Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Xmas Shopping

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 14:18:08 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

T i m wrote:

Ironically, quite a few of the 'flash' people don't have a pot to pi$$
in?

If you have a lot of money, the last thing you want to do is advertise
the fact.

You will never be sure who your friends are, and will constantly have to
fend off people trying to take it away from you.

People's reaction to someone with apparently more money than they have,
is that about 10% smile, shake your hand and say 'well done, you deserve
it' about 25% smile and say 'well done, you deserve it' while gritting
their teeth and working out how to get their hands on it. 25% just look
****ed off and 50% will key your car out of pure hatred.

And apparently some of that attitude is a 'British' thing?

In the States I'm told 'doing well' is something they applaud, along
with treating tradesmen and/or engineers with respect?

Our daughter thinks she is seeing a pattern since doing the Arb work.

People in the big houses shout instructions from the top window while
you are working in their garden covered in dog mess and send your
money by cheque 30+ days later (on the third time of asking).

The old couple in the bungalow feed you tea and cake all day, *ask*
"if you get some time would you also mind tidying up the end of that
other hedge, we don't mind paying extra" and you get paid the same
day.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 16:50:30 +0000 T i m wrote :
People in the big houses shout instructions from the top
window while you are working in their garden covered in dog
mess and send your money by cheque 30+ days later (on the
third time of asking).

Back in my BCO days my patch included Kingston Hill, private
roads with very expensive houses. One afternoon I got drawn into
conversation with the owner's wife who said that they had been
able to move there after receiving a legacy, but they were just
ordinary people. "We are the only people in the road who look
after our own garden and the neighbours never let us forget it".
After that I never hankered after having enough money to live in
a road like that.

--
Tony Bryer, 'Software to build on' from Greentram
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 08:11:10 +1100, Tony Bryer
wrote:

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 16:50:30 +0000 T i m wrote :
People in the big houses shout instructions from the top
window while you are working in their garden covered in dog
mess and send your money by cheque 30+ days later (on the
third time of asking).

Back in my BCO days my patch included Kingston Hill, private
roads with very expensive houses. One afternoon I got drawn into
conversation with the owner's wife who said that they had been
able to move there after receiving a legacy, but they were just
ordinary people. "We are the only people in the road who look
after our own garden and the neighbours never let us forget it".
After that I never hankered after having enough money to live in
a road like that.

Shame isn't it. Along with seeing a 4 week old and very expensive
kitchen being 'publicly' thrown in the skip, "because it's what one
does ..."?

We have always enjoyed the simple things in life and consider
ourselves very lucky that we do (especially during a credit crunch).

I have a good mate who's entire focus in life is to earn money but not
seeming to spend much. What he does spend seems (to us) as frivolous,
£300 on a meal for four or £1500 for a long weekend in a 'nice' hotel.

He can't understand why anyone would want to sleep in a field or pee
in bucket. ;-)

For us (Me, Mrs, Daughter), motorcycle / cycle / camping is a change,
seeing the sights [1], doing something completely different to
sleeping between 4 brick walls and having everything on-tap. A hotel
for us would be like staying round someone else's house, eating when
they eat ... yawn! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] When we tell people the things we have seen and done in two weeks,
even in England, they think we would need another holiday! ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 19:12:39 -0000, "PeterMcC"
wrote:

"I paid 60 quid for this shirt, 80 quid for these jeans, 100 for these
trainers, 200 quid for this watch and 50 quid for this belt. I know
that when I'm walking down the street people will see me and think
'He's the dogs' ..." ??? So it appeared he wasn't buying this stuff
only for himself. To me, value , comfort, practicality are what I
think about when buying clothes (on the rare times she can get me to
do so) not what other people might think (and why she often says "If
you think we are going out with you looking like that ..!"g).
However I guess he could be right, there must be a group of people,
similar to him where it would all be important.

Perhaps he'd read this newsgroup and realised that some people use
suggestions of homelessness and poverty as insults. Maybe he just wanted
make sure that he wasn't subject to the same sort of name calling.

Well it could be I suppose (in concept) and is it a pity that there
are people that may do that sort of thing...

The type of thing that goes "What's it like, Xmas down the soup kitchen I
mean? Will Stinky and Gobby be there again " or "you gonna tell Matron the
nasty man was making fun of you again"?

Might it be worth reflecting on?

A genuine wish for a Happy Christmas to all - and please, I do mean the
sig's contents if I've gone too far in the above.

Cheers

--
PeterMcC

inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 11:24:54 -0000, "PeterMcC"
wrote:

Perhaps he'd read this newsgroup and realised that some people use
suggestions of homelessness and poverty as insults. Maybe he just wanted
make sure that he wasn't subject to the same sort of name calling.

Well it could be I suppose (in concept) and is it a pity that there
are people that may do that sort of thing...

The type of thing that goes "What's it like, Xmas down the soup kitchen I
mean? Will Stinky and Gobby be there again " or "you gonna tell Matron the
nasty man was making fun of you again"?

Might it be worth reflecting on?

Indeed it might, if that was the sort of thing you were likely to come
out with in the real world! (and a story I have related to myself more
than once).

A genuine wish for a Happy Christmas to all - and please, I do mean the
sig's contents if I've gone too far in the above.

Not at all, if you can't take it you shouldn't give it out eh? :-)

All the best ..

T i m.

Merry Xmas Lee Tollett Woodturning 6 December 26th 07 01:43 AM
what you might get for Xmas... RayV Woodworking 8 December 3rd 06 07:19 PM
Xmas DIY The Medway Handyman UK diy 28 November 10th 06 06:02 PM
My Xmas tip... Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 6 December 29th 05 12:17 PM
Get Me One Of These For Xmas J T Woodworking 4 November 26th 05 02:16 PM