David Hearn

Default Silent central heating pump?

Our central heating pump is located in our airing cupboard, which is
actually a conti-board cupboard in a bedroom (pre-existing when we
arrived here) which is right next to where we put the spare bed. The
bedroom it is in is actually our 1 year old son's nursery.

The problem is that the pump makes enough noise when it's running to be
disturbing. We believe that this is what is waking our son quite early
in the morning. We're experimenting with putting the heating/water on
later - however this could be a problem in the winter, and also as we
could do with hot water early one morning a week - although for now we
can make do without.

The pump is a Grundfos UPS (15-50 I think) and has been here since we
arrived 2 years ago. It doesn't look terribly old - however rest of the
system was a *bit* dated - but not terribly (old boiler + signs of pump
relocation). Consequently I don't really know how old the pump is.

The pump is on its lowest setting (1 of 3) and turning the pump up makes
a lot more noise although I think part of it is that it's resonating
around the pipework. The pump is mounted within a kind of vertical U
before entering the cylinder (pumping downwards in the down leg of the U
with what appears to be an air-valve at the top of the U) -
consequently, the pipework can move a little - allowing it to resonate -
although I don't believe the low speed noise is resonating as its only
really noticable within the room, unlike the higher speed which can be
noticable downstairs too.

What I'd like to know is if there is a particular make/model of pump
which is quieter than this one. Relocating the pump is out the
question, as is altering the pipework. I guess a new pump should be
quieter just because the bearings are new - as would reducing the RPM,
although I guess we can't really that unless the pump is physically
larger to get the same throughput.

Can the orientation of the pump alter the noise? I know pumping
downwards can be a problem for air - however that's how it was when we
got there, and our boiler states it must have the pump on a particular
feed/return so reversing the pump may be a problem.

Any ideas for a quiet pump replacement?

Thanks

David

David Hearn wrote:

The pump is on its lowest setting (1 of 3) and turning the pump up makes
a lot more noise although I think part of it is that it's resonating
around the pipework. The pump is mounted within a kind of vertical U
before entering the cylinder (pumping downwards in the down leg of the U
with what appears to be an air-valve at the top of the U) -
consequently, the pipework can move a little - allowing it to resonate -
although I don't believe the low speed noise is resonating as its only
really noticable within the room, unlike the higher speed which can be
noticable downstairs too.

I changed my pump to pump up and at the same time used a cleaner and
inhibitor in the system and after doing that the pump made so little
noise that it was difficult to determine whether it was running at all.

Mike Dodd

David Hearn wrote:
[...]

I think if you was to replace the pump you'd be pleasantly surprised; I
did this only a month or so ago, and, despite some bloody-mindedness of
the existing plumbing, it was a fairly painless job.

You might want to review my experience, here, first though...

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....85aebfda0dc02c

Mike

On Tue, 31 May 2005 16:20:13 +0100, Mike Dodd no-address@lo0 wrote:

The pump is a Grundfos UPS (15-50 I think) and has been here since we
arrived 2 years ago. It doesn't look terribly old - however rest of the
system was a *bit* dated - but not terribly (old boiler + signs of pump
relocation). Consequently I don't really know how old the pump is.

I changed the same pump for a Grundfos Alpha a couple of years ago -
far far quieter.

Get new valves at the same time - I couldnt get my old ones off ( even
in the workshop afterwards).

I believe they appear on Ebay at regular intervals.

Robert
royall at which net

On Tue, 31 May 2005 17:19:13 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 31 May 2005 16:20:13 +0100, Mike Dodd no-address@lo0 wrote:

The pump is a Grundfos UPS (15-50 I think) and has been here since we
arrived 2 years ago. It doesn't look terribly old - however rest of

the
system was a *bit* dated - but not terribly (old boiler + signs of pump
relocation). Consequently I don't really know how old the pump is.

I changed the same pump for a Grundfos Alpha a couple of years ago -
far far quieter.

Get new valves at the same time - I couldnt get my old ones off ( even
in the workshop afterwards).

I believe they appear on Ebay at regular intervals.

The valves or Alpha pumps?

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

Alpha pumps
royall at which net

Mike

"David Hearn" wrote in message
[...]

Fit a Grundfos Alpha. Electronically self-controlled so it only pumps when
needed, it really is as quiet as you're likely to get.

mike ring

"Mike" wrote in :

Any ideas for a quiet pump replacement?

Fit a Grundfos Alpha. Electronically self-controlled so it only pumps
when needed, it really is as quiet as you're likely to get.

OK, I give up.

Can anyone tell me where to find mechanical drawings of the Alpha?

I've been through the Grundfos site, and their posh system has utterly
defeated me.

It's only that space is a bit tight, and I'd like to check I can get the
bulgy bit in.

Anyone know where there's a naccessible picture with dimensions please?

mike
Mike

"mike ring" wrote in message
. 1.4...
"Mike" wrote in :

Any ideas for a quiet pump replacement?

Fit a Grundfos Alpha. Electronically self-controlled so it only pumps
when needed, it really is as quiet as you're likely to get.

OK, I give up.

Can anyone tell me where to find mechanical drawings of the Alpha?

I've been through the Grundfos site, and their posh system has utterly
defeated me.

It's only that space is a bit tight, and I'd like to check I can get the
bulgy bit in.

Anyone know where there's a naccessible picture with dimensions please?

It's the same size as the 15/60. I seem to recall it had it's own site as
well.

mike

mike ring

"Mike" wrote in
:

Anyone know where there's a naccessible picture with dimensions
please?

It's the same size as the 15/60. I seem to recall it had it's own
site as well.

The body may be, but I'm worried about the bolted on control unit

mike

On 1 Jun 2005 09:57:14 GMT, mike ring
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in
:

Anyone know where there's a naccessible picture with dimensions
please?

It's the same size as the 15/60. I seem to recall it had it's own
site as well.

The body may be, but I'm worried about the bolted on control unit

mike

http://www.grundfos-www.com/alpha/frames_html.htm

The picture makes it look bigger than it is !
royall at which net

Mike

"mike ring" wrote in message
. 1.4...
"Mike" wrote in
:

Anyone know where there's a naccessible picture with dimensions
please?

It's the same size as the 15/60. I seem to recall it had it's own
site as well.

The body may be, but I'm worried about the bolted on control unit

I've just compared my Alpha with a Danfoss pump. To all intents and
purposes they protrude the same amount - I doubt if you could make the three
way switch on a standard pump much smaller anyway so I expect the 15/60 is
the same as well.

Central Heating Problem Bob UK diy 15 May 20th 05 10:55 AM
Central Heating pump K. Sloan UK diy 3 December 22nd 04 10:37 PM
More central heating advice sought Martin Westerman UK diy 4 December 1st 04 07:51 PM
No central heating - HW only threewayvalve and tank therm John UK diy 7 September 29th 03 09:18 AM
Central Heating Pump john UK diy 3 July 4th 03 08:57 PM