge? You can get Caulk and Silicone, but neither of

these
take to sanding very well. Is there a brand or supplier that supplies a
proper filler?

Christian.

Like this? http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...72289&id=12533

BillR

TimM wrote:
"Christian McArdle" wrote in
message t...
Why is it that you can't seem to get cellolose filler (i.e.
Polyfilla) in a sealant gun cartridge? You can get Caulk and
Silicone, but neither of these take to sanding very well. Is there a
brand or supplier that supplies a proper filler?

Christian.

Like this?

Thats bog standard acrylic filler. It isn't sandable as the OP wanted.

John Stumbles

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
t...
Why is it that you can't seem to get cellolose filler (i.e. Polyfilla) in

sealant gun cartridge? You can get Caulk and Silicone, but neither of

these
take to sanding very well. Is there a brand or supplier that supplies a
proper filler?

Christian.

And while we're in Why-Oh-Why mode why's an empty (well, refillable) gun
cartridge 25 _quid_!
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/...ts.jsp?n=17951
Anyone know where to get empty cartridges (the sort they fill with silicone
etc) that one could fill oneself (as in DIY :-) ? Should cost more like 25
pence.

--
John Stumbles
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

PoP

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 22:02:24 +0100, "John Stumbles"
] wrote:

And while we're in Why-Oh-Why mode why's an empty (well, refillable) gun
cartridge 25 _quid_!
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/...ts.jsp?n=17951
Anyone know where to get empty cartridges (the sort they fill with silicone
etc) that one could fill oneself (as in DIY :-) ? Should cost more like 25
pence.

Yes, but you aren't paying for the empty cartridge - it's the air they
have to ship with it that costs the money!

Looking at that design suggests to me that it surely can't be all that
difficult to fabricate your own "empty" cartridge. All you need do is
buy a tube of regular sealant (£1.60-ish), vacate the cartridge, and
then cleanse it out.

Surely job done?

PoP

Mary Fisher

B&Q et al do a 'gap filler' in a tube, which is allegedly sandable,
paintable, stainable and changes the baby :-)

For what or into what?

Mary

robgraham

I've tried using empty cartridges for such things as cement when pointing
between slabs. Seemed the ideal thing. However, I found that you cannot push
wet cement through a nozzle. It just firms up like sand on the seashore does
when you tread on it. So maybe this is what happens to Polyfilla. Also, I
suspect the Polyfilla would set in the nozzle between usages.

Rob Graham

John

"PoP" wrote in message
Looking at that design suggests to me that it surely can't be all that
difficult to fabricate your own "empty" cartridge. All you need do is
buy a tube of regular sealant (£1.60-ish), vacate the cartridge, and
then cleanse it out.

Surely job done?

PoP

I have often wondered about making one of these for grouting tiles etc.
Don't know if it would be any quicker but surely cleaner and less 'sponging'
down the tiles. Anybody done this and if so what were the results like and
how did you get the plunger out of the sealant tube? Does it just push out
from the business end using a suitable rod etc? I will try that next time I
have an empty cartridge.

Cheers

John

Michael Mcneil

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message

B&Q et al do a 'gap filler' in a tube, which is allegedly sandable,
paintable, stainable and changes the baby :-)

For what or into what?

From a squidgey glob that takes in even squishier globs at one end
(simultaneously producing squidgey globs at the other) into a real hard
knock, with no rough edges?

stuart noble

robgraham wrote in message ...

I've tried using empty cartridges for such things as cement when pointing
between slabs. Seemed the ideal thing. However, I found that you cannot

push
wet cement through a nozzle. It just firms up like sand on the seashore

does
when you tread on it. So maybe this is what happens to Polyfilla.

IME it happens to anything with a lot of aggregate. Mastics and the like
have a creamy consistency and are the only things suitable for a cartridge.
To me the Screwfix cartridge is a non-starter. Anything you can easily load
into it will suffer from the above and anything that would actually work
would be impossible to load into it.

stuart noble

John wrote in message ...
I have often wondered about making one of these for grouting tiles etc.
Don't know if it would be any quicker but surely cleaner and less

'sponging'
down the tiles. Anybody done this and if so what were the results like and
how did you get the plunger out of the sealant tube? Does it just push out
from the business end using a suitable rod etc? I will try that next time

have an empty cartridge.

I'd save yourself the trouble. Rob's sand on the seashore effect would
surely apply.

N. Thornton

John wrote:

how did you get the plunger out of the sealant tube? Does it just

push out
from the business end using a suitable rod etc?

yup, just pushes out.

"robgraham" wrote in message ...

I've tried using empty cartridges for such things as cement when pointing
between slabs. Seemed the ideal thing. However, I found that you cannot push
wet cement through a nozzle. It just firms up like sand on the seashore does
when you tread on it.

yeah, its a shame, as one would be ideal for pointing brickwork. There
are mortars you can use that will work with them, but not sharp sand
based ones.

Before cartridges I used a polythene bag. Put your stuff in, snip off
the corner, off ya go. No cleaning either.

Regards, NT
Mary Fisher

"Michael Mcneil" wrote in message
news:41cc858ded9544dd6043007f75df1343.45219@mygate .mailgate.org...
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message

B&Q et al do a 'gap filler' in a tube, which is allegedly sandable,
paintable, stainable and changes the baby :-)

For what or into what?

From a squidgey glob that takes in even squishier globs at one end
(simultaneously producing squidgey globs at the other) into a real hard
knock, with no rough edges?

I think I'd rather EXchange it ...

Mary

John Laird

wrote:

Why is it that you can't seem to get cellolose filler (i.e. Polyfilla) in a
sealant gun cartridge? You can get Caulk and Silicone, but neither of these
take to sanding very well. Is there a brand or supplier that supplies a
proper filler?

You can get Polyfilla in a squeezable "tube", however. Lasts for ages and
is very handy. I'm not sure I follow the need for an actual cartridge.

--
John
Mail john rather than nospam...

fluorescent tube still flickering p cooper UK diy 6 October 2nd 03 08:09 PM
Is there any such thing as a wood filler that doesn't crack? Alex UK diy 1 September 9th 03 05:31 PM
Removing flexible filler spog UK diy 2 September 6th 03 01:00 PM
Plastic filler (grout) round bath? Alan Holmes UK diy 1 August 10th 03 02:10 PM
painting sealant? Ed UK diy 3 July 4th 03 08:49 PM