Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wireless door open warning

Some scrot stole my 2 drills after I accidently left the remote
controlled garage door open.

Has anyone got an idea how I could make a wireless door open warning
device connected to a lamp in the house? Preferably using ready made
modules.

Does any company make such a device?

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
"chudford" wrote in message
Some scrot stole my 2 drills after I accidently left the remote
controlled garage door open.

Has anyone got an idea how I could make a wireless door open warning
device connected to a lamp in the house? Preferably using ready made
modules.

Does any company make such a device?

Thanks.

Magnetic proximity reed switch like used on door and
window alarms.
These switches close when the magnet is near (door closed) so
you need a relay to bring the light on when the door is open.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 8, 5:16*pm, "Graham." wrote:
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%"chudford" wrote in message

... Some scrot stole my 2 drills after I accidently left the remote
controlled garage door open.

Has anyone got an idea how I could make a wireless door open warning
device connected to a lamp in the house? *Preferably using ready made
modules.

Does any company make such a device?

Thanks.

Magnetic proximity reed switch like used on door and
window alarms.
These switches close when the magnet is near (door closed) so
you need a relay to bring the light on when the door is open.

Thanks for that, but I also need a wireless link from the door to the
house as the garage is detached.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
chudford writes:
On Nov 8, 5:16*pm, "Graham." wrote:
Magnetic proximity reed switch like used on door and
window alarms.
These switches close when the magnet is near (door closed) so
you need a relay to bring the light on when the door is open.

Thanks for that, but I also need a wireless link from the door to the
house as the garage is detached.

Presumably there's a power link, at least for the door.
I think you can get X10 door contacts which will signal
back across mains and possibly RF versions too. This
could be used to operate an X10 switched light in the
house. You could do the same with a motion detector in
the garage, which would add a bit more detection over
just the magnetic contents.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"chudford" wrote in message
On Nov 8, 5:16 pm, "Graham." wrote:
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%"chudford" wrote in
message

Some scrot stole my 2 drills after I accidently left the remote
controlled garage door open.

Has anyone got an idea how I could make a wireless door open warning
device connected to a lamp in the house? Preferably using ready made
modules.

Does any company make such a device?

Thanks.

Magnetic proximity reed switch like used on door and
window alarms.
These switches close when the magnet is near (door closed) so
you need a relay to bring the light on when the door is open.

Thanks for that, but I also need a wireless link from the door to the
house as the garage is detached.

Adapt a wireless doorbell. Use a similar circuit to that suggested,
have a magnetic contact on the door and have it hooked up to a
relay. Connect the bell push to the common and normally closed
contact. When there is power through the magnetic contact due
to the door being closed, this will energise the relay and pull the
normally closed contact away. When the contact opens your
power to the relay will be lost, the relay will flick back and join
the two terminals of the doorbell. It's a cheap and easy solution
using inexpensive products. For the small circuit with the relay and
megnetic contact you can use a small mains adaptor.
This will not ensure you have secured the garage, but will warn
when the door is open.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"chudford" wrote in message
Some scrot stole my 2 drills after I accidently left the remote
controlled garage door open.

Has anyone got an idea how I could make a wireless door open warning
device connected to a lamp in the house? Preferably using ready made
modules.

Could you not use the same type of module as used to operate the door but
wired to relay that works the lamp, instead of to the door opening
mechanism? That way, whenever you operate the door, you also switch the
lamp. Of course, to allow for lamp failure, you ought to have it toggle
between two lamps - one for door open and one for door closed.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"chudford" wrote in message
Some scrot stole my 2 drills after I accidently left the remote
controlled garage door open.

Has anyone got an idea how I could make a wireless door open warning
device connected to a lamp in the house? Preferably using ready made
modules.

Does any company make such a device?

Thanks.

Something like these http://www.easylinkuk.co.uk/page50.html you mean?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 8, 6:04*pm, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * chudford writes:

On Nov 8, 5:16*pm, "Graham." wrote:
Magnetic proximity reed switch like used on door and
window alarms.
These switches close when the magnet is near (door closed) so
you need a relay to bring the light on when the door is open.

Thanks for that, but I also need a wireless link from the door to the
house as the garage is detached.

Presumably there's a power link, at least for the door.
I think you can get X10 door contacts which will signal
back across mains and possibly RF versions too. This
could be used to operate an X10 switched light in the
house. You could do the same with a motion detector in
the garage, which would add a bit more detection over
just the magnetic contents.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks for the X10 idea. I have found just what I am looking for, its
called a Garage Door Indicator.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"chudford" wrote in message
Some scrot stole my 2 drills after I accidently left the remote
controlled garage door open.

Has anyone got an idea how I could make a wireless door open warning
device connected to a lamp in the house? Preferably using ready made
modules.

You connect it to the alarm.
If its open when you set the alarm it flashes its little zone light.

..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

* * * * chudford writes:

On Nov 8, 5:16*pm, "Graham." wrote:
Magnetic proximity reed switch like used on door and
window alarms.
These switches close when the magnet is near (door closed) so
you need a relay to bring the light on when the door is open.
Thanks for that, but I also need a wireless link from the door to the
house as the garage is detached.

Presumably there's a power link, at least for the door.
I think you can get X10 door contacts which will signal
back across mains and possibly RF versions too. This
could be used to operate an X10 switched light in the
house. You could do the same with a motion detector in
the garage, which would add a bit more detection over
just the magnetic contents.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks for the X10 idea. *I have found just what I am looking for, its
called a Garage Door Indicator.- Hide quoted text -

I use x10, x10 can often be turned on by built in 3 button garage door
openers, have remote keychains, remote control, when I pull in the
garage the x10 motion light turns on outside and inside lights one
sensor triggers 3 more, its a system you can expand on even to operate
by computer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
oh oh is offline

BigWallop wrote:
"chudford" wrote in message
Some scrot stole my 2 drills after I accidently left the remote
controlled garage door open.

[...]

Something like these http://www.easylinkuk.co.uk/page50.html you mean?

You're saying chudford needs Alzheimers dementia care ;-) ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"oh" wrote in message
news
BigWallop wrote:
"chudford" wrote in message

Some scrot stole my 2 drills after I accidently left the remote
controlled garage door open.

[...]

Something like these http://www.easylinkuk.co.uk/page50.html you mean?

You're saying chudford needs Alzheimers dementia care ;-) ?

He does forget the garage door is open. :-)

(sorry, must resist these urges. I must resist these urges. I only drink
to make the voices go away.)

door frames (reversing to open door other way) nospam[_2_] UK diy 1 October 3rd 07 01:06 PM
warning about lever handle style door locks PipeDown Home Repair 9 January 4th 06 08:53 PM
wireless door bells Bhoy UK diy 13 January 4th 06 04:07 PM
How to open this door? Dantanna Home Ownership 1 January 8th 05 09:07 PM
Wireless Door Bells John UK diy 4 November 7th 04 11:33 PM