Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Modern Toilet Cistern Float no longer dropping when flushed

wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 10:54:19 -0000, "John"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 23:55:57 -0000, "John"
wrote:

wrote in message
m...
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 11:27:20 -0800 (PST), zzapper
wrote:

Hi
Our cistern is just a few years old and the working parts are all
white plastic. The float rises and falls on a central column of white
plastic. I presume deposits from hard water are increasing friction.

I have so far just cleaned the column by rubbing my fingers along the
surfaces. But what else can I do lubrication?

Not sure what you mean by " rises and falls on a central column of
white plastic " Floats "pivot" on an attachment so i don't see how
cleaning the column will help.
What happens if you empty the cistern and lift the float ...does it
rise and fall freely when you let go .I'm guessing not by subject line
. If not then you need to attend to where it pivots as that will be
where the problem lies . It's probably more important that it comes
back up when the water level reaches the float but it should move
freely.

Has the inlet valve been replaced at all?

Does it look like this?
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/55211/...-Torbeck-Valve

More like a Fluidmaster.

Can't say I had heard of them .What's the advantage of them ? looks
too complicated .I'll settle for the Torbeck one I have .

The Fluidmaster has a float that surrounds the column:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/420072

Yeah I looked up to see how they work but what's the advantage of
them?

Dunno - It suited the space in the corner of the cistern It claimed to be
quiet (it is) and perhaps I read a recommendation on this group just before
I bought it.