Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Identify this old bulb please

I put a picture of it at:

http://esquivalier.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=532

It says on it: Stanley 8V0.15A

It's from an old Sony radio tuner.

Where, nowadays, can one find small bulbs like this?

Thanks,

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:

I put a picture of it at:

http://esquivalier.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=532
It says on it: Stanley 8V0.15A
It's from an old Sony radio tuner.

Where, nowadays, can one find small bulbs like this?

Independant Radio/TV/Electrical shops.
The sort that used to mend TV's. There is one near me who keeps such
stuff in.
How he makes a living I dont know, as his shop is easily 50% dearer than
Comet et al for new goods.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message
I put a picture of it at:

http://esquivalier.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=532

It says on it: Stanley 8V0.15A

It's from an old Sony radio tuner.

Where, nowadays, can one find small bulbs like this?

Thanks,

Daniele

I would use a 12v 1.2W (0.1A) standard MES unless the elongated shape
is essential.
I haven't seen bulbs that shape for sale for a long time.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...C=SO&U=Strat15

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
D.M. Procida wrote:
I put a picture of it at:

http://esquivalier.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=532

It says on it: Stanley 8V0.15A

It's from an old Sony radio tuner.

Where, nowadays, can one find small bulbs like this?

If you can't find a replacement it's usually possible to fit a suitable
LED and resistor to the end cap. You might need a diode too if it's fed
from AC.

--
*Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 14:27:37 +0000, D.M. Procida wrote:

It says on it: Stanley 8V0.15A

I read that to mean 8.0 volts and 0.15 amps or 150mA.

Might have fun finding an 8v bulb. Nothing on CPC:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/re...isGoback=false

6v is a possibilty, so one of those and a suitably rated and value series
resistor? Nominal 2v @ 150mA, 15 ohm 1/2W if my maths is right?

12v I suspect would be too dim.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
I put a picture of it at:

http://esquivalier.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=532

It says on it: Stanley 8V0.15A

8 volt would make it a bit unusual...

It's from an old Sony radio tuner.

Where, nowadays, can one find small bulbs like this?

There are 12V versions:
http://cpc.farnell.com/AR70322/elect...unbranded-f016

and 6V:
http://cpc.farnell.com/AR70323/elect...unbranded-f017

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
D.M. Procida writes
I put a picture of it at:

http://esquivalier.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=532

It says on it: Stanley 8V0.15A

It's from an old Sony radio tuner.

Where, nowadays, can one find small bulbs like this?

you could start here

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/br...1002232&Ntk=ge
nsearch_003&Ntt=filament+bulb&Ntx=

Thanks,

Daniele

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
I put a picture of it at:

http://esquivalier.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=532

It says on it: Stanley 8V0.15A

It's from an old Sony radio tuner.

Where, nowadays, can one find small bulbs like this?

Thanks,

Daniele

8v 0.15A miniature filament bulb, standard stuff.

If you dont find a replacement, you could solder a wire ended one onto
the base after removing the glass section. Or use an ultrabright LED
and resistor.

If you use something non matching, check whether its in series or
parallel with other lamps. If series you'll need to tweak the new lamp
to match the v and i draw of the old lamp.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm brought next idea :
and 6V:
http://cpc.farnell.com/AR70323/elect...unbranded-f017

....and a small resistor in series with the 6v one would make it work
satisfactorily, assuming it is not itself in series with something
else.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

If (as is possible giving it's rating), it is part of a series heater
chain, the current rating is more important than the voltage. So 0.15A
or more. A 6v 0.3A would work in those circumstances but would be rather
dim.

The voltage rating is equally important if it is in series with
something, as it will only pass the rated current, if the voltage is
correct.

Personally, if it is in series with an heater chain and a replacement
cannot be found - I would fit a resistor of equivalent value to get it
working again and then add a white LED in parallel to provide the light
output. Even if it is not in series, then an LED will be appropriate.

I can't imagine what they would be heating, but their obvious purpose is
illumination - one for the dial, the other for the signal meter.

This is the model:

http://www.hifimuseum.info/tn_ST-88.jpg

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida submitted this idea :
I can't imagine what they would be heating, but their obvious purpose is
illumination - one for the dial, the other for the signal meter.

This is the model:

http://www.hifimuseum.info/tn_ST-88.jpg

Daniele

I was thinking it might be valve equipment. If all works normaly with
no lamp in there, just look at putting a 6v lamp in, but with a
suitable resistor in series, or consider a white LED solution.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:

I put a picture of it at:

http://esquivalier.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=532

It says on it: Stanley 8V0.15A

It's from an old Sony radio tuner.

Where, nowadays, can one find small bulbs like this?

I think I've found it:

http://www.lampspecs.co.uk/Light-Bul...10x28mm-E10/10
mm-x-28mm-8V-150MA-1-2W-E10

Looks like a useful resource.

Daniele
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I was thinking it might be valve equipment. If all works normaly with
no lamp in there, just look at putting a 6v lamp in, but with a
suitable resistor in series, or consider a white LED solution.

Most lamps on valve equipment were 6.5 volts - run off the heater chain.

--
*It doesn't take a genius to spot a goat in a flock of sheep *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
D.M. Procida wrote:
I put a picture of it at:

http://esquivalier.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=532

It says on it: Stanley 8V0.15A

It's from an old Sony radio tuner.

Where, nowadays, can one find small bulbs like this?

Maplin still appear to do some - search on 'small bulbs'. My guess the 8
volts denotes it's rather under-run for long life - that's a pretty rare
actual voltage rail for any transistor stuff. But for this sort of use
something with about the same current draw will work ok - but may not last
as long.

--
*You are validating my inherent mistrust of strangers

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
D.M. Procida wrote:
I think I've found it:

http://www.lampspecs.co.uk/Light-Bul...10x28mm-E10/10
mm-x-28mm-8V-150MA-1-2W-E10

Looks like a useful resource.

It is indeed - bookmarked.

--
*Reality? Is that where the pizza delivery guy comes from?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
D.M. Procida wrote:
I put a picture of it at:

http://esquivalier.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=532

It says on it: Stanley 8V0.15A

It's from an old Sony radio tuner.

Where, nowadays, can one find small bulbs like this?

Maplin still appear to do some - search on 'small bulbs'. My guess the 8
volts denotes it's rather under-run for long life - that's a pretty rare
actual voltage rail for any transistor stuff.

8VAC, when rectified, smoothed, and regulated, would be about 9VDC.

Or as someone else pointed out, it might be running at 6v for long life.

I have vague memories of kit of this era..usually a twisted pair of
wires running round the set connecting lots of lampholders, and running
off a special winding on the transformer.

But for this sort of use
something with about the same current draw will work ok - but may not last
as long.

Not if its transistor kit withe the bulbs voltage driven.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Maplin still appear to do some - search on 'small bulbs'. My guess the
8 volts denotes it's rather under-run for long life - that's a pretty
rare actual voltage rail for any transistor stuff.

8VAC, when rectified, smoothed, and regulated, would be about 9VDC.

Rather more than that. But I doubt it would be AC in a solid state design.

Or as someone else pointed out, it might be running at 6v for long life.

Indeed.

I have vague memories of kit of this era..usually a twisted pair of
wires running round the set connecting lots of lampholders, and running
off a special winding on the transformer.

You're thinking more of valve gear. Transistor stuff like this usually
just has one transformer winding. It dates from before the days of split
rail stuff being common.

But for this sort of use something with about the same current draw
will work ok - but may not last as long.

Yes. You could go for a higher voltage and nominal current - if not too
far out will only effect the colour and likely intensity of the lamp which
probably doesn't matter too much if just an indicator lamp. If one of a
pair etc for dial illumination best to replace them both so at least they
match.

--
*I get enough exercise just pushing my luck.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article
,
D.M. Procida wrote:
I put a picture of it at:

http://esquivalier.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=532

It says on it: Stanley 8V0.15A

It's from an old Sony radio tuner.

Where, nowadays, can one find small bulbs like this?

Maplin still appear to do some - search on 'small bulbs'. My guess the 8
volts denotes it's rather under-run for long life - that's a pretty rare
actual voltage rail for any transistor stuff. But for this sort of use
something with about the same current draw will work ok - but may not last
as long.

--
*You are validating my inherent mistrust of strangers

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Its known as tubular MES (for miniature edison screw)... also knows as
T3.1/4... now the voltage looks a bit unusual, and if you are looking for a
suitable lamp 0.15A is the same as 1.2W