Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default fixing a toilet seat

Hi

I've got a toilet seat that I can't secure because I've dropped the bit that
the seat screws onto into the enclosed casing of the toilet that is secured
to the wall. I tried sticking the seat to the bowl with "no more nails" and
that worked for a while but it has now worked itself free and I'd really
like to fix it properly. Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Leonards wrote:

I've got a toilet seat that I can't secure because I've dropped the bit that
the seat screws onto into the enclosed casing of the toilet that is secured
to the wall. I tried sticking the seat to the bowl with "no more nails" and
that worked for a while but it has now worked itself free and I'd really
like to fix it properly. Any suggestions anyone?

You can buy generic replacement fixing kits from B&Q etc. Depends
exactly what sort of seat you've got though.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Leonards wrote:
Hi

I've got a toilet seat that I can't secure because I've dropped the
bit that the seat screws onto into the enclosed casing of the toilet
that is secured to the wall. I tried sticking the seat to the bowl
with "no more nails" and that worked for a while but it has now
worked itself free and I'd really like to fix it properly. Any
suggestions anyone?
Thanks

Magnet onna stick/string, if the bit that's dropped is steel?

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Leonards wrote:

I've got a toilet seat that I can't secure because I've dropped the
bit that the seat screws onto into the enclosed casing of the toilet
that is secured to the wall. I tried sticking the seat to the bowl
with "no more nails" and that worked for a while but it has now
worked itself free and I'd really like to fix it properly. Any
suggestions anyone?

You can buy generic replacement fixing kits from B&Q etc. Depends
exactly what sort of seat you've got though.

Wot he said, or replace the seat - they are cheap as chips. Wickes do the
best el cheapo IMO.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
Leonards wrote:
Hi

I've got a toilet seat that I can't secure because I've dropped the
bit that the seat screws onto into the enclosed casing of the toilet
that is secured to the wall. I tried sticking the seat to the bowl
with "no more nails" and that worked for a while but it has now
worked itself free and I'd really like to fix it properly. Any
suggestions anyone?
Thanks

Magnet onna stick/string, if the bit that's dropped is steel?

Si

Enclosed casing - is that like a Victorian Earth Closet?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Leonards" wrote in message
Hi

I've got a toilet seat that I can't secure because I've dropped the bit
that the seat screws onto into the enclosed casing of the toilet that is
secured to the wall. I tried sticking the seat to the bowl with "no more
nails" and that worked for a while but it has now worked itself free and
I'd really like to fix it properly. Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks

Fact is that standard design for bog seat fittings is rubbish. The
threaded studs that screw into the flat plates always come loose sooner
or later. After a while it become impossible to tighten them as they
corrode, even if you grease them as I do. Yes buy some replacement sets,
with the accent on some. Screwfix and others do them very cheaply. Just
replace as needed. About once a year perhaps.

BTW has anyone come across a better designed replacement fitting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Leonards" wrote in message
Hi

I've got a toilet seat that I can't secure because I've dropped the
bit that the seat screws onto into the enclosed casing of the
toilet that is secured to the wall. I tried sticking the seat to
the bowl with "no more nails" and that worked for a while but it
has now worked itself free and I'd really like to fix it properly. Any
suggestions anyone? Thanks

Fact is that standard design for bog seat fittings is rubbish.

Agreed in general. I change a surprising number of bog seats in offices &
industrial units. Sometimes 6-8 at a time.

The threaded studs that screw into the flat plates always come loose
sooner or later. After a while it become impossible to tighten them
as they corrode, even if you grease them as I do.

I use LSX on them to stick them in place, seems to work.

Yes buy some
replacement sets, with the accent on some. Screwfix and others do
them very cheaply. Just replace as needed. About once a year perhaps.

BTW has anyone come across a better designed replacement fitting.

No, I can say the Wickes el cheapo bog seats are now my default replacement
& I've gone right off the SF cheap ones.

I did buy one of these a while ago
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...ilet+seat+tool

May seem like a gimmick, but it really speeds up installing bog seats and
you can get the fittings much tighter.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I'll be able to extend bog seat cycle
time a bit?

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Scott wrote:

Fact is that standard design for bog seat fittings is rubbish. The
threaded studs that screw into the flat plates always come loose
sooner or later. After a while it become impossible to tighten them
as they corrode, even if you grease them as I do. Yes buy some
replacement sets, with the accent on some. Screwfix and others do
them very cheaply. Just replace as needed. About once a year perhaps.

BTW has anyone come across a better designed replacement fitting.

We got something like this in our new loo.
http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/s...oilet-seat.asp
or
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/architec...LAID=205025556

The hinge design seems massively better that the standard "flap'n'crash'"
toilet seat. No wobbling and the design seems to inhibit the usual
wandering around that loosens ordinary hinges.

Will never fit another DIY shed toilet seat again.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Leonards, Richard Simpkins wrote:
I used No More Nails last night and it appears to have worked which I can't
quite get my head around but will watch it after reading your comment about it
working itself loose.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...at-533854-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 12:44:03 GMT
Richard Simpkins m
wrote:

replying to Leonards, Richard Simpkins wrote:
I used No More Nails last night and it appears to have worked which I
can't quite get my head around but will watch it after reading your
comment about it working itself loose.

"posted on January 10, 2009, 1:37 pm"

That Homeowners hub thing is a pain in the proverbial, how come it
keeps on regurgitating those ancient posts?

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 12:44:03 GMT
Richard Simpkins m
wrote:

replying to Leonards, Richard Simpkins wrote:
I used No More Nails last night and it appears to have worked which I
can't quite get my head around but will watch it after reading your
comment about it working itself loose.

"posted on January 10, 2009, 1:37 pm"

That Homeowners hub thing is a pain in the proverbial, how come it
keeps on regurgitating those ancient posts?

Because it can. ;-)

If you look at the site you'll see that it regularly promotes ancient posts
as "unanswered questions" or "top threads". Presumably to generate traffic
(and income).

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 12:29:58 -0000 (UTC)
Tim+ wrote:

If you look at the site ...

Not a worthwhile pastime!

I think the time has come to try to work out how to killfile these
re-posts to them.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

If you look at the site ...

Not a worthwhile pastime!

I think the time has come to try to work out how to killfile these
re-posts to them.

Adding @example.com to your killfile (with whatever wildcard character your
filter uses) stops 99% of them. Not the responses alas. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 16:13:03 -0000 (UTC)
Tim+ wrote:

I think the time has come to try to work out how to killfile these
re-posts to them.

Adding @example.com to your killfile (with whatever wildcard
character your filter uses) stops 99% of them. Not the responses
alas. ;-)

Tim

Anything is better than nothing!

Thanks, I'll try it.