Posted to uk.d-i-y
macson

Default different primer colours?

I have just run out of my first can of primer (white) but the other can
I have is a creamy brown (came from a different source). Given my top
coat will be white - and a pastel colour in the other room - do I need
to get a 'white' primer or am i being too paranoid that you will see a
difference in colour due to the primers being slightly different shades?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

macson wrote:
I have just run out of my first can of primer (white) but the other
can I have is a creamy brown (came from a different source). Given my
top coat will be white - and a pastel colour in the other room - do I
need to get a 'white' primer or am i being too paranoid that you will
see a difference in colour due to the primers being slightly
different shades?

Primer is sold to amateurs who think it is any different from undercoat,
which it's not, you will never find a tradesman buying primer...moral of the
story? - buy white undercoat, it's the same stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Phil L wrote:
macson wrote:
I have just run out of my first can of primer (white) but the other
can I have is a creamy brown (came from a different source). Given my
top coat will be white - and a pastel colour in the other room - do I
need to get a 'white' primer or am i being too paranoid that you will
see a difference in colour due to the primers being slightly
different shades?

Primer is sold to amateurs who think it is any different from undercoat,
which it's not, you will never find a tradesman buying primer...moral of the
story? - buy white undercoat, it's the same stuff.

Of course it is different. I used to use it on council patching jobs.
It used to contain lead but now a lot has changed. What is used these
days is water based primer -acrylics. The paint acts as a filler as as
well as a sealant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I usually have my primer tinted to the color of the top coat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Phil L wrote:

Primer is sold to amateurs who think it is any different from undercoat,
which it's not, you will never find a tradesman buying primer...moral of the
story? - buy white undercoat, it's the same stuff.

B**ocks!

Different stuff, that does a different job.

Primer: High penetration, low opacity, low filler content.

Undercoat: low penetration, high opacity, high filler content.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
macson wrote:
I have just run out of my first can of primer (white) but the other
can I have is a creamy brown (came from a different source). Given my
top coat will be white - and a pastel colour in the other room - do I
need to get a 'white' primer or am i being too paranoid that you will
see a difference in colour due to the primers being slightly
different shades?

Primer is sold to amateurs who think it is any different from undercoat,
which it's not, you will never find a tradesman buying primer...moral of
the story? - buy white undercoat, it's the same stuff.

Moral of the story is to employ a tradesman who knows what a three coat
system is and why it is used, not a cowboy who will slap on undercoat
without priming.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
Phil L wrote:
macson wrote:
I have just run out of my first can of primer (white) but the other
can I have is a creamy brown (came from a different source). Given my
top coat will be white - and a pastel colour in the other room - do I
need to get a 'white' primer or am i being too paranoid that you will
see a difference in colour due to the primers being slightly
different shades?

Primer is sold to amateurs who think it is any different from undercoat,
which it's not,

They are different. Primer is high in binder and low in filler, so it
soaks in to form a stable impermeable base. Undercoat is high in filler
to provide a smooth opaque matt surface for the gloss. Gloss is high in
binder and pigment.

you will never find a tradesman buying primer

Before water-based primers and undercoats were common, many painters
used to slap on a coat of emulsion in the morning and gloss it in the
afternoon - that doesn't mean it works well, it just means it's quick.

...moral of the story? - buy white undercoat, it's the same stuff.

There may not be so much distinction these days with water-based polymer
paints, but IME these aren't very good anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Autolycus

"macson" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have just run out of my first can of primer (white) but the other can
I have is a creamy brown (came from a different source). Given my top
coat will be white - and a pastel colour in the other room - do I need
to get a 'white' primer or am i being too paranoid that you will see a
difference in colour due to the primers being slightly different
shades?

I hope I'm not teaching my grandmother to suck paint tins, but have you
tried stirring it? Even some white gloss can look horribly yellow after
it's settled in the tin, but it's fine once it's properly stirred.

Even if it is slightly different, I'd still use it. Pink primer used to
be common, even under white paint. Expect to need at least two coats of
gloss, or, if you want a better job, one of undercoat and one or two
gloss. This assumes you're using traditional paint, not the water-based
muck.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Phil L wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Primer is sold to amateurs who think it is any different from
undercoat, which it's not, you will never find a tradesman buying
primer...moral of the story? - buy white undercoat, it's the same
stuff.

B**ocks!

Two coats of undercoat do the same job as primer and undercoat.

No they don't. Where *do* you get this stuff?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Phil L wrote:

Two coats of undercoat do the same job as primer and undercoat.

not really...

Your signature is borked, it needs tow dashes followed by a space, like

My signature is fine - the problem must be your end.

this --
most decent newsreaders have facilities for inserting a signature, with the
sig seperator, automatically.

indeed - as my one does.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

Chris Bacon wrote:
Phil L wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Primer is sold to amateurs who think it is any different from
undercoat, which it's not, you will never find a tradesman buying
primer...moral of the story? - buy white undercoat, it's the same
stuff.

B**ocks!

Two coats of undercoat do the same job as primer and undercoat.

No they don't. Where *do* you get this stuff?

Working for decorators for almost 16 years, talking to other tradesmen,
asking in the paint suppliers, chatting to people who work at ICI, that sort
of thing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dark primer is a good idea as long as it is good quality e.g. grey
aluminium. Better would be black with purple spots! It means that you
have to do a good job with the undercoat to conceal it and end up with
a good paint job i.e. poor quality undercoat won't cover it and even
good quality may need several coats.

cheers

Jacob

Need help-Trap Seal Primer Doug Home Repair 0 March 3rd 06 02:22 AM
primer questions Melissa Home Repair 17 July 23rd 05 07:16 AM
Diluting Interior Primer [email protected] Home Repair 4 January 24th 05 06:39 PM
Gazing compound softened by primer Bob K 207 Home Repair 2 October 31st 04 04:01 PM
Melamine primer Andy Hall UK diy 6 September 7th 03 12:26 AM