Posted to uk.d-i-y
NickD

Default Clearing a pump

Hi all,

I've been scanning through this group looking for some help, but all to
no avail, so here goes....

In my flat there is a small bathroom with shower and toilet outflows
connected to a Saniflo. Let's not get into the whys and wherefores;
suffice it to say that I know just how cr@p they are... Anyway, there
is clearly a blockage - the toilet is now backed up, and turning on the
pump (at the fuse) sets it going non-stop, whilst not actually removing
anything.

After doing some research (OK, reading some posts) I bought some
caustic soda, mixed up half a pot and put it down in two batches. So
far, so uneventful.

So what now? I'm reluctant to take it out partly because a) the filth
and b) there'd have to be something to replace it... I'm also not keen
on putting sulphuric acid down there, which seems to be next choice, as
there's concentrated sodium hydroxide down there- the reaction could
be messy.
Help!

Thanks
Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

On 18 Nov 2005 09:08:11 -0800, "NickD" wrote:

So what now? I'm reluctant to take it out partly because a) the filth
and b) there'd have to be something to replace it... I'm also not keen
on putting sulphuric acid down there, which seems to be next choice, as
there's concentrated sodium hydroxide down there- the reaction could
be messy.
Help!

Set up a webcam and let us all watch :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay

"NickD" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I've been scanning through this group looking for some help, but all to
no avail, so here goes....

In my flat there is a small bathroom with shower and toilet outflows
connected to a Saniflo. Let's not get into the whys and wherefores;
suffice it to say that I know just how cr@p they are... Anyway, there
is clearly a blockage - the toilet is now backed up, and turning on the
pump (at the fuse) sets it going non-stop, whilst not actually removing
anything.

After doing some research (OK, reading some posts) I bought some
caustic soda, mixed up half a pot and put it down in two batches. So
far, so uneventful.

Depending on where the blockage is, caustic soda may not help. If it can't
get to the site of the blockage, or is diluted by the other "liquid"
en-route, it isn't going to do much.

So what now? I'm reluctant to take it out partly because a) the filth
and b) there'd have to be something to replace it... I'm also not keen
on putting sulphuric acid down there, which seems to be next choice, as
there's concentrated sodium hydroxide down there- the reaction could
be messy.

I don't know much about Saniflows but, I assume, they have some sort of
"tank" the fills, a sensor detects this and turns on the pump. When the tank
empties, the pump is turned off. If the inlet or outlet of the pump is
blocked, it will run forever. Caustic etc may work very slowly if there is a
"trickle" of flow but I'd not count on it.

I'm afraid you may have to boldly venture into the slime. Or get someone
else to do it ;-)

--
73
Brian, G8OSN

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Malcolm Race

NickD wrote:
[...]

Whatever you do, DON'T put concentrated sulphuric acid in as

1) it generates considerable heat when mixed with water - the mixture
must be stirred otherwise local boiling which will result in spitting
will occur

2) any reaction with sodum hudroxice will again generate considerable
heat with unpredictable results.

From what I have read in this NG you are at the smelly and unpleasant
end of someones cost cutting - bit the bullet, preferably waring a
respirator and industrial strength pvc gauntlets. Best of luck

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

NickD wrote:
[...]

Never used a Saniflo but at least it sounds like the blockage is before
the pump and you'd be better pulling it rather than pushing it further
towards the pump. If the water level drops eventually, it may just be in
the trap. I'd say get your hand down there if it weren't for the
caustic, although actually it's pretty slow acting stuff. As long as you
get your hand/arm under a running tap within a couple of minutes, you'd
be okay.
Sorry, not very helpful, but our thoughts are with you.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember "NickD"
saying something like:

Saniflo

So what now? I'm reluctant to take it out partly because a) the filth
and b) there'd have to be something to replace it... I'm also not keen
on putting sulphuric acid down there, which seems to be next choice, as
there's concentrated sodium hydroxide down there- the reaction could
be messy.
Help!

No idea, do be sure to tell us how you got on. Should be funny.
--
Dave
GS850x2 SE6a
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Newshound

Use a wet and dry to empty out the toilet pan. Then take the lid off the
saniflow and empty that. Then you need to establish if the outlet pipe is
solidly blocked. Can you get at the discharge end of the small bore? Can you
poke at the input of the outlet from the saniflow, if you see what I meam?
My bet is that something solid is blocking the pump outlet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Brian Reay wrote:
I'm afraid you may have to boldly venture into the slime. Or get someone
else to do it ;-)

If you do the latter, *make sure* you've told them that there's
caustic in the system.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomas Prufer

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 21:29:59 +0000, Chris Bacon wrote:

Brian Reay wrote:
I'm afraid you may have to boldly venture into the slime. Or get someone
else to do it ;-)

If you do the latter, *make sure* you've told them that there's
caustic in the system.

It might be an idea to pour a lot of vinegar into the pump. Not to do anything
to the blockage, but to neutralize the caustic. And the vinegar won't do
anything nearly as nasty to skin as caustic.

Vinegar's also recommended as a neutralizing wash for a particularly effective
oven cleaner I have, and it does immediately remove the slick soapy feel of a
splash of caustic eating skin. Might be good to have some on hand just in case.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Brian Reay wrote:

I'm afraid you may have to boldly venture into the slime. Or get someone
else to do it ;-)

If you do the latter, *make sure* you've told them that there's
caustic in the system.

It might be an idea to pour a lot of vinegar into the pump. Not to do anything
to the blockage, but to neutralize the caustic.

But how much vinegar would it take to neutralise half a tub of caustic?
Several gallons I would think