IMM

Default boarding a loft

"Pete Lawrence" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm thinking of boarding out my loft. Are there any recommended
materials that should be used? I've tried to do a bit of research
on-line but seem to end up going in circles. Searching for "loft
flooring" and similar on the big DIY store sites returns very little
(well I haven't searched the Homebase site because it's experiencing
technical difficulties at the moment). I've located a product via
Travis Perkins called Fermacell which looks like it might do the
trick.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Firstly, Fermacell is very expensive for boarding out a loft. Wickes do
cheap T&G chip board packs.

Once you have boarded a loft you are stuck with the poor insulation beneath.
Best to install 4x2s at 90 degrees to the joints. Screw them down with long
screws available from http://www.unifix-online.co.uk. Having counter joists
will drastically reduce thermal bridging from the loft in summer and winter.
Then install Rockwool insulation over the existing insulation, then loft
boards over, available from Wickes. Screw down the boards. Do not nail.
Screws are cheap enough these days and it is quick with a drill/driver.
Hammering can disturb parts of the ceiling.

Before doing the work, take a silicon gun and seal all the holes into the
rooms below. That includes pipes, and holes where cables penetrate. Also
fit a sealed loft hatch. Then a boarded loft, that will save you a fortune
in heating and keep the rooms below cool in summer too.

---