Percival P. Cassidy

Default Spur/Rubbermaid shelving

Several years ago we bought a lot of almond-colored "Spur" brand
(UK-made) steel adjustable shelf fittings at Home Depot. A year or two
back when we wanted more, we found that the company had in the meantime
been acquired by Rubbermaid and that what was now sold as "almond" was a
somewhat different color, but we bought more and put up with the color
difference -- and with the greater depth of the uprights (i.e., they
stick out from the wall further than the originals). (Also many of the
specialized accessory fasteners were no longer available.)

Now I have tried to buy more (even with the different depth and color),
only to find that HD now has only black, white and silver and that the
uprights vary in depth: some lengths are deeper than others. They have
Rubbermaid stickers (showing them to be made in Canada), but there is no
trace of these on the Rubbermaid Web site to see whether HD simply
doesn't stock other colors or whether Rubbermaid has quit making them.

Does anybody have any idea whether this stuff is still available in
almond (either the original or the new color) and where? Or did
Rubbermaid buy them up simply to take them off the market?

Perce
nospambob

Know your pain well, BTDT with HD. As woodworking hobbyist I was
making a chest of drawers and bought required Accuride drawer slides
at HD then change of design needed 2 more drawer slides but HD changed
the offerings and Accuride was no longer available. Last time I
bought drawer slides or much of any other hardware at HD for me. LOTS
of on-line sources for quality hardware and shipping is much worth the
price to get what YOU want instead of what the MBAs decide you want!

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 16:13:28 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

[...]

Percival P. Cassidy

But in this case I'm not so sure that it is HD's fault. Even if I Google
the part numbers that are printed on the Rubbermaid labels on a variety
of the white fittings that HD does stock, I get only one hit -- from an
on-line supplier of "storage solutions" (and they don't sell the other
colors) -- so perhaps Rubbermaid simply discontinued this whole line.
Even searching Rubbermaid's own site for these part numbers is fruitless.

Perce

On 07/21/05 11:05 am nospambob tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Wire shelving fell floax Home Repair 5 June 13th 05 04:26 PM
Display Shelving [email protected] Woodturning 3 April 28th 05 04:15 AM
Screw size needed for contiboard shelving? anon UK diy 11 August 20th 04 09:14 AM
IVAR shelving - help! lloer UK diy 9 November 3rd 03 10:46 PM
Shelving and fixings -polyester resin? Ashley UK diy 9 October 24th 03 11:31 PM