Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French chris French is offline

Default Stick on LED lights with light sensor?

In message et, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 11:50:41 -0600, Jules wrote:

I don't quite see how this would work, a dawn to dusk sensor inside a
dark cupboard?

Not a good power-saving measure :-) I assume the OP means to have a
separate switch to control on/off, and the sensor dictates the level of
supplemental lighting.

No, just invert the logic of the dawn to dusk sensor light comes on when
it's light enough. Can't help thinking that the power required to have the
sensor circuit running all the time will mean the batteries are flat when
ever you open the cupboard...

Maybe, but for a few quid I'm willing to give it a go.

Get a bit of bell wire, an arm operated micro switch and a couple of
screws to fix the switch. Microswitch is held off with the door closed.
Place the microswitch in series with the units switch, you can then have
manual control whilst in there or wanting to leave the door open for a
while but it's impossible to leave on with the door shut and can be
automatic.

http://cpc.farnell.com/camden-electr...tch-35-6mm-lev
er/dp/SW00621

Choosen 'cause it had a picture. You could go posh and have a roller on
the end of the lever.

Done this with mains lighting in a loft (switches off when hatch shut) and
in a pantry (switches on with open door).

Yeah I could do this, I did something similar in the pantry in the old
house, but really I want something that doesn't require any roundtuits.

some have mentioned magnetic switches, which might be ok, though at the
moment the door doesn't close properly (it needs planning down, another
roundtuit.

anyway, thanks everybody for the suggestions.
--
Chris French