Pete Lawrence

Default boarding a loft

Hi,

I'm thinking of boarding out my loft. Are there any recommended
materials that should be used? I've tried to do a bit of research
on-line but seem to end up going in circles. Searching for "loft
flooring" and similar on the big DIY store sites returns very little
(well I haven't searched the Homebase site because it's experiencing
technical difficulties at the moment). I've located a product via
Travis Perkins called Fermacell which looks like it might do the
trick.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

--
Pete
Homepage at http://www.pbl33.co.uk

PoP

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:15:31 +0100, Pete Lawrence
wrote:

I'm thinking of boarding out my loft. Are there any recommended
materials that should be used? I've tried to do a bit of research
on-line but seem to end up going in circles. Searching for "loft
flooring" and similar on the big DIY store sites returns very little
(well I haven't searched the Homebase site because it's experiencing
technical difficulties at the moment). I've located a product via
Travis Perkins called Fermacell which looks like it might do the
trick.

I boarded a loft recently, using the standard loft flooring packs
available at B&Q and elsewhere.

About £3.70 per pack as I recall, covers roughly 1.5m x 2 bays.

PoP

Andy Hall

wrote:

Hi,

I'm thinking of boarding out my loft. Are there any recommended
materials that should be used? I've tried to do a bit of research
on-line but seem to end up going in circles. Searching for "loft
flooring" and similar on the big DIY store sites returns very little
(well I haven't searched the Homebase site because it's experiencing
technical difficulties at the moment). I've located a product via
Travis Perkins called Fermacell which looks like it might do the
trick.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

There are packs of small sized flooring grade chipboard available from
DIY stores that are sold for this purpose. The idea is that the
sections will fit through a loft hatch. They push together with a
tongued and grooved joint.

However the pieces are quite heavy and awkward to manipulate around in
a small space.

For doing this job, having two people, with one cutting the pieces and
the other fitting makes a big difference to how long it takes. It
is not pleasant cutting chipboard witha circular say in the attic.

I prefer to use floorboards. They cost a little more, but are much
easier to cut, handle and fit. If you go to a timber merchants they
are a lot less expensive than the DIY stores

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Pete Lawrence

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:41:25 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

Any pointers would be appreciated.

There are packs of small sized flooring grade chipboard available from
DIY stores that are sold for this purpose. The idea is that the
sections will fit through a loft hatch. They push together with a
tongued and grooved joint.

However the pieces are quite heavy and awkward to manipulate around in
a small space.

For doing this job, having two people, with one cutting the pieces and
the other fitting makes a big difference to how long it takes. It
is not pleasant cutting chipboard witha circular say in the attic.

I prefer to use floorboards. They cost a little more, but are much
easier to cut, handle and fit. If you go to a timber merchants they
are a lot less expensive than the DIY stores

I've been aware of the chipboard packs, and seen them, in the past.
However a quick on-line search this morning failed with HomeBase
(still having technical difficulties) and DIY.com returned nothing
specific for lofts and "We don't currently stock chip board" for a
search on chip board.

I'll call round to my local timber merchant and investigate
floorboards.

Thanks for the response.

--
Pete
Homepage at http://www.pbl33.co.uk
CCD/digicam astronomy

PoP

wrote:

For doing this job, having two people, with one cutting the pieces and
the other fitting makes a big difference to how long it takes. It
is not pleasant cutting chipboard witha circular say in the attic.

I would tend to agree, however when I did a loft a couple of months
back it was only me - and I was mildly surprised at how little effort
was required to cut the boards with a sharp circular saw (a fairly
powerful one though).

That was in the hot weather in July.....

PoP

IMM

"Pete Lawrence" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm thinking of boarding out my loft. Are there any recommended
materials that should be used? I've tried to do a bit of research
on-line but seem to end up going in circles. Searching for "loft
flooring" and similar on the big DIY store sites returns very little
(well I haven't searched the Homebase site because it's experiencing
technical difficulties at the moment). I've located a product via
Travis Perkins called Fermacell which looks like it might do the
trick.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Firstly, Fermacell is very expensive for boarding out a loft. Wickes do
cheap T&G chip board packs.

Once you have boarded a loft you are stuck with the poor insulation beneath.
Best to install 4x2s at 90 degrees to the joints. Screw them down with long
screws available from http://www.unifix-online.co.uk. Having counter joists
will drastically reduce thermal bridging from the loft in summer and winter.
Then install Rockwool insulation over the existing insulation, then loft
boards over, available from Wickes. Screw down the boards. Do not nail.
Screws are cheap enough these days and it is quick with a drill/driver.
Hammering can disturb parts of the ceiling.

Before doing the work, take a silicon gun and seal all the holes into the
rooms below. That includes pipes, and holes where cables penetrate. Also
fit a sealed loft hatch. Then a boarded loft, that will save you a fortune
in heating and keep the rooms below cool in summer too.

---

Pete Lawrence

Thanks to all who have responded.
--
Pete
Homepage at http://www.pbl33.co.uk
CCD/digicam astronomy
darkhorse31

wrote:

[...]

I tried searching for these on the B&Q website this morning with no joy,
however I popped into one at lunch and they had stacks of them. They are
£3.87 for a 3 pack, and yes they are quite heavy.

BillR

Pete Lawrence wrote:
Thanks to all who have responded.

Beware if you have a modern house with flimsy 1st floor ceiling joists.
These do not like much loading on them at all, as I and my neighbours have
found.
A few boxes of junk on them and ceiling cracks appear along the line of the
joists..
Also if you screw the boarding to them they may distort again to the
detriment of your bedroom ceilings as the builders only seem to get the
ceiling side somewhat level.

IMM

"BillR" wrote in message
news
Pete Lawrence wrote:
Thanks to all who have responded.

Beware if you have a modern house with flimsy 1st floor ceiling joists.
These do not like much loading on them at all, as I and my neighbours have
found.
A few boxes of junk on them and ceiling cracks appear along the line of

the
joists..

If you put in counter joists at 90 degrees, the ends of the joists butting
up to the end gables can be hung off joist hangers screwed to the wall.
This reduces stain on the joists and re-enforces the roof.

---

Pete Lawrence

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:51:34 +0100, "darkhorse31"
wrote:

I tried searching for these on the B&Q website this morning with no joy,
however I popped into one at lunch and they had stacks of them. They are
£3.87 for a 3 pack, and yes they are quite heavy.

Thanks - I'll have to rely on the real rather than the virtual world
here.

--
Pete
Homepage at http://www.pbl33.co.uk
CCD/digicam astronomy
Pete Lawrence

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 17:23:50 +0100, "BillR"
wrote:

Pete Lawrence wrote:
Thanks to all who have responded.

Beware if you have a modern house with flimsy 1st floor ceiling joists.
These do not like much loading on them at all, as I and my neighbours have
found.
A few boxes of junk on them and ceiling cracks appear along the line of the
joists..
Also if you screw the boarding to them they may distort again to the
detriment of your bedroom ceilings as the builders only seem to get the
ceiling side somewhat level.

Fortunately my house is quite sturdy in it's construction. It's a
good point though and I'll certainly keep an eye on the ceilings.

--
Pete
Homepage at http://www.pbl33.co.uk
CCD/digicam astronomy
Nick Finnigan

"darkhorse31" wrote in message
. ..

"Pete Lawrence" wrote in message

(still having technical difficulties) and DIY.com returned nothing
specific for lofts and "We don't currently stock chip board" for a
search on chip board.

I tried searching for these on the B&Q website this morning with no joy,
however I popped into one at lunch and they had stacks of them.

The BandQ website only seems to show items which they
will deliver (and take orders for by internet or phone),
which probably corresponds to those items which are
the same price at big BandQs as at the smaller ones.

Loft Insulation - Best Type and Tips for Installation L Reid UK diy 22 October 19th 03 10:26 PM
No access to loft space. Mike Hibbert UK diy 4 August 31st 03 07:19 PM
Loft door hardware Andrew McKay UK diy 3 August 25th 03 12:50 AM
Power to loft. Spur of 60A shower feed? Will Cooke UK diy 1 August 5th 03 12:15 AM
Fitting A Loft Ladder Andrew McKay UK diy 4 July 14th 03 06:10 PM