GALIER

Default Flushed A Cap down Toilet

I recently flushed a 2 3/4 " diameter metal cap from a container down
my toilet. I tried to grab it during a flush (gross but I tried and I
guess I' too old) It is now causing a slow flush and back-up when
waste is flushed. I tried a plunger and it seems to help temporarily.
I also took off the bowl and snaked from the bottom of the toilet (wax
ring end) to the front and could figure out where it is. The hole in
the toilet bowl base seems smaller than the cap so I can't imagine it
could have gone down the drain pipe.
Any thoughts on where it is and how to remove it....
1) If it's in the toilet bowl still (Magnet, special snake?)
2) If if in the drain pipe (Magnet, special snake?)

There is a silver lining (pun intended) My thinking is the cap is
metal and will evntually rust out (Don't know when though) and will
eventually flush away (Beats plastic).
Thoughts from any master plumber or tools I might use?

m Ransley

Once had a toilet overflow one day and work the next, off and on, off
and on. Pulled the toilet, kid had dropped a round mirror in and it
worked like a valve opening and closing.

It might rust out in 50 yrs if you can wait.

Doug Miller

In article , lid (GALIER) wrote:
I recently flushed a 2 3/4 " diameter metal cap from a container down
my toilet.

[...]

There is a silver lining (pun intended) My thinking is the cap is
metal and will evntually rust out (Don't know when though)

Not likely. If it's steel, it's almost certainly plated with something
(chrome, zinc, etc) to prevent its rusting under normal conditions. Yeah, it
will rust away eventually, but possibly not in your lifetime, and certainly
not before some kinda sh*t gets snagged on it and backs up your toilet.

Note that as it rusts, the snagging problems will get WORSE, not better,
because it will change from a nice smooth round surface that things slide
readily off of, to a rough, craggy, rusty surface that will snag anything that
drifts across it.

Of course, if it isn't steel at all (which is quite possible), it doesn't
matter *how* long you wait, it's not going away.

and will
eventually flush away (Beats plastic).

You're dreaming. Sorry.

Thoughts from any master plumber or tools I might use?

Magnet on a string, if it's steel.

Closet auger would have a better chance of dislodging it than a normal snake.

Lots of auto parts stores have three-pronged parts grabbers at the end of a
two-foot snake. They're great for picking up stuff that you drop in places you
can't reach. I have one in my toolbox, and that's actually the *first* tool
I'd reach for if I had this problem.

--
Regards,

Jeff Wisnia

GALIER wrote:
[...]

One more idea:

If not too inconvenient and you've got a strong guy around, can you
remove the toilet once again, take it outside and try flushing it out
from the bottom with the full flow from a garden hose. That might just
blow it out the bowl end of the trap.

A fire hose would be even better, but how are 'ya gonna get the use of
one? G

HTH,

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Dave Morrison

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
GALIER wrote:

[...]

Ah, reminds me of my days as a landlord. If the hose doesn't work try
the snake from the bottom again. But this time force a wad of newspaper
through with the snake to clear the trap.

As an aside Toto makes a great line of toilets and this would be a real
good time to look at them :-)
Dave

Nick Hull

In article ,
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

One more idea:

If not too inconvenient and you've got a strong guy around, can you
remove the toilet once again, take it outside and try flushing it out
from the bottom with the full flow from a garden hose. That might just
blow it out the bowl end of the trap.

A fire hose would be even better, but how are 'ya gonna get the use of
one? G

Well, if you have the toilet removed how much extra trouble is it to
take it to the local fire station?

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Joseph Meehan

GALIER wrote:
I recently flushed a 2 3/4 " diameter metal cap from a container down
my toilet.

Few (only the best) have a trap larger than 2" and very few have one
2?". It should be close to the first bend. Under like situations, I find or
make a number of various "tools" to try and grab it. You will not be able
to push it through so you will need to pull it out. A hooked stiff wire
might do the job. Finding someone with a small hand and agile fingers may
do the job.

Maybe this is God's message to you telling you it is time for a new
toilet.

Good Luck.

[...]

Dia's Muire duit

RicodJour

GALIER wrote:
[...]

How about using a blower or a shopvac? I don't see the need to using
much lower pressure water and making a mess. Some other brilliant
poster's idea (that means I agree with him!) was good - stick in some
wadded up whatever and then blow/suck that throw if the blower/vac
doesn't work by itself (it will).

HotRod

I'd start with a strong "neodymium" magnet attached to a good string. Flush
and see where it sticks.

RicodJour

HotRod wrote:
I'd start with a strong "neodymium" magnet attached to a good string.

Flush
and see where it sticks.

Excellent use!

http://www.dansdata.com/magnets.htm

Stormin Mormon

Probably stick to the cast iron toilet bowl?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HotRod" wrote in message
I'd start with a strong "neodymium" magnet attached to a good string. Flush
and see where it sticks.

Doug Miller

In article , "Stormin Mormon" wrote:
Probably stick to the cast iron toilet bowl?

I've never seen a toilet made of cast iron. Have you?

--
Regards,

Stormin Mormon

Most of the toilets I've seen are porcelan coated.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Probably stick to the cast iron toilet bowl?

I've never seen a toilet made of cast iron. Have you?

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article , "Stormin Mormon" wrote:
Most of the toilets I've seen are porcelan coated.

I doubt that. I imagine most of the toilets you've seen are made entirely of
porcelain.

--
Regards,