Ed

Default painting sealant?

I've noticed recently that the sealant around some exterior windows has been
painted in the past. The paint, only on the sealant, is mostly cracked and
crazed but I'm sure it says on some sealants that they can be painted over.

Should a primer be used on it before the u/coat and topcoat or what's the
correct method?

TY

Grunff

Ed wrote:
I've noticed recently that the sealant around some exterior windows has been
painted in the past. The paint, only on the sealant, is mostly cracked and
crazed but I'm sure it says on some sealants that they can be painted over.

Should a primer be used on it before the u/coat and topcoat or what's the
correct method?

If it's silicone, which is most likely is, then no paint will
stick to it properly. The only thing I've had mild success with
is smooth finish hammerite, which seems to stay fairly flexible,
and so doesn't crack.

--
Grunff

Michael McNeil

Grunff wrote in message ...
Ed wrote:
I've noticed recently that the sealant around some exterior windows has been
painted in the past. The paint, only on the sealant, is mostly cracked and
crazed but I'm sure it says on some sealants that they can be painted over.

Should a primer be used on it before the u/coat and topcoat or what's the
correct method?

If it's silicone, which is most likely is, then no paint will
stick to it properly. The only thing I've had mild success with
is smooth finish hammerite, which seems to stay fairly flexible,
and so doesn't crack.

But there is nothing to stop you ripping it off and repointing it with
a more suitable colour. I am assuming it is so bad that the work would
be worth it.
Simon

"Ed" wrote in message ...
I've noticed recently that the sealant around some exterior windows has

been
painted in the past. The paint, only on the sealant, is mostly cracked and
crazed but I'm sure it says on some sealants that they can be painted

over.

Should a primer be used on it before the u/coat and topcoat or what's the
correct method?

TY

The best thing you can paint it with is more sealant. Wash thoroughly with
white spirit, then get some standard artists oil paint and mix with clear
sealant (or coloured if you can find a good colour match) and white spirit
to form a silicone based paint, it should stick fine and not crack.