Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Do the sheds stock Cascamite?

Hi all,

Cascamite has been suggested as a good adhesive for gluing two blocks
of craft foam together but before I wasted my time traipsing up and
down isles I thought I'd ask here if the sheds stocked same?

I think the last time I used it was when I built a 6' rowing dinghy
when I was at school!

All the best and thanks for your time ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Cascamite has been suggested as a good adhesive for gluing two blocks
of craft foam together but before I wasted my time traipsing up and
down isles I thought I'd ask here if the sheds stocked same?

I'd not think it that good as it's inflexible. I'd try Evostick Serious
glue.

--
*Vegetarians taste great*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
Hi all,

Cascamite has been suggested as a good adhesive for gluing two blocks
of craft foam together but before I wasted my time traipsing up and
down isles I thought I'd ask here if the sheds stocked same?

I think the last time I used it was when I built a 6' rowing dinghy
when I was at school!

All the best and thanks for your time ..

Name changed to Extramite for some reason, readily available.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 12:03:11 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Cascamite has been suggested as a good adhesive for gluing two blocks
of craft foam together but before I wasted my time traipsing up and
down isles I thought I'd ask here if the sheds stocked same?

I'd not think it that good as it's inflexible. I'd try Evostick Serious
glue.

Ah, ok. I may have misled you there Dave. This foam is the rigid
stuff, like expended polystyrene but finer? (daughter has to glue a
couple of sheets of it together to make a thicker block to then turn /
carve into shape.

Would 'serious glue' still be ok for that (didn't know if it was
solvent based and may eat that type of foam)?

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 12:45:21 -0000, "Scabbydug"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .
Hi all,

Cascamite has been suggested as a good adhesive for gluing two blocks
of craft foam together but before I wasted my time traipsing up and
down isles I thought I'd ask here if the sheds stocked same?

I think the last time I used it was when I built a 6' rowing dinghy
when I was at school!

All the best and thanks for your time ..

Name changed to Extramite for some reason, readily available.

Ah, I spotted some of that on a Google search but wasn't sure it was
the *same* stuff (like the difference between a generic
'No-more-nails' and green Gripfill) ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
Hi all,

Cascamite has been suggested as a good adhesive for gluing two blocks
of craft foam together but before I wasted my time traipsing up and
down isles I thought I'd ask here if the sheds stocked same?

I think the last time I used it was when I built a 6' rowing dinghy
when I was at school!

All the best and thanks for your time ..

Name changed to Extramite for some reason, readily available.

Ah, I spotted some of that on a Google search but wasn't sure it was
the *same* stuff (like the difference between a generic
'No-more-nails' and green Gripfill) ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

I wouldn't use cascamite.

Or any other hard setting gap filling type glue.

No more nails or just PVA is the better sort of air dry glue.

Not sure whether I have some, but a water based contact adhesive may be
best.

Mmm...I'll see and report back.

Right. I picked some up a few years back..Dunlop Thixofix ECO. Its a
solvent free contact adhesive.

I've spread some on some white foam to see if it sticks OK.

I'll report back shortly when it dries ... and I whack the two bits
together.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 1, 12:45 pm, "Scabbydug" wrote:
"T i m" wrote in messagenews:1vedu2p22ik2lrc55ssouulh3ma9lt46ss@4ax .com...

Hi all,

Cascamite has been suggested as a good adhesive for gluing two blocks
of craft foam together but before I wasted my time traipsing up and
down isles I thought I'd ask here if the sheds stocked same?

I think the last time I used it was when I built a 6' rowing dinghy
when I was at school!

All the best and thanks for your time ..

Name changed to Extramite for some reason, readily available.

Still available as Cascamite though.

This will probably change since Humbrol went tits-up and I doubt
Hornby will be selling Cascamite/Extramite or whatever it's called.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
[...]

Right. It took ages to dry to tacky, BUT it's made a fantastic joint..

Eminently sand-able.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 12:03:11 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Cascamite has been suggested as a good adhesive for gluing two blocks
of craft foam together but before I wasted my time traipsing up and
down isles I thought I'd ask here if the sheds stocked same?

I'd not think it that good as it's inflexible. I'd try Evostick Serious
glue.

Ah, ok. I may have misled you there Dave. This foam is the rigid
stuff, like expended polystyrene but finer? (daughter has to glue a
couple of sheets of it together to make a thicker block to then turn /
carve into shape.

Ah - right.

Would 'serious glue' still be ok for that (didn't know if it was
solvent based and may eat that type of foam)?

It doesn't appear to eat into things in the same way as Evostick Impact,
so I'd guess any solvent is less aggressive. But like all these things
unless you're certain what the material is and what glues it best to do a
test.

All the best ..

T i m

--
*Frankly, scallop, I don't give a clam

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 12:03:11 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Cascamite has been suggested as a good adhesive for gluing two blocks
of craft foam together but before I wasted my time traipsing up and
down isles I thought I'd ask here if the sheds stocked same?
I'd not think it that good as it's inflexible. I'd try Evostick Serious
glue.

Ah, ok. I may have misled you there Dave. This foam is the rigid
stuff, like expended polystyrene but finer? (daughter has to glue a
couple of sheets of it together to make a thicker block to then turn /
carve into shape.

Ah - right.

typically blue foam as used under concrete floors. Its extruded into
flat sheets, and has a higher density and better surface finish than white.

Would 'serious glue' still be ok for that (didn't know if it was
solvent based and may eat that type of foam)?

It doesn't appear to eat into things in the same way as Evostick Impact,
so I'd guess any solvent is less aggressive. But like all these things
unless you're certain what the material is and what glues it best to do a
test.

the only solvents I have found that DON'T attack polystyrene are
alcohols. And straight hydrocarbons like petrol and diesel. Any of the
more usual solvents kill it stone dead. Acetone, cellulose thinners, etc.

Hence m advice to use a water based contact. Water based air dry stuff
works, but takes forever to set off due to the impermeability.

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
Hi all,

Cascamite has been suggested as a good adhesive for gluing two blocks
of craft foam together but before I wasted my time traipsing up and
down isles I thought I'd ask here if the sheds stocked same?

I think the last time I used it was when I built a 6' rowing dinghy
when I was at school!

All the best and thanks for your time ..

T i m

Axminster sell it, not sure if it's right though
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-H...Glue-21688.htm

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 15:00:52 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Mmm...I'll see and report back.

Right. I picked some up a few years back..Dunlop Thixofix ECO. Its a
solvent free contact adhesive.

I've spread some on some white foam to see if it sticks OK.

I'll report back shortly when it dries ... and I whack the two bits
together.

Right. It took ages to dry to tacky, BUT it's made a fantastic joint..

Eminently sand-able.

Brilliant, thanks for the field report ;-)

Same question then, is it currently available in the sheds?

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Mmm...I'll see and report back.

Right. I picked some up a few years back..Dunlop Thixofix ECO. Its a
solvent free contact adhesive.

I've spread some on some white foam to see if it sticks OK.

I'll report back shortly when it dries ... and I whack the two bits
together.

Right. It took ages to dry to tacky, BUT it's made a fantastic joint..

Eminently sand-able.

Brilliant, thanks for the field report ;-)

Same question then, is it currently available in the sheds?

All the best ..

T i m

No idea..copydex is another similar one.

The things you see in the sheds... Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 14 February 8th 07 06:26 PM
Online Stock Trading and How the Stock Market Works clean UK diy 0 June 9th 06 12:58 AM
Online Stock Trading and How the Stock Market Works clean Home Repair 0 June 9th 06 12:54 AM
[OT] Sheds from space Vortex UK diy 28 July 21st 05 11:06 PM
Sheds? Badger UK diy 12 January 5th 05 04:11 PM