Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Quality at Lidl and Aldi

Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is lower
than at traditional British stores?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Martin wrote:
Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is lower
than at traditional British stores?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece

type that again???

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Kevin wrote:
Bob Martin wrote:
Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is
lower
than at traditional British stores?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece

type that again???

Works for me!

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 12:29:13 +0000, Rod
wrote:

Kevin wrote:
Bob Martin wrote:
Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is
lower
than at traditional British stores?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece

type that again???

Works for me!

I'm not sure that's what he meant by "type that again"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Kevin wrote:
Bob Martin wrote:
Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is
lower
than at traditional British stores?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece

type that again???

Works for me!

the link works
it was the "Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and
Aldi is lower than at traditional British stores"
I am not sure what he was trying to get at as Lidl and Aldi have higher
quality products throughout the report
as the report said
"In many cases the German-owned discount chains also have higher-quality
food than the bigger chains."
"Sainsbury’s own brand marmalade, for example, costs 75p and has 26g
fruit per 100g. At Lidl, however, the orange marmalade has 5% more fruit
and costs 55p."

--
Kevin R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

as the report said
"In many cases the German-owned discount chains also have higher-quality
food than the bigger chains."

" Don't mention the war, I did, but I think I got away with it ......."
Basil Fawlty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Kevin wrote:
Rod wrote:
Kevin wrote:
Bob Martin wrote:
Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is
lower
than at traditional British stores?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece
type that again???

Works for me!

the link works
it was the "Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and
Aldi is lower than at traditional British stores"
I am not sure what he was trying to get at as Lidl and Aldi have higher
quality products throughout the report
as the report said
"In many cases the German-owned discount chains also have higher-quality
food than the bigger chains."
"Sainsbury’s own brand marmalade, for example, costs 75p and has 26g
fruit per 100g. At Lidl, however, the orange marmalade has 5% more fruit
and costs 55p."

Right - OK. Understood, must think more before posting.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Kevin" wrote in message
Rod wrote:
Kevin wrote:
Bob Martin wrote:
Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is
lower
than at traditional British stores?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece
type that again???

Works for me!

the link works
it was the "Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and
Aldi is lower than at traditional British stores"
I am not sure what he was trying to get at as Lidl and Aldi have higher
quality products throughout the report
as the report said
"In many cases the German-owned discount chains also have higher-quality
food than the bigger chains."
"Sainsbury’s own brand marmalade, for example, costs 75p and has 26g fruit
per 100g. At Lidl, however, the orange marmalade has 5% more fruit and
costs 55p."

Sorry

a mathematical quantity of fruit/meat does not directly correlate to
"freshness of produce" or "taste of produce" both of which I rate far higher
than whether the item contains "real" meat or scraps.

IME Aldi produce scores very low on the latter two

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tim.....
writes

"Kevin" wrote in message
Rod wrote:
Kevin wrote:
Bob Martin wrote:
[...]

A bit like basing the quality of beer on the quantity of alcohol on it

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 12:37:43 +0000, Kevin
wrote:

Rod wrote:
Kevin wrote:
Bob Martin wrote:
Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is
lower
than at traditional British stores?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece
type that again???

Works for me!

the link works
it was the "Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and
Aldi is lower than at traditional British stores"
I am not sure what he was trying to get at as Lidl and Aldi have higher
quality products throughout the report
as the report said
"In many cases the German-owned discount chains also have higher-quality
food than the bigger chains."
"Sainsbury’s own brand marmalade, for example, costs 75p and has 26g
fruit per 100g. At Lidl, however, the orange marmalade has 5% more fruit
and costs 55p."

I buy at Aldi and Lidl all the time. The quality of ~most~ items is
very high and the prices much cheaper. To have a really good laugh, do
the shopping at Aldi or Lidl, then pop into M&S food halls on the way
home and compare their prices! They are mostly off-the-wall ludicrous.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Rod wrote:
Kevin wrote:
Bob Martin wrote:
[...]

I keep wondering why the Spanish and Greeks continue to grow olives
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 12:12:51 +0000, Kevin
wrote:

Bob Martin wrote:
Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is lower
than at traditional British stores?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece

type that again???

Not sure what *you*thought but I was thinking the OP was posting an
article quoting people saying Aldi and Lidl's quality was low . Lack
of any quotes from the article doesn't help either.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Bob Martin wrote:
Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is lower
than at traditional British stores?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece

type that again???

Not sure what *you*thought but I was thinking the OP was posting an
article quoting people saying Aldi and Lidl's quality was low . Lack
of any quotes from the article doesn't help either.

which is the way I read it, but the report says otherwise Lidl and Aldi
have higher meat and fruit content and it was knocking Tesco's for
selling poor products

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 163538 20081130 132333 soup wrote:
wrote:

Not sure what *you*thought but I was thinking the OP was posting an
article quoting people saying Aldi and Lidl's quality was low . Lack
of any quotes from the article doesn't help either.

I thought the exact opposite. The article was was put forward as
evidence that Aldi and Lidl were of higher quality than "traditional
British stores", this was in direct contradiction of those who say Aldi
and Lidl were of low quality.

Or a "yah boo sucks" to those who say Lidl and Aldi are of low quality.

That was exactly it. Thank you, soup!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DM DM is offline

wrote:

Bob Martin wrote:
Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is lower
than at traditional British stores?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece

type that again???

Not sure what *you*thought but I was thinking the OP was posting an
article quoting people saying Aldi and Lidl's quality was low . Lack
of any quotes from the article doesn't help either.

Strangely enough my interpretation of the OP's post was teh exact
opposite and a quick scan of eth article confimrs that But it could
have bene better put... but Kevins post was an even worse example of
posting without any appreciation for the readers understanding.

cheers

DAvid
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Martin wrote:
Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is lower
than at traditional British stores?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece

I have to admit that I prefer the local Lidl for locally sourced veg,
and German sausages (which I prefer to the majority of UK sourced
processed food). Oh, and cans of tomatoes, tomato puree, and fruit juices.

Most of the rest of our shopping is done elsewhere, where we find brands
that we prefer, but for certain basics, the price and quality of Lidl is
hard to beat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Dodd wrote:
Bob Martin wrote:
Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is
lower
than at traditional British stores?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece

The main Lidlphobe on here has recently passed away. His views on
quality and longevity seem sadly misplaced in retrospect.

On the food front it's pretty obvious you have to pick and choose where
you shop for what. My other half is very picky, yet our (sorry, her)
grocery shop is at least 50% Lidls.

As an aside, a mate of mine popped into his local baker near Hampstead
tube for a loaf of bread. We had just left the pub so not thinking
straight. Four bloody quid!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , stuart noble
wrote
Mike Dodd wrote:
Bob Martin wrote:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece

The main Lidlphobe on here has recently passed
away. His views on quality and longevity seem sadly misplaced in
retrospect.

On the food front it's pretty obvious you have to pick and choose where
you shop for what. My other half is very picky, yet our (sorry, her)
grocery shop is at least 50% Lidls.

Aldi is an upmarket Lidl 50% of the food in this household comes
from Adli. As you say, you have to be very picky and not everything in
the discount stores is worth buying, but nor is everything in somewhere
like Tesco/Sainsbury.

As an aside, a mate of mine popped into his local baker near Hampstead
tube for a loaf of bread. We had just left the pub so not thinking
straight. Four bloody quid!

As of a recent discussion on here, not everyone can afford to pay £25+
for a litre of Olive Oil, and even more for the 'floor sweepings' stuff
that is adulterated with herbs and chillies. Top quality Virgin Olive
oil is on sale for £3/ litre in Aldi.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan wrote:
In message , stuart noble
wrote
Mike Dodd wrote:
Bob Martin wrote:
[...]

It occurred to me at the time that the floor must be waist high in
sweepings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:

It occurred to me at the time that the floor must be waist high in
sweepings.

It occurs to me that De Nile is not just a river in Egypt.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 13:40:11 +0000, Alan wrote:

In message , stuart noble
wrote
[12 quoted lines suppressed]

Aldi is an upmarket Lidl

and Lidl is upmarket Netto !

I'm yet to find anything lower than Netto.

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 14:36:22 UTC, Steve
wrote:

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 13:40:11 +0000, Alan wrote:

In message , stuart noble
wrote
[12 quoted lines suppressed]

Aldi is an upmarket Lidl

and Lidl is upmarket Netto !

I'm yet to find anything lower than Netto.

The meat advertised in the back of the Daily Sport? :-))

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve
writes
On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 13:40:11 +0000, Alan wrote:

In message , stuart noble
wrote
[12 quoted lines suppressed]

Aldi is an upmarket Lidl

and Lidl is upmarket Netto !

I'm yet to find anything lower than Netto.

Some of you lead such exciting lives ...

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

As of a recent discussion on here, not everyone can afford to pay £25+ for
a litre of Olive Oil, and even more for the 'floor sweepings' stuff that
is adulterated with herbs and chillies. Top quality Virgin Olive oil is on
sale for £3/ litre in Aldi.
--

Nothing wrong with Well Shagged olive oil.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan wrote:

Top quality Virgin Olive
oil is on sale for £3/ litre in Aldi.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

What a load of cock. The wholesale price for olive oil is £6.50 per
litre that's for oil sold via the agricultural co-operative and that
represents the lowest possible price only available to those willing to
buy by the tonne.

A typical consumer price is £9.50 per litre at the farm gate. Whatever
you are buying for £3 a litre it isn't Extra-Virgin Olive oil ("Virgin"
is a meaningless designation) and at that price it's unlikely even to be
good quality "refined" olive oil.

And here's a nice thought for you, since the current harvest is only
just in and not ready for consumption yet, the stuff in the shops is
likely to be at least two years old.

That's one reason why it's tasteless and nasty.

The other is that it's likely to be a blend of various oils some of
which have never been near an olive prior to being bottled.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Firth
wrote
Alan wrote:

Top quality Virgin Olive
oil is on sale for £3/ litre in Aldi.

A typical consumer price is £9.50 per litre at the farm gate.

In the current economic climate it will be down to about 50p/litre in
the new year and probably lower when the bumper Californian harvest
arrives on the world market..

Whatever
you are buying for £3 a litre it isn't Extra-Virgin Olive oil ("Virgin"
is a meaningless designation) and at that price it's unlikely even to be
good quality "refined" olive oil.

Correct, it's marketed as Extra-Virgin Olive oil and 'obtained directly
from olives and solely by mechanical means'.

And here's a nice thought for you, since the current harvest is only
just in and not ready for consumption yet, the stuff in the shops is
likely to be at least two years old.

If, as you keep claiming, it has been heat treated and it isn't really
olive oil then it should keep for a couple of years, just the same way
that oil from other supermarkets has a two year life expectancy.

I doubt if more than 1 in 10,000 Aldi customers actually purchases olive
oil as a superior sunflower oil is available for frying reconstituted
chips at a much cheaper price.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
A typical consumer price is £9.50 per litre at the farm gate. Whatever
you are buying for £3 a litre it isn't Extra-Virgin Olive oil ("Virgin"
is a meaningless designation) and at that price it's unlikely even to be
good quality "refined" olive oil.

The "Olive Oil Label Fraud in Discount Supermarkets" - May 2005
http://www.oliveoilsource.com/newsletter/olivenews8-9.htm

I note some of my favourite bottled delicatessen items in ALDI which
previously had things (e.g. mushrooms) immersed in sunflower oil, are
now changing to vegetable.

Big telling question just found in a random google search about
ALDI/LIDL on an Ireland based blog.

"Would you buy condoms from Lidl?"

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .
Alan wrote:

Top quality Virgin Olive
oil is on sale for £3/ litre in Aldi.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

What a load of cock. The wholesale price for olive oil is £6.50 per
litre that's for oil sold via the agricultural co-operative and that
represents the lowest possible price only available to those willing to
buy by the tonne.

A typical consumer price is £9.50 per litre at the farm gate.

Which farm gates in England do you know that sell olive oil?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember stuart noble
saying something like:

On the food front it's pretty obvious you have to pick and choose where
you shop for what. My other half is very picky, yet our (sorry, her)
grocery shop is at least 50% Lidls.

As ever, no store is good at every item. I get a lot of Lidl /Aldi
stuff, and I can say without hesitation that Lidl's own bread is crap,
but they also have Hovis Granary so that's ok.
I've found it best to avoid the cheapest ranges in L/A as the slightly
more expensive choices are much better, but still a fair bit cheaper
than Tesco. For example, the cod and haddock come in plain budget packs
and seem to consist of recycled inner tubes, whereas for a quid more the
premium fish seem to have actually swum at some time.

They change their recipes and suppliers from time to time also, and what
was consistently good for ages can suddenly plummet in quality.
Sometimes it happens the other way too, as I found recently when I
accidentally bought some stirfry dish I'd avoided for a couple of years
as it was bloody awful then - I found to my surprise it was actually
quite edible now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Dodd wrote:
I have to admit that I prefer the local Lidl for locally sourced veg,

I don't buy fresh veg from Lidl anymore. Too much waste. Could be better
in other parts of the country, though. Sainsbury fresh vegetables are
better quality - although I usually buy from the local market.

--
*Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Martin gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is
lower than at traditional British stores?

sticks hand up
The few times I've been in Lidl & Aldi, I've been utterly unimpressed -
to the point of leaving without actually buying anything.

Pointing to the **** that Tesco ("Value") and Sainsbury's (whatever their
pikey-stripy equivalent is) call food as justification for claiming Lidl
& Aldi aren't crap is just pathetic.

Of course there's other stuff that's even crapper. Hell, there's almost
certainly crap that's even crapper than Tesco "Value" "food"...

Doesn't make "slightly less crap than Tesco "value"" a recommendation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
Bob Martin gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is
lower than at traditional British stores?

sticks hand up
The few times I've been in Lidl & Aldi, I've been utterly unimpressed -
to the point of leaving without actually buying anything.

Pointing to the **** that Tesco ("Value") and Sainsbury's (whatever their
pikey-stripy equivalent is) call food as justification for claiming Lidl
& Aldi aren't crap is just pathetic.

Of course there's other stuff that's even crapper. Hell, there's almost
certainly crap that's even crapper than Tesco "Value" "food"...

Doesn't make "slightly less crap than Tesco "value"" a recommendation.

Depends what you're buying. Is there any difference between value
porridge and hand reared, organic, taste the difference porridge?

Processed food is a minefield. I'd rather just fry a piece of steak and
be done with it. Quickest meal I can think of.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stuart noble" wrote in message
Adrian wrote:
[...]

I cannot speak for that item, but every "value" product that I have ever
bought has been noticeably (sometimes, very) less good than the "normal"
product. OTOH, I couldn't "taste the difference" with the expensive
version.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Martin" wrote in message
om...

Where are those people who maintain that quality at Lidl and Aldi is lower
than at traditional British stores?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5258303.ece

Me!

I have never bought a (food) item in a UK branch of Aldi that didn't end up
in the bin because it was crap. I don't go in there anymore.

OTOH I shopped in German Aldi with no complaints

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , tim.....
writes

I have never bought a (food) item in a UK branch of Aldi that didn't end up
in the bin because it was crap. I don't go in there anymore.

OTOH I shopped in German Aldi with no complaints

*nods*

Same here. I found the quality of stuff in German Aldis and Lidls to be
far higher then in British stores. Mind you, that applies to just about
anything you buy in Germany - they seem to place a very much higher
emphasis on quality (i.e. we Brits get the ****e.)

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim..... wrote:
I have never bought a (food) item in a UK branch of Aldi that didn't end
up in the bin because it was crap. I don't go in there anymore.

Strange. They also sell plenty UK brands too.

--
*When I'm not in my right mind, my left mind gets pretty crowded *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
tim..... wrote:
I have never bought a (food) item in a UK branch of Aldi that didn't end
up in the bin because it was crap. I don't go in there anymore.

Strange. They also sell plenty UK brands too.

Do you mean "UK Leading Brands"?

I can't say that I've ever seen any. I'll check tomorrow (it's too late
today)!

tim

One up for Lidl/Aldi robgraham UK diy 2 December 7th 07 10:55 AM
another 'have you seen aldi/lidl **' post [email protected] UK diy 34 August 27th 05 09:02 PM