Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Do any of the sheds still stock Spur shelving brackets?

Last time I needed a few brackets for Spur double-slot shelving I found them a bit thin on the
ground in the big DIY places - anyone know which, if any, of the big sheds still stock them?
I know there are some on ebay but only need a couple so ship cost is a bit high.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 11:11:23 +0000, Mike Harrison
wrote:

Last time I needed a few brackets for Spur double-slot shelving I found them a bit thin on the
ground in the big DIY places - anyone know which, if any, of the big sheds still stock them?
I know there are some on ebay but only need a couple so ship cost is a bit high.

Apparently Spur themselves (I almost typed 'themshelves'!) went out of
business some time ago (or at least stopped doing shelving) - several
other manufacturers are doing replicas, so shop about.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Last time I needed a few brackets for Spur double-slot shelving I found

them a bit thin on the
ground in the big DIY places - anyone know which, if any, of the big

sheds still stock them?
I know there are some on ebay but only need a couple so ship cost is a

bit high.

Wickes do an equivalent, as do Screwfix at a slightly cheaper price if you
can get up to minimum order. Compatibility with real Spur is one way only
due to the uprights being a bit shallower in depth - so new shelf brackets
work with Spur uprights, but real Spur brackets bind in new uprights. This
applies to Wickes and Screwfix - don't know if anyone else is making a
closer duplicate to old Spur uprights. None of it is quite as good as older
real Spur - which started life as a shop fittings system - but a lot better
than alu systems

Charles F

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Mike Harrison wrote:
Last time I needed a few brackets for Spur double-slot shelving I found them a bit thin on the
ground in the big DIY places - anyone know which, if any, of the big sheds still stock them?
I know there are some on ebay but only need a couple so ship cost is a bit high.

1 What size do you need?

2 How many do you need?

3 Do they need to be in perfect condition?

Let us know, I have a few in the garage that have no obvious future.
They are all at least a little imperfect - dabs of paint, scratches,
maybe worse - but eminently possible to refurb. Could let you have for
cost of p&p.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

CJF wrote:

Wickes do an equivalent, as do Screwfix at a slightly cheaper price if you
can get up to minimum order. Compatibility with real Spur is one way only
due to the uprights being a bit shallower in depth - so new shelf brackets
work with Spur uprights, but real Spur brackets bind in new uprights. This

Can be fixed with a quick lick with a file/angle/bench grinder IME (or
failing that, on a plasterboard wall - a tap with a hammer!)

applies to Wickes and Screwfix - don't know if anyone else is making a
closer duplicate to old Spur uprights. None of it is quite as good as older
real Spur - which started life as a shop fittings system - but a lot better
than alu systems

These folks are quite reasonable as well:

http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/in...h&SortbyName=1

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Harrison wrote:
Last time I needed a few brackets for Spur double-slot shelving I found
them a bit thin on the ground in the big DIY places - anyone know which,
if any, of the big sheds still stock them?

Last time I looked both B&Q and Homebase. One pain is the colours seem to
change weekly. ;-)

--
*Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.