Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Quality at Lidl and Aldi

Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is lower
than at traditional British stores?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Martin wrote:
Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is lower
than at traditional British stores?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece

type that again???

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Kevin wrote:
Bob Martin wrote:
Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is
lower
than at traditional British stores?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece

type that again???

Works for me!

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 12:12:51 +0000, Kevin
wrote:

Bob Martin wrote:
Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is lower
than at traditional British stores?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece

type that again???

Not sure what *you*thought but I was thinking the OP was posting an
article quoting people saying Aldi and Lidl's quality was low . Lack
of any quotes from the article doesn't help either.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 12:29:13 +0000, Rod
wrote:

Kevin wrote:
Bob Martin wrote:
Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is
lower
than at traditional British stores?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece

type that again???

Works for me!

I'm not sure that's what he meant by "type that again"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Martin wrote:
Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is lower
than at traditional British stores?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece

I have to admit that I prefer the local Lidl for locally sourced veg,
and German sausages (which I prefer to the majority of UK sourced
processed food). Oh, and cans of tomatoes, tomato puree, and fruit juices.

Most of the rest of our shopping is done elsewhere, where we find brands
that we prefer, but for certain basics, the price and quality of Lidl is
hard to beat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Kevin wrote:
Bob Martin wrote:
Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is
lower
than at traditional British stores?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece

type that again???

Works for me!

the link works
it was the "Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and
Aldi is lower than at traditional British stores"
I am not sure what he was trying to get at as Lidl and Aldi have higher
quality products throughout the report
as the report said
"In many cases the German-owned discount chains also have higher-quality
food than the bigger chains."
"Sainsbury’s own brand marmalade, for example, costs 75p and has 26g
fruit per 100g. At Lidl, however, the orange marmalade has 5% more fruit
and costs 55p."

--
Kevin R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Bob Martin wrote:
Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is lower
than at traditional British stores?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece

type that again???

Not sure what *you*thought but I was thinking the OP was posting an
article quoting people saying Aldi and Lidl's quality was low . Lack
of any quotes from the article doesn't help either.

which is the way I read it, but the report says otherwise Lidl and Aldi
have higher meat and fruit content and it was knocking Tesco's for
selling poor products

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

as the report said
"In many cases the German-owned discount chains also have higher-quality
food than the bigger chains."

" Don't mention the war, I did, but I think I got away with it ......."
Basil Fawlty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Martin gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is
lower than at traditional British stores?

sticks hand up
The few times I've been in Lidl & Aldi, I've been utterly unimpressed -
to the point of leaving without actually buying anything.

Pointing to the **** that Tesco ("Value") and Sainsbury's (whatever their
pikey-stripy equivalent is) call food as justification for claiming Lidl
& Aldi aren't crap is just pathetic.

Of course there's other stuff that's even crapper. Hell, there's almost
certainly crap that's even crapper than Tesco "Value" "food"...

Doesn't make "slightly less crap than Tesco "value"" a recommendation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Dodd wrote:
Bob Martin wrote:
Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is
lower
than at traditional British stores?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece

The main Lidlphobe on here has recently passed away. His views on
quality and longevity seem sadly misplaced in retrospect.

On the food front it's pretty obvious you have to pick and choose where
you shop for what. My other half is very picky, yet our (sorry, her)
grocery shop is at least 50% Lidls.

As an aside, a mate of mine popped into his local baker near Hampstead
tube for a loaf of bread. We had just left the pub so not thinking
straight. Four bloody quid!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
Bob Martin gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is
lower than at traditional British stores?

sticks hand up
The few times I've been in Lidl & Aldi, I've been utterly unimpressed -
to the point of leaving without actually buying anything.

Pointing to the **** that Tesco ("Value") and Sainsbury's (whatever their
pikey-stripy equivalent is) call food as justification for claiming Lidl
& Aldi aren't crap is just pathetic.

Of course there's other stuff that's even crapper. Hell, there's almost
certainly crap that's even crapper than Tesco "Value" "food"...

Doesn't make "slightly less crap than Tesco "value"" a recommendation.

Depends what you're buying. Is there any difference between value
porridge and hand reared, organic, taste the difference porridge?

Processed food is a minefield. I'd rather just fry a piece of steak and
be done with it. Quickest meal I can think of.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , stuart noble
wrote
Mike Dodd wrote:
Bob Martin wrote:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece

The main Lidlphobe on here has recently passed
away. His views on quality and longevity seem sadly misplaced in
retrospect.

On the food front it's pretty obvious you have to pick and choose where
you shop for what. My other half is very picky, yet our (sorry, her)
grocery shop is at least 50% Lidls.

Aldi is an upmarket Lidl 50% of the food in this household comes
from Adli. As you say, you have to be very picky and not everything in
the discount stores is worth buying, but nor is everything in somewhere
like Tesco/Sainsbury.

As an aside, a mate of mine popped into his local baker near Hampstead
tube for a loaf of bread. We had just left the pub so not thinking
straight. Four bloody quid!

As of a recent discussion on here, not everyone can afford to pay £25+
for a litre of Olive Oil, and even more for the 'floor sweepings' stuff
that is adulterated with herbs and chillies. Top quality Virgin Olive
oil is on sale for £3/ litre in Aldi.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Kevin wrote:
Rod wrote:
Kevin wrote:
Bob Martin wrote:
Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is
lower
than at traditional British stores?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece
type that again???

Works for me!

the link works
it was the "Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and
Aldi is lower than at traditional British stores"
I am not sure what he was trying to get at as Lidl and Aldi have higher
quality products throughout the report
as the report said
"In many cases the German-owned discount chains also have higher-quality
food than the bigger chains."
"Sainsbury’s own brand marmalade, for example, costs 75p and has 26g
fruit per 100g. At Lidl, however, the orange marmalade has 5% more fruit
and costs 55p."

Right - OK. Understood, must think more before posting.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Martin" wrote in message
om...

Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is lower
than at traditional British stores?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece

Me!

I have never bought a (food) item in a UK branch of Aldi that didn't end up
in the bin because it was crap. I don't go in there anymore.

OTOH I shopped in German Aldi with no complaints

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Kevin" wrote in message
Rod wrote:
Kevin wrote:
Bob Martin wrote:
Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is
lower
than at traditional British stores?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece
type that again???

Works for me!

the link works
it was the "Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and
Aldi is lower than at traditional British stores"
I am not sure what he was trying to get at as Lidl and Aldi have higher
quality products throughout the report
as the report said
"In many cases the German-owned discount chains also have higher-quality
food than the bigger chains."
"Sainsbury’s own brand marmalade, for example, costs 75p and has 26g fruit
per 100g. At Lidl, however, the orange marmalade has 5% more fruit and
costs 55p."

Sorry

a mathematical quantity of fruit/meat does not directly correlate to
"freshness of produce" or "taste of produce" both of which I rate far higher
than whether the item contains "real" meat or scraps.

IME Aldi produce scores very low on the latter two

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan wrote:
In message , stuart noble
wrote
Mike Dodd wrote:
Bob Martin wrote:
[...]

It occurred to me at the time that the floor must be waist high in
sweepings.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Dodd wrote:
I have to admit that I prefer the local Lidl for locally sourced veg,

I don't buy fresh veg from Lidl anymore. Too much waste. Could be better
in other parts of the country, though. Sainsbury fresh vegetables are
better quality - although I usually buy from the local market.

--
*Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Martin wrote:

Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is lower
than at traditional British stores?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece

He

http://www.oliveoilsource.com/SCRIPT...o=item&p_id=51

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Martin" wrote in message
om...

Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is lower
than at traditional British stores?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece

This is something that those of us that shop at lidl/aldi already know.

They also know that the ASDA cheap stuff is better than the Tesco/Sainsbury
cheap stuff.
In fact its quite often lower in fat than the not so cheap stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , tim.....
writes

I have never bought a (food) item in a UK branch of Aldi that didn't end up
in the bin because it was crap. I don't go in there anymore.

OTOH I shopped in German Aldi with no complaints

*nods*

Same here. I found the quality of stuff in German Aldis and Lidls to be
far higher then in British stores. Mind you, that applies to just about
anything you buy in Germany - they seem to place a very much higher
emphasis on quality (i.e. we Brits get the ****e.)

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 13:40:11 +0000, Alan wrote:

In message , stuart noble
wrote
[12 quoted lines suppressed]

Aldi is an upmarket Lidl

and Lidl is upmarket Netto !

I'm yet to find anything lower than Netto.

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stuart noble" wrote in message
Adrian wrote:
[...]

I cannot speak for that item, but every "value" product that I have ever
bought has been noticeably (sometimes, very) less good than the "normal"
product. OTOH, I couldn't "taste the difference" with the expensive
version.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim..... wrote:
I have never bought a (food) item in a UK branch of Aldi that didn't end
up in the bin because it was crap. I don't go in there anymore.

Strange. They also sell plenty UK brands too.

--
*When I'm not in my right mind, my left mind gets pretty crowded *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DM DM is offline

wrote:

Bob Martin wrote:
Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is lower
than at traditional British stores?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece

type that again???

Not sure what *you*thought but I was thinking the OP was posting an
article quoting people saying Aldi and Lidl's quality was low . Lack
of any quotes from the article doesn't help either.

Strangely enough my interpretation of the OP's post was teh exact
opposite and a quick scan of eth article confimrs that But it could
have bene better put... but Kevins post was an even worse example of
posting without any appreciation for the readers understanding.

cheers

DAvid
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 14:36:22 UTC, Steve
wrote:

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 13:40:11 +0000, Alan wrote:

In message , stuart noble
wrote
[12 quoted lines suppressed]

Aldi is an upmarket Lidl

and Lidl is upmarket Netto !

I'm yet to find anything lower than Netto.

The meat advertised in the back of the Daily Sport? :-))

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Alan wrote:
In message , Steve
wrote
On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 13:40:11 +0000, Alan wrote:

In message , stuart noble
wrote
[12 quoted lines suppressed]

Aldi is an upmarket Lidl

and Lidl is upmarket Netto !

I'm yet to find anything lower than Netto.

Tesco Express?

Them's posh compared with Costcutter. :-)

BTW - Anyone notice that virtually all our supermarket chains have an
'S' in their names - and those that don't usually have a soft-C that
sounds S-like (e.g. Centro) or are part of the Co-op? Exceptions being
the euro-chains - Aldi, Lidl and Netto - and oddities like Filco and Heron.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
tim..... wrote:
I have never bought a (food) item in a UK branch of Aldi that didn't end
up in the bin because it was crap. I don't go in there anymore.

Strange. They also sell plenty UK brands too.

Do you mean "UK Leading Brands"?

I can't say that I've ever seen any. I'll check tomorrow (it's too late
today)!

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tim.....
writes

"Kevin" wrote in message
Rod wrote:
Kevin wrote:
Bob Martin wrote:
[...]

A bit like basing the quality of beer on the quantity of alcohol on it

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Martin" wrote in message
om...

Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is lower
than at traditional British stores?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece

The downside shopping at Lidl is mixing with other customers at the low end
of the food chain.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
Bob Martin wrote:

Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is
lower than at traditional British stores?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece

He

http://www.oliveoilsource.com/SCRIPT...o=item&p_id=51

Well known for 'bashing' Aldi aren't you though Steve - now give us the
information on the 'rubbish' that is sold in *your* favourite store - go on,
I dare you!

As it is, you have picked on one item - and I know for a fact that the
quality of the goods at both Aldi and Lidl on non big-branded stuff far
outstrips those of the major stores in this country - and in fact, is of a
better quality than many branded goods that rely solely on their 'big' names
to sell their sugar filled, over-salted, mechanically recovered rubbish
that's also full of hydrogonated fats.

And Aldi and Lidl are a far better quality, cheaper and gaining customers
because of that - and that's why the major supermarkets are dropping their
prices on many of their products to compete with them.

Unbeliever

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve
writes
On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 13:40:11 +0000, Alan wrote:

In message , stuart noble
wrote
[12 quoted lines suppressed]

Aldi is an upmarket Lidl

and Lidl is upmarket Netto !

I'm yet to find anything lower than Netto.

Some of you lead such exciting lives ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
wrote

A bit like basing the quality of beer on the quantity of alcohol on it

Quality beer has a well known brand name, Greene King, Bud, Kingfisher
etc.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:
I have never bought a (food) item in a UK branch of Aldi that didn't end
up in the bin because it was crap. I don't go in there anymore.

Strange. They also sell plenty UK brands too.

Do you mean "UK Leading Brands"?

I can't say that I've ever seen any. I'll check tomorrow (it's too late
today)!

tim

Pepsi Cola & Coca Cola are both stocked (but still dearer than my Local
Asda by 50p) I think they would class as leading brands

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , tim.....
writes

"Kevin" wrote in message
Rod wrote:
Kevin wrote:
Bob Martin wrote:
[...]

A bit like basing the quality of beer on the quantity of alcohol in it

You mean theres another way?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Steve
writes
On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 13:40:11 +0000, Alan wrote:

In message , stuart noble
wrote
[12 quoted lines suppressed]

Aldi is an upmarket Lidl

and Lidl is upmarket Netto !

I'm yet to find anything lower than Netto.

snake testicles?
Some of you lead such exciting lives ...

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Alan wrote:
In message , Steve
wrote
On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 13:40:11 +0000, Alan wrote:

In message , stuart noble
wrote
[12 quoted lines suppressed]

Aldi is an upmarket Lidl

and Lidl is upmarket Netto !

I'm yet to find anything lower than Netto.

Tesco Express?

Them's posh compared with Costcutter. :-)

BTW - Anyone notice that virtually all our supermarket chains have an
'S' in their names - and those that don't usually have a soft-C that
sounds S-like (e.g. Centro) or are part of the Co-op? Exceptions being
the euro-chains - Aldi, Lidl and Netto - and oddities like Filco and
Heron.

So what are you saying? You can't go shopping if you have a lisp?

:-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , geoff
writes

A bit like basing the quality of beer on the quantity of alcohol on it

Exactly. I'm always surprised by the people I meet, many of whom are
highly educated (doctors and the like), who think the %age of alcohol in
a drink is a measure of its quality.

--
(\__/)

One up for Lidl/Aldi robgraham UK diy 2 December 7th 07 10:55 AM
another 'have you seen aldi/lidl **' post [email protected] UK diy 34 August 27th 05 09:02 PM