Posted to uk.d-i-y
rrh rrh is offline

Default Wireless door bells: any recommendations?

My hearing is not great at higher frequencies and I simply can't hear our
doorbell when I am using the whirring computer, even though it's only about
1.5 metres away from my head (through a timber floor, admittedly). Ideal
would be a set with at least two sounders for the house (one for upstairs
and one for downstairs) plus a portable one for use in the back garden.
Friedland seem to dominate the market but Byron kit may be easier to source
and configure flexibly. Any recommendations? Range and reliability more
important than price.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 16:44:33 -0000, "rrh" wrote:

My hearing is not great at higher frequencies and I simply can't hear our
doorbell when I am using the whirring computer, even though it's only about
1.5 metres away from my head (through a timber floor, admittedly). Ideal
would be a set with at least two sounders for the house (one for upstairs
and one for downstairs) plus a portable one for use in the back garden.
Friedland seem to dominate the market but Byron kit may be easier to source
and configure flexibly. Any recommendations? Range and reliability more
important than price.

What do deaf folk use? Can you get doorbells that flash lights in the
house ? Or get a smaller wireless receiver unit that you can clip on
to your belt .
Posted to uk.d-i-y
rrh rrh is offline

What do deaf folk use? Can you get doorbells that flash lights in the
house ? Or get a smaller wireless receiver unit that you can clip on
to your belt .

Yes these exist but clearly are only of use if you can see them. I am not
deaf (yet) and would prefer something audible around the various rooms of
the house. Could do a clip-on or garden portable unit but will inevitably
forget to lug it around with me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 17:02:25 -0000, rrh wrote:

Yes these exist but clearly are only of use if you can see them.

I sometimes use a wireless doorbell on location to attract the attention
of the mixer. It has an electronic bong and xenon flash light that fires
several times. The mixer doesn't miss it and being a quite a bright flash
he doesn't have to be looking at it either. Bought from homebase, think it
might be friendland one.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"rrh" wrote in message
My hearing is not great at higher frequencies and I simply can't hear our
doorbell when I am using the whirring computer, even though it's only

about
1.5 metres away from my head (through a timber floor, admittedly). Ideal
would be a set with at least two sounders for the house (one for upstairs
and one for downstairs) plus a portable one for use in the back garden.
Friedland seem to dominate the market but Byron kit may be easier to

source
and configure flexibly. Any recommendations? Range and reliability more
important than price.

Depends on your bell voltage, but an extension buzzer that hammers the
skirting board might be better for you. The whole house will hear it. But
you need to find out what voltage your existing bell works at. Then choose
a buzzer that suits the same voltage. Like this.

http://www.fleetelectrical.co.uk/feavhs3612-38-p.asp They aren't big bulky
box things, so fit nicely on the skirting board and vibrate your house. :-)

Or an actual bell with hammer action and dome. Like this.

http://www.footprints-science.co.uk/electricbell.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
rrh rrh is offline

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"rrh" wrote in message
[...]

:-)

Or an actual bell with hammer action and dome. Like this.

http://www.footprints-science.co.uk/electricbell.htm

Good thought, thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Dec, 17:03, "rrh" wrote:
"BigWallop" wrote in message

"rrh" wrote in message
[...]

Have a look at the Byron SX15 (if it still exists !) It's a wireless
transmitter from the front door but the sounder is not one of these
silly electronic ding-dong things but a good old fashioned BELL driven
by a couple of D size cells - I didn't put a date on ours when we got
it but I it must be at least 5 years old and the cells are still going
strong.

The noise cuts through most distractions and is helped by the fact
that it keeps on going as long as the 'ding dong' chimes - this
confuses some visitors but does ensure that the door gets answered!.

It does still exist - http://www.ryness.co.uk/ProductDetai... category4ID=1

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
rrh wrote:
My hearing is not great at higher frequencies and I simply can't hear
our doorbell when I am using the whirring computer, even though it's
only about 1.5 metres away from my head (through a timber floor,
admittedly). Ideal would be a set with at least two sounders for the
house (one for upstairs and one for downstairs) plus a portable one for
use in the back garden. Friedland seem to dominate the market but Byron
kit may be easier to source and configure flexibly. Any
recommendations? Range and reliability more important than price.

I've not come across any wireless unit that is as loud as a standard
underdome bell. Of course multiple units sited closer will help but you
might need a ratio of three to one over a good basic bell.
And the trouble with portable ones is remembering to carry it with you. I
couldn't be bothered - I don't even carry my phone around when indoors.

--
*Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 23:33:17 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
rrh wrote:
[...]

It'd be useful if you could get a wireless 'doorbell' which simply
operates a relay, so that you could trigger any sort of device/s you
like.
I use wireless devices as a last resort; they are never as reliable
as hard-wired things, especially in an urban environment - you usually
have to consider periodic (frequent!) replacement of batteries too.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Frank Erskine wrote:
It'd be useful if you could get a wireless 'doorbell' which simply
operates a relay, so that you could trigger any sort of device/s you
like. I use wireless devices as a last resort; they are never as
reliable as hard-wired things, especially in an urban environment - you
usually have to consider periodic (frequent!) replacement of batteries
too.

Vellerman do a kit which could be easily adapted to what you want. The
transmitter is in a key fob with a push button - easy to build inside a
door push - and the receiver has a relay.

--
*Why isn't 11 pronounced onety one? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
rrh wrote:
[...]

Talking of cordless phones. We have those pack of three cordless digital
things, with the handsets spread out through the house. It must be our age
here, but I watched the missus answer a call from the hall phone. Because
there was noise going on in the flat when she answered, instead of just
walking off into another room to continue her conversation in the quiet, she
put down the phone in the hall and went to the bedroom handset like it was
still our old hard wired extensions.

It's a thing that comes to us all. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 00:48:29 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

Talking of cordless phones. We have those pack of three cordless digital
things, with the handsets spread out through the house. It must be our age
here, but I watched the missus answer a call from the hall phone.

Good grief - a hall phone. How quaint!

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Talking of cordless phones. We have those pack of three cordless digital
things, with the handsets spread out through the house. It must be our age
here, but I watched the missus answer a call from the hall phone.

Good grief - a hall phone. How quaint!

Sitting on it's own little half-moon table :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Talking of cordless phones. We have those pack of three cordless

digital
things, with the handsets spread out through the house. It must be our

age
here, but I watched the missus answer a call from the hall phone.

Good grief - a hall phone. How quaint!

Sitting on it's own little half-moon table :-)

Hey Hey Hey !!!! We're not that bloody old. :-) The phone is on a chest
of drawers which hold the crown jewels. I was told to get them up of the
floor and hidden, in case we get guests round for tea. My spanners and
hammers and screwdrivers lying on the floor, were not what we got married
for. I always thought is was because of the oldest daughter, but I was
wrong. It seems it was love that made us wed. :-))

Wireless door open warning chudford UK diy 11 November 9th 08 04:44 PM
Friedland wireless door bell doesn't work - wrong battery? [email protected] UK diy 4 March 3rd 06 10:07 AM
wireless door bells Bhoy UK diy 13 January 4th 06 04:07 PM
wireless burglar alarms-recommendations? tarquinlinbin UK diy 4 July 22nd 05 11:31 PM
Wireless Door Bells John UK diy 4 November 7th 04 11:33 PM