Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Xmas Shopping

"Tim S" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel coughed up some electrons that declared:

snip

I've

You are still an arsehole

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 01:31:20 +0000, Tim S wrote:

Doctor Drivel coughed up some electrons that declared:

snip

I've

Another arsehole

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
T i m wrote:
Visions of Dribble sat on the floor in his dank basement flat,

I'd

Please eff off as you a drunken idiot Jocko plantpot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel coughed up some electrons that declared:

snip

I've

You are still an arsehole

I never was! You take that back ducky or I'll scratch your eyes out
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 10:03:16 +0000, clumsy *******
wrote:

T i m wrote:

For most of said unwashed I believe the Christmas thing has been lost
and it's just some time they buy / get presents and get drunk (more)
and eat too much (still).

which is what you traditionally did at the solstice before the
Christians highjacked it?

What *one* traditionally did possibly yes.

I don't know why but I'm not moved by 'tradition' or ceremony. We
don't really 'do' birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas etc etc here.
Partly because we just can't be bothered and partly because we don't
need 'excuses' to do stuff (like have a beer or buy a present).

We even got married during our lunchtime at work ... romantic or what!
;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message

We even got married during our lunchtime at work ... romantic or what!
;-)

Oooo, I was right behind you until the last bit. I think marriage more than
any other event benefits from a decent bit of ceremony and making your vows
before you family, friends and whatever deity you might believe in. (Flying
spaghetti monster etc.)

The other Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , T i m
writes
On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 01:31:20 +0000, Tim S wrote:

Doctor Drivel coughed up some electrons that declared:

snip

I've got 25m of speedfit tube and a hacksaw. Would it help you to calm down,
you know, something therapeutic to do with your hands?

I'd donate it for the greater good

Thanks Tim that really made me laugh (and thanks for the offer!).

Visions of Dribble sat on the floor in his dank basement flat, on his
own, draped with a few scruffy strands of tinsel and muttering to
himself whilst surrounded by several hundred short lengths of
speedfit! ;-)

.... mopping up the wet patches with the used tissues festooning the
floor, making paper chains out of back issues of heating and plumbing
monthly and pushing his matchbox prius around his newly created skidpad
making broom broom noises

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , T i m
writes
wrote:

T i m wrote:

For most of said unwashed I believe the Christmas thing has been lost
and it's just some time they buy / get presents and get drunk (more)
and eat too much (still).

which is what you traditionally did at the solstice before the
Christians highjacked it?

What *one* traditionally did possibly yes.

I don't know why but I'm not moved by 'tradition' or ceremony. We
don't really 'do' birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas etc etc here.
Partly because we just can't be bothered and partly because we don't
need 'excuses' to do stuff (like have a beer or buy a present).

Yullie, as a moslem, goes mad at xmas cards, decorations, food the works

I have to say, as an evangelical atheist, I pr3efer Idul Fitri (the end
of Ramadan) which is all about going around visiting people and simple
presents like rice in coconut leaves

not just a bloatfest to the gods of excess

I hate nothing more than the contrived new years party

humbug humbug

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , T i m
writes
On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 01:31:20 +0000, Tim S wrote:

Doctor Drivel coughed up some electrons that declared:

snip

I've got 25m of speedfit tube and a hacksaw. Would it help you to
calm down, you know, something therapeutic to do with your hands?

I'd donate it for the greater good

Thanks Tim that really made me laugh (and thanks for the offer!).

Visions of Dribble sat on the floor in his dank basement flat, on his
own, draped with a few scruffy strands of tinsel and muttering to
himself whilst surrounded by several hundred short lengths of
speedfit! ;-)

... mopping up the wet patches with the used tissues festooning the
floor, making paper chains out of back issues of heating and plumbing
monthly and pushing his matchbox prius around his newly created
skidpad making broom broom noises

Do you have to? Pass me one of those tissues, the screen is a mess.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

... mopping up the wet patches with the used tissues festooning the floor,
making paper chains out of back issues of heating and plumbing monthly and
pushing his matchbox prius around his newly created skidpad making broom
broom noises

Maxie you are fabulous. What a man! Have you ordered your new frock for
Christmas? Polka-dot? Fantastic. Amazing. You do things is such style
Maxie. Such style.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 22:17:43 -0000, "Tim Downie"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .

We even got married during our lunchtime at work ... romantic or what!
;-)

Oooo, I was right behind you until the last bit.

;-)

I think marriage more than
any other event benefits from a decent bit of ceremony and making your vows
before you family, friends and whatever deity you might believe in. (Flying
spaghetti monster etc.)

Hmmm. Both of us had been there done that before and basically lied
(to the Flying Spaghetti Monster as it happens) as it wasn't 'till
death us do part'?

Current wife and I got married on the advice of our solicitor. We were
thinking about having kids and 'Marriage (as a legal construct) was
the easiest way of making sure all parties had the right rights and
obligations re a child. Having the bit of paper, a ceremony or making
promises in front of *anyone* shouldn't (IMHO) force two people to
stay together if they really shouldn't. Likewise it will make no
difference if two people want to be together. I don't look at my wife
as 'my wife' but my partner, the person I chose to share my life with.
If either of us want out it should be OUR decision and we should be
able to divide the estate in a way we both (as sensible adults) see
fit. [1].

For me, personally, marriage is like road tax on your car. It can be
expensive, can be complicated to arrange, traditionally needs
interaction every year and doesn't actually make your car go any
better.

The other Tim

AN other Tim? (we also have Tim S and Tim Murphy at least) ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] Which is exactly how the first wife and I resolved it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message

We even got married during our lunchtime at work ... romantic or what!
;-)

What a cheapo!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 23:29:49 +0000, geoff wrote:

Yullie, as a moslem, goes mad at xmas cards, decorations, food the works

;-)

I have to say, as an evangelical atheist, I pr3efer Idul Fitri (the end
of Ramadan) which is all about going around visiting people and simple
presents like rice in coconut leaves

I *prefer* not to do any of it! ;-)

not just a bloatfest to the gods of excess

I dare say it's not like that for everyone (especially those forced
that way through poverty etc).

I hate nothing more than the contrived new years party

Nor me. FWIW when I do go to any such events (and it's normally
friends or 'friendly family' (rather than just people who happen to be
related somehow)) it's mostly because I'm (currently) the main driver
in the family (and so I can't drink either) so I'm there anyway and
because they all know me (and my strange ways) they find me a nice job
to do, like servicing their PC's, assembling something (least year it
was a flat pack CD cabinet) or fixing stuff (they warn me in advance
so I can take the right tools).

The idea of sitting down watching Xmas TV or playing charades would
drive me mad(er)!

humbug humbug

It's not though is it Geoff (as we both know). I know you are a nice
bloke and have helped me (and I dare say many other here and
elsewhere) because you are wired that way. Many (not *all* notice) of
the people who 'do' things like Christmas (with the presents etc)
wouldn't **** on a tramp if he was on fire, Christmas or any other
time. Goodwill to all men as long as ... etc.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 22:17:43 -0000, "Tim Downie"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Until it is acrimonious. And then the man get shafted good style and the
women strips him bare in 90% of cases. The UK divorce laws are so open to
interpretation by the judge. Judges will not go against kids or the woman or
ethnic minorities etc, for fear of ridicule by minority bodies and do
gooders. The law need tightening up and more specific. I know many men
that have been financially raped and will be very poor when retired, while
the ex has very large house and had all her debts paid for by him and gets
money every week from him as well.

Women from abroad come to get divorced as they know the system heavily
favours them. Woman from abroad come here and set men up and walk away with
money they could not earn in 6 lifetimes in their countries. Ever heard of
Fathers For Justice? The men in purple.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:18:31 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"geoff" wrote in message

... mopping up the wet patches with the used tissues festooning the floor,
making paper chains out of back issues of heating and plumbing monthly and
pushing his matchbox prius around his newly created skidpad making broom
broom noises

Maxie you are fabulous. What a man! Have you ordered your new frock for
Christmas? Polka-dot? Fantastic. Amazing. You do things is such style
Maxie. Such style.

No, he's silly isn't he, you wouldn't make 'broom broom' noises with a
Primus. It would be more like 'wee wee' wouldn't it?

And a new frock? How comes he get's an invite to one of your *special
parties* and I don't!? :-(

Cheers,

A Hole. xx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , T i m
writes
wrote:

T i m wrote:

[...]

Maxie you are a Moslem and also an atheist?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"geoff" wrote in message

... mopping up the wet patches with the used tissues festooning the
floor,
making paper chains out of back issues of heating and plumbing monthly
and
pushing his matchbox prius around his newly created skidpad making broom
broom noises

Maxie you are fabulous. What a man! Have you ordered your new frock for
Christmas? Polka-dot? Fantastic. Amazing. You do things is such style
Maxie. Such style.

No, he's silly isn't he, you wouldn't make 'broom broom' noises with a
Primus. It would be more like 'wee wee' wouldn't it?

And a new frock? How comes he get's an invite to one of your *special
parties* and I don't!? :-(

No one upstages Maxie! No doubt you will come in with a Versachi frock!
One man in a frock is enough.

I provide the Dinky toys. Maxie has a pocket in his frock for his test
meter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:44:35 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

[...]

Ah, sorry, I should have realised, it all fits now.

THAT is why you are so bitter and twisted, your catalogue bride (makes
sense) shafted you (and probably took all you belongings [1]) and went
back to Taiwan.

Ever heard of
Fathers For Justice? The men in purple.

I know the Men in Orange (B&Q) and I've seen MIB??

Cheers, T i m

[1] Everything except your stack of Condensing Boiler manuals and the
Primus of course, she wasn't *stupid*. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message

The idea of sitting down watching Xmas TV or playing charades would
drive me mad(er)!

Charades? What sort of peopel are you? My parties swing and the walls move
with the sound volume.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message

Women from abroad come to get divorced as they know the system heavily
favours them. Woman from abroad come here and set men up and walk away
with
money they could not earn in 6 lifetimes in their countries.

Ah, sorry, I should have realised, it all fits now.

THAT is why you are so bitter and twisted, your catalogue bride (makes
sense) shafted you (and probably took all you belongings [1]) and went
back to Taiwan.

Yer. Of course!

Ever heard of
Fathers For Justice? The men in purple.

I know the Men in Orange (B&Q) and I've seen MIB??

You werido!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:33:47 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .

We even got married during our lunchtime at work ... romantic or what!
;-)

What a cheapo!

I wouldn't call £17.50 cheap for a bit of meaningless (to me) paper.

I mean, with the same money you could have bought a good Readers
Digest book on plumbing couldn't you?

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:56:33 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .

The idea of sitting down watching Xmas TV or playing charades would
drive me mad(er)!

Charades? What sort of peopel are you? My parties swing

Swinging parties? Do you have to 'buy in' if you are a single male? Or
is it they just use your flat (because of your workshop / dungeon) and
you can watch for free?

and the walls move
with the sound volume.

Yeah, I've been in those cheap flats, terrible.

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:56:33 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
. ..

The idea of sitting down watching Xmas TV or playing charades would
drive me mad(er)!

Charades? What sort of peopel are you? My parties swing

Swinging parties?

It is obvious you have never been to one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:33:47 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
. ..

We even got married during our lunchtime at work ... romantic or what!
;-)

What a cheapo!

I wouldn't call £17.50 cheap for a bit of meaningless (to me) paper.

This one puts Scrooge to shame.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
My parties swing and the walls move with the sound volume.

That hacksaw certainly gets around.

--
*You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
My parties swing and the walls move with the sound volume.

That

Please eff off as you total Jocko idiotic plantpot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 12:24:39 +0000, clumsy *******
wrote:

whisper I would do anything for a knighthood

*Anything* ??

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 12:27:25 +0000, clumsy *******
wrote:

T i m wrote:

Likewise it will make no
difference if two people want to be together.

it a well worn myth that people who actually marry rather than cohabit
are more likely to stay together.

I never considered it either way. *Personally* I think (like Xmas) for
many the whole thing has got out of hand. How much is a 'typical'
wedding package these days? Like the money wouldn't often be better
used going towards a place of their own etc (IMHO of course).

Not only did we get married during our lunch hour we only told the two
witnesses we needed to make the thing legal of our plans. Why, because
that was the only way we could do what *we* wanted without well
meaning people poking their noses in telling us what we wanted or
should have. We felt it would be less painful for them that way.

It has the same validity as "red cars have more accidents, lets paint
the red cars grey to improve road safety"

I wouldn't be surprised. :-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
whisper I would do anything for a knighthood

*Anything* ??

Dribble's father had one.

Unfortunately he never wore it...

--

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , T i m
writes
wrote:

"geoff" wrote in message

... mopping up the wet patches with the used tissues festooning the floor,
making paper chains out of back issues of heating and plumbing monthly and
pushing his matchbox prius around his newly created skidpad making broom
broom noises

Maxie you are fabulous. What a man! Have you ordered your new frock for
Christmas? Polka-dot? Fantastic. Amazing. You do things is such style
Maxie. Such style.

No, he's silly isn't he, you wouldn't make 'broom broom' noises with a
Primus.

y9ou do when the batteries have failed

It would be more like 'wee wee' wouldn't it?

no, that's the incontinence bag splitting

And a new frock? How comes he get's an invite to one of your *special
parties* and I don't!? :-(

Cheers,

A Hole. xx

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

y9ou do when the batteries have failed

Maxie, what things do you use with a battery in it?

It would be more like 'wee wee' wouldn't it?

no, that's the incontinence bag splitting

What has to do with your flocks?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
whisper I would do anything for a knighthood

*Anything* ??

This man must eff off as he is an idiot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 08:58:11 +0000, clumsy *******
wrote:

T i m wrote:

I never considered it either way. *Personally* I think (like Xmas) for
many the whole thing has got out of hand. How much is a 'typical'
wedding package these days? Like the money wouldn't often be better
used going towards a place of their own etc (IMHO of course).

you have to remember that for many people, its not what you have got,
its what you have got *more* than others that matters, hence the
showing off at weddings.

Bizarre ...

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 08:59:49 +0000, clumsy *******
wrote:

T i m wrote:

whisper I would do anything for a knighthood

*Anything* ??

Well. it's a turn of phrase, isn't it.

It is. :-)

It would have to be legal or
hard to get caught.

Hmmmm ...

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 08:29:33 +0000, clumsy *******
wrote:

T i m wrote:

I never considered it either way. *Personally* I think (like Xmas) for
many the whole thing has got out of hand. How much is a 'typical'
wedding package these days? Like the money wouldn't often be better
used going towards a place of their own etc (IMHO of course).

you have to remember that for many people, its not what you have got,
its what you have got *more* than others that matters, hence the
showing off at weddings.

Bizarre ...

to us, yes.

I know we are all different etc but I wonder what it is in people that
makes them feel good by being (or thinking they are being) better than
someone else just by buying certain stuff?

Maybe if I had more money I would think the same way, but I doubt it.

I buy what I want and need for *me*. It's not always the cheapest (but
is rarely the most expensive) but more_often_than_not, bought on it's
actual merits rather than any badge etc. However, if you don't know a
particular field, going with one of the generally respected badges can
be a safe move (spares / sh value etc) but may not always be the best
VFM move. You aren't buying the badge per -se in that case, you are
hopefully buying the practical facets you hope it represents
(reliability, performance etc). I don't think that is the same thing
as buying say a Prius, simply to make yourself look 'green' (as some
of the celebs seem to have done).

Don't get me wrong though, there is a part of me that enjoys knowing I
have a 'nice thing', however I can generally only afford such by
buying it cheap / broken and repairing or restoring said myself.
"That's nice, someone's done a nice job on that" means a whole load
more to me than "you must have paid a bit for that ...".

Horses for courses though, without those who can't do, most of us here
would have nothing to do! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I worked with a lad who spent a fortune on clothes. Whilst
chatting to him once (with me standing in my Tesco jeans and market T
shirt) I asked him to try to explain it all to me. He said summat
like:

"I paid 60 quid for this shirt, 80 quid for these jeans, 100 for these
trainers, 200 quid for this watch and 50 quid for this belt. I know
that when I'm walking down the street people will see me and think
'He's the dogs' ..." ??? So it appeared he wasn't buying this stuff
only for himself. To me, value , comfort, practicality are what I
think about when buying clothes (on the rare times she can get me to
do so) not what other people might think (and why she often says "If
you think we are going out with you looking like that ..!"g).
However I guess he could be right, there must be a group of people,
similar to him where it would all be important.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
snip

[...]

Perhaps he'd read this newsgroup and realised that some people use
suggestions of homelessness and poverty as insults. Maybe he just wanted to
make sure that he wasn't subject to the same sort of name calling.

--

PeterMcC

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 19:12:39 -0000, "PeterMcC"
wrote:

"I paid 60 quid for this shirt, 80 quid for these jeans, 100 for these
trainers, 200 quid for this watch and 50 quid for this belt. I know
that when I'm walking down the street people will see me and think
'He's the dogs' ..." ??? So it appeared he wasn't buying this stuff
only for himself. To me, value , comfort, practicality are what I
think about when buying clothes (on the rare times she can get me to
do so) not what other people might think (and why she often says "If
you think we are going out with you looking like that ..!"g).
However I guess he could be right, there must be a group of people,
similar to him where it would all be important.

Perhaps he'd read this newsgroup and realised that some people use
suggestions of homelessness and poverty as insults. Maybe he just wanted to
make sure that he wasn't subject to the same sort of name calling.

Well it could be I suppose (in concept) and is it a pity that there
are people that may do that sort of thing (the name calling) that
allow those bothered by such to do what they do (be 'flash')?

We have a local 'homeless guy', sleeps rough, collects weird stuff but
has (apparently) more money than most. I have spoken to him several
times (once in the local Internet Cafe where he was checking his
emails (and he always pays his way)) and he appears to be a very lucid
and well educated chap.

Ironically, quite a few of the 'flash' people don't have a pot to pi$$
in?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

only for himself. To me, value , comfort, practicality are what I
think about when buying clothes (on the rare times she can get me to
do so) not what other people might think (and why she often says "If
you think we are going out with you looking like that ..!"g).
However I guess he could be right, there must be a group of people,
similar to him where it would all be important.

I think they're called 'teenagers'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 09:44:43 +0000, Lobster
wrote:

T i m wrote:

only for himself. To me, value , comfort, practicality are what I
think about when buying clothes (on the rare times she can get me to
do so) not what other people might think (and why she often says "If
you think we are going out with you looking like that ..!"g).
However I guess he could be right, there must be a group of people,
similar to him where it would all be important.

I think they're called 'teenagers'

LOL

Well, sometimes possibly. Luckily the teenager that lives here isn't
motivated by such things (yet anyway). The other day she was
interested to calculate that she was about to go up the pub with her
mates wearing 19 quids worth of clothes, and trust me she wouldn't
leave the house if she didn't look 'ok'.

Nope, she comes back from a raid of the charity shops with a couple of
bags of very nice (as in made rather than label) clothes and change
from £20. ;-)

That's not to say all her clothes are cheap though ... like her Stihl
trousers and Haix boots but they don't often appear in the charity
shops. :-(

Cheers, T i m.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

Ironically, quite a few of the 'flash' people don't have a pot to pi$$
in?

If you have a lot of money, the last thing you want to do is advertise
the fact.

You will never be sure who your friends are, and will constantly have to
fend off people trying to take it away from you.

People's reaction to someone with apparently more money than they have,
is that about 10% smile, shake your hand and say 'well done, you deserve
it' about 25% smile and say 'well done, you deserve it' while gritting
their teeth and working out how to get their hands on it. 25% just look
****ed off and 50% will key your car out of pure hatred.

Merry Xmas Lee Tollett Woodturning 6 December 26th 07 01:43 AM
what you might get for Xmas... RayV Woodworking 8 December 3rd 06 07:19 PM
Xmas DIY The Medway Handyman UK diy 28 November 10th 06 06:02 PM
My Xmas tip... Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 6 December 29th 05 12:17 PM
Get Me One Of These For Xmas J T Woodworking 4 November 26th 05 02:16 PM