Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Xmas Shopping

..Is it me ...............or do others find the dreary Bing Crosby type Xmas
music horribly depressing when played in the shops? I am beginning to prefer
Noddie Holder shouting "It's Christmas!"

Then you get home and there are adverts on TV for Xmas Hits - Boney M, etc.

Now, what will I buy to help me enjoy Xmas - a bottle of Scotch - or a Xmas
Hits CD?
A new tool or gadget - or a Bing Crosby CD

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

John wrote:
..Is it me ...............or do others find the dreary Bing Crosby type Xmas
music horribly depressing when played in the shops? I am beginning to prefer
Noddie Holder shouting "It's Christmas!"

Then you get home and there are adverts on TV for Xmas Hits - Boney M, etc.

Now, what will I buy to help me enjoy Xmas - a bottle of Scotch - or a Xmas
Hits CD?
A new tool or gadget - or a Bing Crosby CD

I prefer any shop that has NO music. So long as it also has NO PA system
assaulting our ears.

The local Rotary was collecting at a supermarket today. We almost left
without getting out of the car. Volume (and taste) unbearable.

Hmm - I shall probably buy myself the latest Neal Stephenson book -
Anathem. Or should I await the paperback next year... ?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
.Is it me ...............or do others find the dreary Bing Crosby type
Xmas music horribly depressing when played in the shops? I am beginning to
prefer Noddie Holder shouting "It's Christmas!"

Then you get home and there are adverts on TV for Xmas Hits - Boney M,
etc.

Now, what will I buy to help me enjoy Xmas - a bottle of Scotch - or a
Xmas Hits CD?
A new tool or gadget - or a Bing Crosby CD

Did you manage to find any humbugs?

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

.Is it me ...............or do others find the dreary Bing Crosby type
Xmas
music horribly depressing when played in the shops? I am beginning to
prefer Noddie Holder shouting "It's Christmas!"

Then you get home and there are adverts on TV for Xmas Hits - Boney M,
etc.

Now, what will I buy to help me enjoy Xmas - a bottle of Scotch - or a
Xmas Hits CD?
A new tool or gadget - or a Bing Crosby CD

In the original Meet me in St Louis version the song goes
Have yourself a merry little Christmas
It may be your last
Next year we may all be living in the past

and--
Faithful friends who were dear to us
Will be near to us no more.

Makes you want to top yourself doesn't it? No wonder the lyrics were later
changed.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
.Is it me ...............or do others find the dreary Bing Crosby type
Xmas music horribly depressing when played in the shops? I am beginning
to prefer Noddie Holder shouting "It's Christmas!"

Then you get home and there are adverts on TV for Xmas Hits - Boney M,
etc.

Now, what will I buy to help me enjoy Xmas - a bottle of Scotch - or a
Xmas Hits CD?
A new tool or gadget - or a Bing Crosby CD

Did you manage to find any humbugs?

mark

I like my music to be uplifting. Most of the old Crosby stuff is dreary and
has no relevance to younger people (I am 61).

How many times could you listen to "Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas"
without wanting to escape the mall?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 19:56:48 -0000, "mark"
wrote:

"John" wrote in message
.Is it me ...............or do others find the dreary Bing Crosby type
Xmas music horribly depressing when played in the shops? I am beginning to
prefer Noddie Holder shouting "It's Christmas!"

Then you get home and there are adverts on TV for Xmas Hits - Boney M,
etc.

Now, what will I buy to help me enjoy Xmas - a bottle of Scotch - or a
Xmas Hits CD?
A new tool or gadget - or a Bing Crosby CD

Did you manage to find any humbugs?

No but I bet he found the bah !

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
John wrote:
..Is it me ...............or do others find the dreary Bing Crosby
type Xmas music horribly depressing when played in the shops? I am
beginning to prefer Noddie Holder shouting "It's Christmas!"

Then you get home and there are adverts on TV for Xmas Hits - Boney M,
etc.

Now, what will I buy to help me enjoy Xmas - a bottle of Scotch - or a
Xmas Hits CD?
A new tool or gadget - or a Bing Crosby CD

I prefer any shop that has NO music. So long as it also has NO PA system
assaulting our ears.

I prefer NO shop full stop.

I'm afraid Matt Rudd's article in todays Sunday Times struck a very
large chord with me:
See http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle5332389.ece

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
..Is it me ...............or do others find the dreary Bing Crosby type Xmas
music horribly depressing when played in the shops? I am beginning to prefer
Noddie Holder shouting "It's Christmas!"

Then you get home and there are adverts on TV for Xmas Hits - Boney M, etc.

Now, what will I buy to help me enjoy Xmas - a bottle of Scotch - or a Xmas
Hits CD?
A new tool or gadget - or a Bing Crosby CD

Did you see Breakfast TV Thurs or Fri - at a pub in Essex there is a Bah
Humbug club who believe Christmas is for Christmas Day and 'Reindeer'
is on the menu before Christmas. They are not all negative however as
they raise hundreds of pounds for childrens charities. Perhaps the
organisation should go national?

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
.Is it me ...............or do others find the dreary Bing Crosby type Xmas
music horribly depressing when played in the shops? I am beginning to prefer
Noddie Holder shouting "It's Christmas!"

Then you get home and there are adverts on TV for Xmas Hits - Boney M, etc.

Now, what will I buy to help me enjoy Xmas - a bottle of Scotch - or a Xmas
Hits CD?
A new tool or gadget - or a Bing Crosby CD

Shoot a Christian for Jesus.

frankly Christmas is always something to be survived without actually
topping yourself.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
John wrote:
.Is it me ...............or do others find the dreary Bing Crosby type
Xmas music horribly depressing when played in the shops? I am
beginning to prefer Noddie Holder shouting "It's Christmas!"

Then you get home and there are adverts on TV for Xmas Hits - Boney M,
etc.

Now, what will I buy to help me enjoy Xmas - a bottle of Scotch - or a
Xmas Hits CD?
A new tool or gadget - or a Bing Crosby CD

Shoot a Christian for Jesus.

frankly Christmas is always something to be survived without actually
topping yourself.

Dickens had it right, bah humbug!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 00:36:03 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

John wrote:
.Is it me ...............or do others find the dreary Bing Crosby type Xmas
music horribly depressing when played in the shops? I am beginning to prefer
Noddie Holder shouting "It's Christmas!"

Then you get home and there are adverts on TV for Xmas Hits - Boney M, etc.

Now, what will I buy to help me enjoy Xmas - a bottle of Scotch - or a Xmas
Hits CD?
A new tool or gadget - or a Bing Crosby CD

Shoot a Christian for Jesus.

frankly Christmas is always something to be survived without actually
topping yourself.

Ideally, Christmas should be what you want it to be (for us a
non-event) but I guess, being a Christian country (?) the great
unwashed will continue to do what they are programmed to do.

For most of said unwashed I believe the Christmas thing has been lost
and it's just some time they buy / get presents and get drunk (more)
and eat too much (still).

As TNP says, it's also a time of extra stress / anguish / pain for
many (especially for those who are actually trapped by / into the
whole thing, primarily by commercial pressures).

The problem though is being strong enough to stand up to those who
have eyes and do not see, tarred with the 'humbug / spoilsport' thing,
simply because you don't bring a tree into your house or want to put
£5 into some 'secret Santa collection for the privilege of getting
some tat in return?

Ho ho hum ... ;-)

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
.Is it me ...............or do others find the dreary Bing Crosby
type Xmas music horribly depressing when played in the shops? I am
beginning to prefer Noddie Holder shouting "It's Christmas!"

Then you get home and there are adverts on TV for Xmas Hits - Boney
M, etc.

Now, what will I buy to help me enjoy Xmas - a bottle of Scotch - or
a Xmas Hits CD?
A new tool or gadget - or a Bing Crosby CD

Shoot a Christian for Jesus.

frankly Christmas is always something to be survived without actually
topping yourself.

Dickens had it right, bah humbug!

Don't forget that Xmas is optional. It's not a hurricane on its way.
Chain the women up somewhere and it disappears into thin air. Notice I
don't include the children who, IME don't give a toss about Xmas, but
always get the blame
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

.Is it me ...............or do others find the dreary Bing Crosby type
Xmas music horribly depressing when played in the shops?

No. Bing was good. It is you.

I am beginning to prefer Noddie Holder shouting "It's Christmas!"

Now that is grindingly appalling!

Then you get home and there are adverts on TV for Xmas Hits - Boney M,
etc.

Now, what will I buy to help me enjoy Xmas - a bottle of Scotch - or a
Xmas Hits CD?

Buy both.

A new tool or gadget - or a Bing Crosby CD

Bing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 19:11:14 -0000, "John"
wrote:

.Is it me ...............or do others find the dreary Bing Crosby type Xmas
music horribly depressing when played in the shops? I am beginning to prefer
Noddie Holder shouting "It's Christmas!"

Yes, it is horrible. It is enough to drive me out of the shop without
buying anything.

Then you get home and there are adverts on TV for Xmas Hits - Boney M, etc.

I try to avoid watching commercial TV, especially at xmas time.

Now, what will I buy to help me enjoy Xmas - a bottle of Scotch - or a Xmas
Hits CD?
A new tool or gadget - or a Bing Crosby CD

Some earplugs?

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

John wrote:
[...]

I think you are an arsehole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Doctor Drivel
writes
The problem though is being strong enough to stand up to those who
have eyes and do not see, tarred with the 'humbug / spoilsport' thing,
simply because you don't bring a tree into your house or want to put
£5 into some 'secret Santa collection for the privilege of getting
some tat in return?

Ho ho hum ... ;-)

I think you are an arsehole.

Ah - but we all KNOW that you are

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"T i m" wrote in message

SNIP

The problem though is being strong enough to stand up to those who
have eyes and do not see, tarred with the 'humbug / spoilsport'
thing, simply because you don't bring a tree into your house or want
to put £5 into some 'secret Santa collection for the privilege of
getting some tat in return?

Ho ho hum ... ;-)

I think you are an arsehole.

Have you run out of plant pots?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Doctor Drivel
writes
The problem though is being strong enough to stand up to those who
have eyes and do not see, tarred with the 'humbug / spoilsport' thing,
simply because you don't bring a tree into your house or want to put
£5 into some 'secret Santa collection for the privilege of getting
some tat in return?

Ho ho hum ... ;-)

I think you are an arsehole.

Ah - but we all KNOW that you are

Maxie, oh you are funyist. Fantastic. Never a dull moment. What a man!
Maxie, resplendent in a frock up a tree.
http://tinyurl.com/mzoan

Fabulous.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. ..
Doctor Drivel wrote:
"T i m" wrote in message

SNIP

The problem though is being strong enough to stand up to those who
have eyes and do not see, tarred with the 'humbug / spoilsport'
thing, simply because you don't bring a tree into your house or want
to put £5 into some 'secret Santa collection for the privilege of
getting some tat in return?

Ho ho hum ... ;-)

I think you are an arsehole.

Have you run out of plant pots?

Have Rogue Traders been onto you yet?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2008 19:11 John wrote:

.Is it me ...............or do others find the dreary Bing Crosby type Xmas
music horribly depressing when played in the shops?

We've just got back from three weeks in Hong Kong, Australia and
Singapore and it was being played indoors, outdoors, wherever.

Christmas in 30+°C heat! Seriously weird...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
news
On 14/12/2008 19:11 John wrote:

.Is it me ...............or do others find the dreary Bing Crosby type
Xmas music horribly depressing when played in the shops?

We've just got back from three weeks in Hong Kong, Australia and Singapore
and it was being played indoors, outdoors, wherever.

Christmas in 30+°C heat! Seriously weird...

I wonder how many people now roast chestnuts on an open fire - or go
Caroling.

How many shoppers today would recognise Bing Crosby.

Why is Xmas music in such a time warp? I guess the music is cheap to play
(performing rights and all that)

I want to hear 'happy music'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 16:59:04 -0000, "John"
wrote:
snip

I wonder how many people now roast chestnuts on an open fire

I used to - until one exploded, shot off the coal shovel and caught me
square in the nadgers.

- or go Caroling.

Not since the incident with the chestnut, I can't reach the low notes
anymore.

How many shoppers today would recognise Bing Crosby.

If I see a skeleton with a tribly and a pipe I'll be sure to get his
autograph.

Why is Xmas music in such a time warp? I guess the music is cheap to play
(performing rights and all that)

The music industry is trying to keep a low profile re. Crimbo in case
Cliff Richard releases another single.

I want to hear 'happy music'

So not Morrissey then...

Regards,

--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenet{at}gmx.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 01:40:42 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

Ho ho hum ... ;-)

I think you are an arsehole.

Talking of those, how are you and the Primus Dribble? Is it still
doing less MPG than my 15yr old Rover? Did you get the extra batteries
you were talking about from Argos, did they help?

Anyway, enough of that ... What's it like, Xmas down the soup kitchen
I mean? Will Stinky and Gobby be there again ... and as you asked, yes
I think you could call them family after all these years (thanks for
the note and ecard btw and sorry I haven't sent you one yet).

Anyway, I won't keep you from all the 'special' Xmas offer trade
brochures and catalogues you have to get through.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Ho ho hum ... ;-)

I think you are an arsehole.

Talking of those, how are you and the Primus Dribble? Is it still
doing less MPG than my 15yr old Rover? Did you get the extra batteries
you were talking about from Argos, did they help?

You are still an arsehole

Anyway, enough of that ... What's it like, Xmas down the soup kitchen
I mean? Will Stinky and Gobby be there again ... and as you asked, yes
I think you could call them family after all these years (thanks for
the note and ecard btw and sorry I haven't sent you one yet).

Anyway, I won't keep you from all the 'special' Xmas offer trade
brochures and catalogues you have to get through.

You are still an arsehole

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 09:58:53 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Ho ho hum ... ;-)

I think you are an arsehole.

Talking of those, how are you and the Primus Dribble? Is it still
doing less MPG than my 15yr old Rover? Did you get the extra batteries
you were talking about from Argos, did they help?

You are still an arsehole

Anyway, enough of that ... What's it like, Xmas down the soup kitchen
I mean? Will Stinky and Gobby be there again ... and as you asked, yes
I think you could call them family after all these years (thanks for
the note and ecard btw and sorry I haven't sent you one yet).

Anyway, I won't keep you from all the 'special' Xmas offer trade
brochures and catalogues you have to get through.

You are still an arsehole

Aww, (bless him) ... you gonna tell Matron the nasty man was making
fun of you again ... :-(

Anyway, I hope 2009 is better for you and fingers crossed, they will
find a cure for your 'problem' soon.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Anyway, I won't keep you from all the 'special' Xmas offer trade
brochures and catalogues you have to get through.

You are still an arsehole

Quite a complement, really, considering just how essential an arsehole is.
I'd never call you an arsehole.

--
*All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 10:30:52 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Anyway, I won't keep you from all the 'special' Xmas offer trade
brochures and catalogues you have to get through.

You are still an arsehole

Quite a complement, really, considering just how essential an arsehole is.
I'd never call you an arsehole.

hehe ... and there was me thinking he was just being ... well,
'Drivel' ;-)

T i m

p.s. Maybe we shouldn't dwell on the subject, what with him having his
'bag' etc? ;-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

A new tool or gadget - or a Bing Crosby CD

What's the difference between Bing Crosby and Walt Disney?

(said with a Scottish accent)

Bing Crosby sings and Walt disney

Cheers

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"John" wrote in message

A new tool or gadget - or a Bing Crosby CD

What's the difference between Bing Crosby and Walt Disney?

(said with a Scottish accent)

Bing Crosby sings and Walt disney

I missed the Scottish accent reference and didn't get that for some time...

But in a similar vein (what the hell, we're OT anyway):

Geordie to Dr: "A've fallen off a ladder like. I've really hort ma leeg"
Dr: "Can you walk?"
Geordie: "Work man? I canna hardly even wark".

- and -

Yorkshireman to jeweller: "Can tha mek a gold statue o' mi dog?"
Jeweller: "Aye, reckon a can... does tha want it eighteen carat?"
Yorkshireman: "Neigh, I want it chewin' a bone".

Badoom-tish.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
John wrote:
"John" wrote in message

A new tool or gadget - or a Bing Crosby CD

What's the difference between Bing Crosby and Walt Disney?

(said with a Scottish accent)

Bing Crosby sings and Walt disney

I missed the Scottish accent reference and didn't get that for some
time...

But in a similar vein (what the hell, we're OT anyway):

Geordie to Dr: "A've fallen off a ladder like. I've really hort ma leeg"
Dr: "Can you walk?"
Geordie: "Work man? I canna hardly even wark".

Geordie to doctor "Dr my armpits smell like coconut"
Doctor "Why man it's bounty"

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , T i m
writes
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 10:30:52 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Anyway, I won't keep you from all the 'special' Xmas offer trade
brochures and catalogues you have to get through.

You are still an arsehole

Quite a complement, really, considering just how essential an arsehole is.
I'd never call you an arsehole.

hehe ... and there was me thinking he was just being ... well,
'Drivel' ;-)

T i m

p.s. Maybe we shouldn't dwell on the subject, what with him having his
'bag' etc? ;-(

Kaptain Kolostomy ?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Anyway, I won't keep you from all the 'special' Xmas offer trade
brochures and catalogues you have to get through.

You are still an arsehole

Quite

Please eff off as you are stupid Jocko plantpot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

p.s. Maybe we shouldn't dwell on the subject, what with him having his
'bag' etc? ;-(

Kaptain Kolostomy ?

Maxie, I think you are fabulous! Fabulous. Maxie. Yes, he is. Maxie knows
things.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 17, 7:24*pm, "John" wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message

John wrote:
"John" wrote in message

A new tool or gadget - or a Bing Crosby CD

What's the difference between Bing Crosby and Walt Disney?

(said with a Scottish accent)

Bing Crosby sings and Walt disney

I missed the Scottish accent reference and didn't get that for some
time...

But in a similar vein (what the hell, we're OT anyway):

Geordie to Dr: "A've fallen off a ladder like. I've really hort ma leeg"
Dr: "Can you walk?"
Geordie: "Work man? I canna hardly even wark".

Geordie to doctor "Dr my armpits smell like coconut"
Doctor "Why man it's bounty"

John

Dragging this back to towards Christmas songs...

Noddy Holder goes to a tailor's to buy a new suit. Having found a
suit he likes, the tailor tries to sell him some accessories.

Tailor: Kipper tie, sir?

Noddy: Don't mind if I do, Milk and two sugars, please.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel coughed up some electrons that declared:

snip

I've got 25m of speedfit tube and a hacksaw. Would it help you to calm down,
you know, something therapeutic to do with your hands?

I'd donate it for the greater good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 01:31:20 +0000, Tim S wrote:

Doctor Drivel coughed up some electrons that declared:

snip

I've got 25m of speedfit tube and a hacksaw. Would it help you to calm down,
you know, something therapeutic to do with your hands?

I'd donate it for the greater good

Thanks Tim that really made me laugh (and thanks for the offer!).

Visions of Dribble sat on the floor in his dank basement flat, on his
own, draped with a few scruffy strands of tinsel and muttering to
himself whilst surrounded by several hundred short lengths of
speedfit! ;-)

Priceless!

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Visions of Dribble sat on the floor in his dank basement flat,

I'd visualised him in a one bedroom flat near the top of some run down
tower block - head in the clouds.

--
*I don't work here. I'm a consultant

Merry Xmas Lee Tollett Woodturning 6 December 26th 07 01:43 AM
what you might get for Xmas... RayV Woodworking 8 December 3rd 06 07:19 PM
Xmas DIY The Medway Handyman UK diy 28 November 10th 06 06:02 PM
My Xmas tip... Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 6 December 29th 05 12:17 PM
Get Me One Of These For Xmas J T Woodworking 4 November 26th 05 02:16 PM