Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stick on LED lights with light sensor?

There seem to be lots of these little stick on LED lights around.

Something like that would be ideal for lighting our small under stairs
cupboard used for storing the kitchen crockery.

But I ones that I have turn on would just annoy. I'm looking for some
that have a built in light/dawn-dusk sensor so will turn themselves on.

I can't find any, anyone know if such a thing exists yet?

Yes, i know I could fit a sensor and wire in a light etc, but that
require rather too much in the way of roundtuits at the moment
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 16:40:05 +0000, chris French
wrote:

But I ones that I have turn on would just annoy. I'm looking for some
that have a built in light/dawn-dusk sensor so will turn themselves on.

Um - so they turn on when it is dark or light?
If when it is dark, then it will be on all the time the door is closed (unless
it sees its own light in which case it switches off and then it gets dark agin
so...)
If it turns on when you open the door and let some light in then it will see its
own light and stay on...
You can buy them with a door switch (magnet) built in I think.

--
Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Geo
writes
wrote:

But I ones that I have turn on would just annoy. I'm looking for some
that have a built in light/dawn-dusk sensor so will turn themselves on.

Um - so they turn on when it is dark or light?
If when it is dark, then it will be on all the time the door is closed (unless
it sees its own light in which case it switches off and then it gets dark agin
so...)
If it turns on when you open the door and let some light in then it
will see its
own light and stay on...
You can buy them with a door switch (magnet) built in I think.

My mum just bought one with a PIR or some similar sort of sensor, tiny
little thing that she's put over the front door. It works very well, if
interested I can ask if she still has the packaging or instructions...
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French laid this down on his screen :
There seem to be lots of these little stick on LED lights around.

Something like that would be ideal for lighting our small under stairs
cupboard used for storing the kitchen crockery.

But I ones that I have turn on would just annoy. I'm looking for some that
have a built in light/dawn-dusk sensor so will turn themselves on.

I can't find any, anyone know if such a thing exists yet?

Yes, i know I could fit a sensor and wire in a light etc, but that require
rather too much in the way of roundtuits at the moment

I don't quite see how this would work, a dawn to dusk sensor inside a
dark cupboard?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 17:23:43 +0000, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I don't quite see how this would work, a dawn to dusk sensor inside a
dark cupboard?

Not a good power-saving measure :-) I assume the OP means to have a
separate switch to control on/off, and the sensor dictates the level of
supplemental lighting.

Oh, against my better judgement, I bought some cheap little stick-on
closet lights the other day (incandescents though, running off a couple of
AA's each). They're utterly crap and provide no useful light whatsoever -
far less than what naturally illuminates the cupboard space via the open
doors if the room light's turned on (which isn't much, but still better
than these things).

Needless to say, I'll have to just do things properly and hard-wire some
proper lights and a switch in there...

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 11:50:41 -0600, Jules wrote:

I don't quite see how this would work, a dawn to dusk sensor inside a
dark cupboard?

Not a good power-saving measure :-) I assume the OP means to have a
separate switch to control on/off, and the sensor dictates the level of
supplemental lighting.

No, just invert the logic of the dawn to dusk sensor light comes on when
it's light enough. Can't help thinking that the power required to have the
sensor circuit running all the time will mean the batteries are flat when
ever you open the cupboard...

Get a bit of bell wire, an arm operated micro switch and a couple of
screws to fix the switch. Microswitch is held off with the door closed.
Place the microswitch in series with the units switch, you can then have
manual control whilst in there or wanting to leave the door open for a
while but it's impossible to leave on with the door shut and can be
automatic.

http://cpc.farnell.com/camden-electr...tch-35-6mm-lev
er/dp/SW00621

Choosen 'cause it had a picture. You could go posh and have a roller on
the end of the lever.

Done this with mains lighting in a loft (switches off when hatch shut) and
in a pantry (switches on with open door).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 16:52:58 GMT, Geo wrote:

You can buy them with a door switch (magnet) built in I think.

Yep - 3 of them for £3.99 +postage on ebay:-
http://tinyurl.com/8udcgp
--
Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote:
There seem to be lots of these little stick on LED lights around.

Something like that would be ideal for lighting our small under stairs
cupboard used for storing the kitchen crockery.

But I ones that I have turn on would just annoy. I'm looking for some
that have a built in light/dawn-dusk sensor so will turn themselves on.

I can't find any, anyone know if such a thing exists yet?

I bought some in Costco last November, in packs of three for about £8.

Used in a dark cupboard, they sense a little light when the door is
opened and switch on. There's also an override.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry
Bloomfield writes
chris French laid this down on his screen :
There seem to be lots of these little stick on LED lights around.

Something like that would be ideal for lighting our small under
stairs cupboard used for storing the kitchen crockery.

But I ones that I have turn on would just annoy. I'm looking for some
that have a built in light/dawn-dusk sensor so will turn themselves
on.

I can't find any, anyone know if such a thing exists yet?

Yes, i know I could fit a sensor and wire in a light etc, but that
require rather too much in the way of roundtuits at the moment

I don't quite see how this would work, a dawn to dusk sensor inside a
dark cupboard?

Indeed, I was talking a load of rubbish of course - whoops, brain fart
:-)

I did mean of course a light sensor that would turn on when it got
exposed to light. alternatively a little PIR sensor would do the job.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Clint Sharp
writes
In message , Geo
writes
wrote:

But I ones that I have turn on would just annoy. I'm looking for some
that have a built in light/dawn-dusk sensor so will turn themselves on.

Um - so they turn on when it is dark or light?
If when it is dark, then it will be on all the time the door is closed (unless
it sees its own light in which case it switches off and then it gets dark agin
so...)
If it turns on when you open the door and let some light in then it
will see its
own light and stay on...
You can buy them with a door switch (magnet) built in I think.

My mum just bought one with a PIR or some similar sort of sensor, tiny
little thing that she's put over the front door. It works very well, if
interested I can ask if she still has the packaging or instructions...

I'm interested yes.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message et, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 11:50:41 -0600, Jules wrote:

I don't quite see how this would work, a dawn to dusk sensor inside a
dark cupboard?

Not a good power-saving measure :-) I assume the OP means to have a
separate switch to control on/off, and the sensor dictates the level of
supplemental lighting.

No, just invert the logic of the dawn to dusk sensor light comes on when
it's light enough. Can't help thinking that the power required to have the
sensor circuit running all the time will mean the batteries are flat when
ever you open the cupboard...

Maybe, but for a few quid I'm willing to give it a go.

Get a bit of bell wire, an arm operated micro switch and a couple of
screws to fix the switch. Microswitch is held off with the door closed.
Place the microswitch in series with the units switch, you can then have
manual control whilst in there or wanting to leave the door open for a
while but it's impossible to leave on with the door shut and can be
automatic.

http://cpc.farnell.com/camden-electr...tch-35-6mm-lev
er/dp/SW00621

Choosen 'cause it had a picture. You could go posh and have a roller on
the end of the lever.

Done this with mains lighting in a loft (switches off when hatch shut) and
in a pantry (switches on with open door).

Yeah I could do this, I did something similar in the pantry in the old
house, but really I want something that doesn't require any roundtuits.

some have mentioned magnetic switches, which might be ok, though at the
moment the door doesn't close properly (it needs planning down, another
roundtuit.

anyway, thanks everybody for the suggestions.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Geo wrote:
On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 16:52:58 GMT, Geo wrote:

You can buy them with a door switch (magnet) built in I think.

Yep - 3 of them for £3.99 +postage on ebay:-
http://tinyurl.com/8udcgp

Similar (two per pack I think) in Poundland.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"chris French" wrote in message
There seem to be lots of these little stick on LED lights around.

Something like that would be ideal for lighting our small under stairs
cupboard used for storing the kitchen crockery.

But I ones that I have turn on would just annoy. I'm looking for some that
have a built in light/dawn-dusk sensor so will turn themselves on.

I can't find any, anyone know if such a thing exists yet?

Yes, Costco used to sell some that do exactly this. They have a directional
light sensor that detects when a door is opened. The sensor has two
sensitivity settings and seems to work well. Of course if you're opening
the cupboard in the absense of any significant light outside the cupboard
they won't turn on but they have a manual override.

I'm afraid ours have no makers name and the packaging is long gone but
hopefully someone will know.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , chris French
writes
In message , Clint Sharp
writes
In message , Geo
writes
wrote:

[...]

Well, been looking more, still haven't found any with the light sensor,
but, seem to be plenty with PIR, so will probably try those.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote:

Well, been looking more, still haven't found any with the light sensor,
but, seem to be plenty with PIR, so will probably try those.

Two replies (including mine) have suggested that you look in Costco.
I bought two 3-packs of LED lights with the light sensor at Costco in
November. They work well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bruce
writes
chris French wrote:

Well, been looking more, still haven't found any with the light sensor,
but, seem to be plenty with PIR, so will probably try those.

Two replies (including mine) have suggested that you look in Costco.
I bought two 3-packs of LED lights with the light sensor at Costco in
November. They work well.

Yup, and thanks, but I don't have a Costco anywhere near me

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 11:50:41 -0600, Jules wrote:

No, just invert the logic of the dawn to dusk sensor light comes on when
it's light enough. Can't help thinking that the power required to have the
sensor circuit running all the time will mean the batteries are flat when
ever you open the cupboard...

what you need tehn is a solar cell to recharge the batteries

Motion sensor lights. [email protected] Electronics Repair 14 December 25th 08 11:29 PM
Modify a sensor light [email protected] Home Repair 17 July 27th 07 12:05 PM
types of light sensor Suz UK diy 36 December 4th 06 07:45 PM
Sensor light Dinah Home Repair 9 February 3rd 06 12:25 PM