Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default another bog clearing technique.

Yup. Upstair bog filled to the brim..taking an hour to empty, filthy,
stinking..tried a bit of caustic overnight..no joy. Tried coat hangers,
no joy. Basin/bath coupled in to vertical stack below bog all fine..must
be U bend or where the pipe joins the stack..utterly inaccessible..all
inside the wall..

Hmm. Normally would stick hose up it but danger of exploding crap heap
on bathroom floor. Cant get to stack top from below. Bugger.

Well hose is a good rodding agent anyway, saw off bit of scrap hose (the
one SHE left in the frost with the tap turned on, that split to buggery)
and push it round u bend and wiggle. No joy. Should I siphon te ****
out? no way.

Well at least lets see where the hose is and the blockage by blowing
down hose..and being careful not to suck. Hmm. That's ODD. No bubbles.
so how come the air is getting out, but not the water?.

Blow some more and suddenly its clear!

I can't fathom it personally, but it worked.

Maybe someone else can.

AFAICR the stack is pretty much straight up and down, with a right angle
at the bottom that runs into a manhole covered thing. Forget the name.
There are various other things coming in at lower levels..the kitchen
waste system goes into a collar there, and at bathroom height the bog
waste couples in, with the basin/bath sharing a final exit into a
collar. Above that lot the stack goes up and a reducer takes it to 3"
pipe, which wanders off through the roof space to exit under the eaves
way down..

So the blockage - and again I think there was nothing abnormal except
maybe a plastic comb or something silly - down there, must have been
somewhere where the bog pipe joins the stack, but why would blowing down
it work, when a pan full of ****ty water didn't?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:32:06 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

[...]

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeugh !!!!! is all I can say .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Assume pipe tolally blocked but mainly liquid. Hose penetrates solids.
Bubble of air raises blockage so comb or whatever is no longer wedged
and away she goes.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 11, 11:32*am, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
[...]

The hose penetrated the blockage and you were blowing past it?

Blow some more and suddenly its clear!

Either:

(1) you wiggled the hose whilst blowing and cleared the blockage? or
(2) The hose penetrating the blockage started a small flow which
started to clear the blockage. I find they often go with a sudden
woosh!

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q wrote:
[...]

The last sounds the most likely.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
but why would blowing
down it work, when a pan full of ****ty water didn't?

You want to change your brand of toothpaste.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do, or rather did, you have a chicken wire mesh cover over an outside
vent pipe?

If so they tend to fall in eventually and cause a restriction.
Toilet paper breaks down readily, except for Andrex & some others,
poking a hose will easily degrade its integrity and it will go (indeed
with a whoosh). The blockage can remain above the elbow in the vent
pipe (vacuum).

Bang on the soil pipe and you can often hear the old mesh chink as it
crabs downwards.

Might be worth sticking a sacrificial camera down if it re-occurs,
plugged in of course :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeugh !!!!! is all I can say .

Things could be worse.

THE VIDEO CLIP BELOW IS NOT PORN BUT THERE IS PORN ON THIS LINK. THE CHOICE
IS YOURS TO MAKE.

So do not open the link below infront of children etc, the adverts around
the video are porn.

http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=video&file=****ty_job_india.wmv

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARWadsworth
writes

wrote in message

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeugh !!!!! is all I can say .

Things could be worse.

THE VIDEO CLIP BELOW IS NOT PORN BUT THERE IS PORN ON THIS LINK. THE CHOICE
IS YOURS TO MAKE.

So do not open the link below infront of children etc, the adverts around
the video are porn.

http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=video&file=****ty_job_india.wmv

And ... without a paddle

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , ARWadsworth
writes

wrote in message

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeugh !!!!! is all I can say .

Things could be worse.

THE VIDEO CLIP BELOW IS NOT PORN BUT THERE IS PORN ON THIS LINK. THE
CHOICE
IS YOURS TO MAKE.

So do not open the link below infront of children etc, the adverts around
the video are porn.

http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=video&file=****ty_job_india.wmv

And ... without a paddle

Talking about bog cleaning. Where I worked we had an aircraft engine
running facility, which had 2 toilet closets. The bog cleaner was
getting a bit fed up with unblocking them and decided to take drastic
action.

By scrounging the parts he made up a reasonable air tight cover to fit
the porcelain and he had a Schrader (sp) valve fitted to it. As there
was no shop air there, he dragged round a set of nitrogen bottles and
connected them up to his home made cover. Placed a couple of buckets of
water on top and turned on the nitrogen.

The result was that the other toilet cubical suffered a serious blast of
gas the wrong way and the blockage erupted into the air, covering the
walls and ceiling. Must have been a hell of a job to clean up after that.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Dave wrote:

Talking about bog cleaning. Where I worked we had an aircraft engine
running facility, which had 2 toilet closets. The bog cleaner was
getting a bit fed up with unblocking them and decided to take drastic
action.

By scrounging the parts he made up a reasonable air tight cover to fit
the porcelain and he had a Schrader (sp) valve fitted to it. As there
was no shop air there, he dragged round a set of nitrogen bottles and
connected them up to his home made cover. Placed a couple of buckets of
water on top and turned on the nitrogen.

The result was that the other toilet cubical suffered a serious blast of
gas the wrong way and the blockage erupted into the air, covering the
walls and ceiling. Must have been a hell of a job to clean up after that.

Many, many years ago (you remind me), I worked as a hospital cleaner for
a while. One of the regular jobs occurred when a patient had been given
a barium enema, had their x-rays done - and couldn't quite make it to
the toilet. Pale faeces and barium mix sprayed all over. I never could
understand how so much ended up on the ceiling... Just too similar to
the image your description provoked.

(I always imagined how awful the poor patient felt. Quite possibly very
ill and they had to cope with the enema, holding on during the x-rays
and then the embarrassment of failing to discharge it into the bowl.)

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Dec, 16:47, Rod wrote:

And I thought it was Izal and Bronco that were pigs to break down.

No surprise. They're vulcanised. Thet's why you end up with skid marks
half way up your back when you use the damn stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Dec, 23:37, Dave wrote:
geoff wrote:
In message , ARWadsworth
writes

wrote in message

[...]

Dave- Hide quoted text -

I trust he checked the adjacent cubicle was vacant before said
procedure was carried out.

It could bring a total new meaning to "getting your own back".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 13 Dec, 23:37, Dave wrote:
geoff wrote:
In message , ARWadsworth
writes
wrote in message
[...]

It certainly would have been an uplifting experience though :-)

Dave

Clearing a culvert drain... BlinnPR Home Repair 5 June 26th 07 04:41 AM
Clearing a pump NickD UK diy 9 November 20th 05 02:54 PM
Problems clearing drain weeG Home Repair 2 August 16th 05 11:59 PM
Cheque clearing in the UK Mick UK diy 34 August 8th 05 11:32 AM
Gutter clearing Andy Pandy UK diy 13 January 7th 05 09:02 AM