Posted to uk.d-i-y
Appollo Appollo is offline

Default Wireless door open warning

"chudford" wrote in message
On Nov 8, 5:16 pm, "Graham." wrote:
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%"chudford" wrote in
message

Some scrot stole my 2 drills after I accidently left the remote
controlled garage door open.

Has anyone got an idea how I could make a wireless door open warning
device connected to a lamp in the house? Preferably using ready made
modules.

Does any company make such a device?

Thanks.

Magnetic proximity reed switch like used on door and
window alarms.
These switches close when the magnet is near (door closed) so
you need a relay to bring the light on when the door is open.

Thanks for that, but I also need a wireless link from the door to the
house as the garage is detached.

Adapt a wireless doorbell. Use a similar circuit to that suggested,
have a magnetic contact on the door and have it hooked up to a
relay. Connect the bell push to the common and normally closed
contact. When there is power through the magnetic contact due
to the door being closed, this will energise the relay and pull the
normally closed contact away. When the contact opens your
power to the relay will be lost, the relay will flick back and join
the two terminals of the doorbell. It's a cheap and easy solution
using inexpensive products. For the small circuit with the relay and
megnetic contact you can use a small mains adaptor.
This will not ensure you have secured the garage, but will warn
when the door is open.