Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Modern Toilet Cistern Float no longer dropping when flushed

Hi
Our cistern is just a few years old and the working parts are all
white plastic. The float rises and falls on a central column of white
plastic. I presume deposits from hard water are increasing friction.

I have so far just cleaned the column by rubbing my fingers along the
surfaces. But what else can I do lubrication?

--
Dave
http://passiveearners.com/ Passive Income Streams
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 11:27:20 -0800 (PST), zzapper
wrote:

Hi
Our cistern is just a few years old and the working parts are all
white plastic. The float rises and falls on a central column of white
plastic. I presume deposits from hard water are increasing friction.

I have so far just cleaned the column by rubbing my fingers along the
surfaces. But what else can I do lubrication?

Not sure what you mean by " rises and falls on a central column of
white plastic " Floats "pivot" on an attachment so i don't see how
cleaning the column will help.
What happens if you empty the cistern and lift the float ...does it
rise and fall freely when you let go .I'm guessing not by subject line
.. If not then you need to attend to where it pivots as that will be
where the problem lies . It's probably more important that it comes
back up when the water level reaches the float but it should move
freely.

Has the inlet valve been replaced at all?

Does it look like this?
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/55211/...-Torbeck-Valve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

More like a Fluidmaster.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 23:55:57 -0000, "John"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Can't say I had heard of them .What's the advantage of them ? looks
too complicated .I'll settle for the Torbeck one I have .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 23:55:57 -0000, "John"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

The Fluidmaster has a float that surrounds the column:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/420072

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 10:54:19 -0000, "John"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Yeah I looked up to see how they work but what's the advantage of
them?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 10:54:19 -0000, "John"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 23:55:57 -0000, "John"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

[...]

Dunno - It suited the space in the corner of the cistern It claimed to be
quiet (it is) and perhaps I read a recommendation on this group just before
I bought it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 11:41:12 +0000, fictitiousemail wrote:

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 10:54:19 -0000, "John"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 23:55:57 -0000, "John"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

[...]

One possibility is that the standard lever arm + ball valve can foul the
flapper type of syphon if fitted. It makes sense to fit both parts of the
'Fluidmaster' arrangement to avoid the potential problem.

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 29, 10:54*am, "John" wrote:
wrote in message

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 23:55:57 -0000, "John"
wrote:

. ..

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/55211/...tings/Adjustab....

More like a Fluidmaster.

Can't say I had heard of them .What's the advantage of them ? looks
too *complicated .I'll settle for the Torbeck one I have .

The Fluidmaster has a float that surrounds the column:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/420072

Sorry couldnt get back to Newsgroup until now.
Yes it looks similar to your link. The trouble with this design is
that there is a large friction area for limescale especially the inner
surface of the float. Is there a cleaning product?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Fluidmaster has a float that surrounds the column:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/420072

Sorry couldnt get back to Newsgroup until now.
Yes it looks similar to your link. The trouble with this design is
that there is a large friction area for limescale especially the inner
surface of the float. Is there a cleaning product?

Dave

I haven't had a problem yet. Is yours perhaps not truly vertical? However -
I notice my float tilts slightly as it gets near to filling. Try a little
washing up liquid (and enjoy foaming flushes) - it can tend to lubricate
things a bit.