Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New cab;e colours

I have done a google on this, but I am still a bit unsure about the
cable I am about to use.

It has blue (neutral) brown (live) green and yellow (earth) and then a
black core. What does this indicate?

By the way, I am moving my central heating timer back inside the house
from the shed it is in at the moment.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave wrote:
I have done a google on this, but I am still a bit unsure about the
cable I am about to use.

It has blue (neutral) brown (live) green and yellow (earth) and then a
black core. What does this indicate?

That's presumably a flex? The extra colour could be a switched circuit -
but there's no real standard for this. And if it is a flex, these colours
aren't new, but some 30 years old. ;-)

By the way, I am moving my central heating timer back inside the house
from the shed it is in at the moment.

Most basic programmers require a line, neutral and two switch circuits
(heating and hot water) but usually not an earth - although if it's
mounted on a metal backing box that should be earthed. Please don't use
the green/yellow for anything other than earth.

TLC sell 5 core flex (including an earth) by the metre for just this
purpose:-

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...e_3/index.html

--
*Preserve wildlife - Go pickle a squirrel*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Dave wrote:
I have done a google on this, but I am still a bit unsure about the
cable I am about to use.

It has blue (neutral) brown (live) green and yellow (earth) and then a
black core. What does this indicate?

That's presumably a flex?

Yes, that's correct.

The extra colour could be a switched circuit -
but there's no real standard for this. And if it is a flex, these colours
aren't new, but some 30 years old. ;-)

So if it is a switched live, it will need a red sleeve on it then.

By the way, I am moving my central heating timer back inside the house
from the shed it is in at the moment.

Most basic programmers require a line, neutral and two switch circuits
(heating and hot water) but usually not an earth - although if it's
mounted on a metal backing box that should be earthed. Please don't use
the green/yellow for anything other than earth.

Though the timer has a metal back box, when the timer body is connected
to it, no metal can be touched, but the earth is good for when the timer
is removed. I wouldn't use the earth core for anything but earth. :-)

The timer has 3 cables (flex) going into it.
First is AC mains feed, the second and third go into the boiler and one
these looks like going to the central heating shut off valve.

TLC sell 5 core flex (including an earth) by the metre for just this
purpose:-

I am using 5 Amp flex for 2 of the cables and the new to me 4 core to
carry the extra core.

Many thanks for your post

Dave

I have already 'plumbed in' 3 cables to connect to the timer

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...e_3/index.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave wrote:
It has blue (neutral) brown (live) green and yellow (earth) and then
a black core. What does this indicate?

That's presumably a flex?

Yes, that's correct.

The extra colour could be a switched circuit - but there's no real
standard for this. And if it is a flex, these colours aren't new, but
some 30 years old. ;-)

So if it is a switched live, it will need a red sleeve on it then.

If flex, brown would be correct. Best not to mix standards.

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Dave wrote:
It has blue (neutral) brown (live) green and yellow (earth) and then
a black core. What does this indicate?
That's presumably a flex?

Yes, that's correct.

The extra colour could be a switched circuit - but there's no real
standard for this. And if it is a flex, these colours aren't new, but
some 30 years old. ;-)

So if it is a switched live, it will need a red sleeve on it then.

If flex, brown would be correct. Best not to mix standards.

Oh ****. I forgot! Can I buy brown sleaving?

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Dave wrote:
It has blue (neutral) brown (live) green and yellow (earth) and

then
a black core. What does this indicate?
That's presumably a flex?

Yes, that's correct.

The extra colour could be a switched circuit - but there's no

real
standard for this. And if it is a flex, these colours aren't

new, but
some 30 years old. ;-)

So if it is a switched live, it will need a red sleeve on it

then.

If flex, brown would be correct. Best not to mix standards.

Oh ****. I forgot! Can I buy brown sleaving?

Dave

Use brown insulating tape

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Dave wrote:
It has blue (neutral) brown (live) green and yellow (earth) and then
a black core. What does this indicate?
That's presumably a flex?

Yes, that's correct.

The extra colour could be a switched circuit - but there's no real
standard for this. And if it is a flex, these colours aren't new, but
some 30 years old. ;-)

So if it is a switched live, it will need a red sleeve on it then.

If flex, brown would be correct. Best not to mix standards.

Oh ****. I forgot! Can I buy brown sleaving?

The same place that once sold red will now sell brown.

I dunno if the sheds sell short overpriced lengths like they do with
green/yellow, though.

Dave

--
*Can fat people go skinny-dipping?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Dave wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Dave wrote:
It has blue (neutral) brown (live) green and yellow (earth) and then
a black core. What does this indicate?
That's presumably a flex?
Yes, that's correct.
The extra colour could be a switched circuit - but there's no real
standard for this. And if it is a flex, these colours aren't new, but
some 30 years old. ;-)
So if it is a switched live, it will need a red sleeve on it then.
If flex, brown would be correct. Best not to mix standards.

Oh ****. I forgot! Can I buy brown sleaving?

The same place that once sold red will now sell brown.

I dunno if the sheds sell short overpriced lengths like they do with
green/yellow, though.

My brain must be more dead than I thought :-(

Many thanks to you and Andrew for pointing out the obvious.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave wrote:
Oh ****. I forgot! Can I buy brown sleaving?

The same place that once sold red will now sell brown.

I dunno if the sheds sell short overpriced lengths like they do with
green/yellow, though.

My brain must be more dead than I thought :-(

Many thanks to you and Andrew for pointing out the obvious.

I'm good at that.

--
*Middle age is when work is a lot less fun - and fun a lot more work.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Dave wrote:
Oh ****. I forgot! Can I buy brown sleaving?
The same place that once sold red will now sell brown.

I dunno if the sheds sell short overpriced lengths like they do with
green/yellow, though.

My brain must be more dead than I thought :-(

Many thanks to you and Andrew for pointing out the obvious.

I'm good at that.

I'm very glad you are :-)

Dave

BS381C Colours? Andrew Instone-Cowie UK diy 1 August 6th 07 02:16 PM
2 way switch colours? Vass UK diy 6 June 3rd 07 08:24 PM
Wiring colours [email protected] UK diy 17 May 10th 07 12:05 AM
different primer colours? macson UK diy 12 March 16th 06 11:30 PM
PIR cable colours Al Reynolds UK diy 8 December 4th 04 01:50 PM