Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 2 way switch colours?

2 way stairs lighting
existing cable is red, white and blue (with a single separate black wire
carrying the earth)
New cable is Black Brown and Light Grey + earth included (to be sheathed)
so, Red to brown, but white and blue?
what goes where?
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Vass wrote:
2 way stairs lighting
existing cable is red, white and blue (with a single separate black wire
carrying the earth)

Weird. Many use triple and earth for two way switching, but this is (was)
red, blue and yellow with the ECC bare as ordinary TW&E, and this should
be sleeved in green/yellow. Black is the old colour for neutral, not
earth, so sort that out pronto.

New cable is Black Brown and Light Grey + earth included (to be sheathed)
so, Red to brown, but white and blue?
what goes where?

There is no standard for which colours to use in a two-way switch circuit,
so you need to look at how it's wired at the other switch.

--
*Why isn't 11 pronounced onety one? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message There is no
standard for which colours to use in a two-way switch circuit,
so you need to look at how it's wired at the other switch.

no probs, understood
thanks Dave
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 15:52:33 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Weird. Many use triple and earth for two way switching, but this is (was)
red, blue and yellow with the ECC bare as ordinary TW&E, and this should
be sleeved in green/yellow. Black is the old colour for neutral, not
earth, so sort that out pronto.

Didn't we have this before, where the yellow appeared to have gone
white?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Didn't we have this before, where the yellow appeared to have gone
white?

Stripped it right back, most certainly white
did it used to me Red, Blue and Yellow then?
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Didn't we have this before, where the yellow appeared to have gone
white?

Stripped it right back, most certainly white
did it used to me Red, Blue and Yellow then?
--
Vass

It probably is red, blue and white with no earth. I believe that particular
cable stopped being used around 1966.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
news

It probably is red, blue and white with no earth. I believe that
particular cable stopped being used around 1966.

house built 1961 !
--
Vass