Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Any carpet fitters on here, need your expert advice

In the process of choosing underlay for the upstairs of my home, 4 bedrooms,
landing and staircase. I think I will be going to Blue Heaven (from the
makers of cloud 9). It's like Cloud 9 but without the paper backing as this
can sometimes be noisy underfoot.

My quandary is, do I go for 9mm or 11mm? I would like 11mm as this offers
greater sound impact reduction and thermal insulation. I have read on other
forums that some carpet fitters don't like the 11mm as it is harder to
stretch the carpets.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 16:02:15 -0000, Slider wrote:

In the process of choosing underlay for the upstairs of my home, 4
bedrooms, landing and staircase.

snip
My quandary is, do I go for 9mm or 11mm?

11mm for comfort on your bare feet in the bedrooms and possibly the
landing. Stairs take a hammering and the thicker stuff might not be so
good there as far as the carpet is concerned, too much movement.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Slider wrote:
My quandary is, do I go for 9mm or 11mm? I would like 11mm as this
offers greater sound impact reduction and thermal insulation. I have
read on other forums that some carpet fitters don't like the 11mm as it
is harder to stretch the carpets.

I can't see why.

--
*All generalizations are false.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Slider wrote:
My quandary is, do I go for 9mm or 11mm? I would like 11mm as this
offers greater sound impact reduction and thermal insulation. I have
read on other forums that some carpet fitters don't like the 11mm as it
is harder to stretch the carpets.

I can't see why.

Partly because its harder to get it onto ordinary gripper rods as there
is a bigger step down. For thicker underlay you would probably be better
off with the longer pin gripper.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Slider wrote:
In the process of choosing underlay for the upstairs of my home, 4
bedrooms, landing and staircase. I think I will be going to Blue
Heaven (from the makers of cloud 9). It's like Cloud 9 but without
the paper backing as this can sometimes be noisy underfoot.

My quandary is, do I go for 9mm or 11mm? I would like 11mm as this
offers greater sound impact reduction and thermal insulation. I have
read on other forums that some carpet fitters don't like the 11mm as
it is harder to stretch the carpets.

Hijacking this thread, has anyone got any experience of
http://www.carpet-underlay-shop.co.uk
Or any other online underlay/gripper merchants that can be recommended?
Ta.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Grumps" wrote in message
Slider wrote:
In the process of choosing underlay for the upstairs of my home, 4
bedrooms, landing and staircase. I think I will be going to Blue
Heaven (from the makers of cloud 9). It's like Cloud 9 but without
the paper backing as this can sometimes be noisy underfoot.

My quandary is, do I go for 9mm or 11mm? I would like 11mm as this
offers greater sound impact reduction and thermal insulation. I have
read on other forums that some carpet fitters don't like the 11mm as
it is harder to stretch the carpets.

Hijacking this thread, has anyone got any experience of
http://www.carpet-underlay-shop.co.uk
Or any other online underlay/gripper merchants that can be recommended?
Ta.

Screwfix do gripper rods

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In article , Grumps
writes
Slider wrote:
In the process of choosing underlay for the upstairs of my home, 4
bedrooms, landing and staircase. I think I will be going to Blue
Heaven (from the makers of cloud 9). It's like Cloud 9 but without
the paper backing as this can sometimes be noisy underfoot.

My quandary is, do I go for 9mm or 11mm? I would like 11mm as this
offers greater sound impact reduction and thermal insulation. I have
read on other forums that some carpet fitters don't like the 11mm as
it is harder to stretch the carpets.

Hijacking this thread, has anyone got any experience of
http://www.carpet-underlay-shop.co.uk
Or any other online underlay/gripper merchants that can be recommended?
Ta.

If you're still looking:

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups/se...BP%40y.z&hl=en

or
http://preview.tinyurl.com/5jhflq
--
fred
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message
"Grumps" wrote in message
Slider wrote:
In the process of choosing underlay for the upstairs of my home, 4
bedrooms, landing and staircase. I think I will be going to Blue
Heaven (from the makers of cloud 9). It's like Cloud 9 but without
the paper backing as this can sometimes be noisy underfoot.

My quandary is, do I go for 9mm or 11mm? I would like 11mm as this
offers greater sound impact reduction and thermal insulation. I have
read on other forums that some carpet fitters don't like the 11mm as
it is harder to stretch the carpets.

Hijacking this thread, has anyone got any experience of
http://www.carpet-underlay-shop.co.uk
Or any other online underlay/gripper merchants that can be recommended?
Ta.

Screwfix do gripper rods

Ah, so they do.
Thanks for the tip. Saves online postage.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , Grumps
writes
Slider wrote:
In the process of choosing underlay for the upstairs of my home, 4
bedrooms, landing and staircase. I think I will be going to Blue
Heaven (from the makers of cloud 9). It's like Cloud 9 but without
the paper backing as this can sometimes be noisy underfoot.

My quandary is, do I go for 9mm or 11mm? I would like 11mm as this
offers greater sound impact reduction and thermal insulation. I have
read on other forums that some carpet fitters don't like the 11mm as
it is harder to stretch the carpets.

Hijacking this thread, has anyone got any experience of
http://www.carpet-underlay-shop.co.uk
Or any other online underlay/gripper merchants that can be recommended?
Ta.

If you're still looking:

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups/se...BP%40y.z&hl=en

or
http://preview.tinyurl.com/5jhflq

I never even knew that group existed. Thanks.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , Grumps
writes
Slider wrote:
In the process of choosing underlay for the upstairs of my home, 4
bedrooms, landing and staircase. I think I will be going to Blue
Heaven (from the makers of cloud 9). It's like Cloud 9 but without
the paper backing as this can sometimes be noisy underfoot.

My quandary is, do I go for 9mm or 11mm? I would like 11mm as this
offers greater sound impact reduction and thermal insulation. I have
read on other forums that some carpet fitters don't like the 11mm as
it is harder to stretch the carpets.

Hijacking this thread, has anyone got any experience of
http://www.carpet-underlay-shop.co.uk
Or any other online underlay/gripper merchants that can be recommended?
Ta.

If you're still looking:

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups/se...BP%40y.z&hl=en

or
http://preview.tinyurl.com/5jhflq

One last Q.
Fitting underlay onto a wooden floor, do you staple it down? If so,
whereabouts?

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , Grumps
writes

One last Q.
Fitting underlay onto a wooden floor, do you staple it down? If so,
whereabouts?

Yes, I did, every 12" round the edge of each length, about 1" in to avoid
tearing out.

Doesthe stapling cause little pits in the underlay?

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Grumps wrote:
Yes, I did, every 12" round the edge of each length, about 1" in to
avoid tearing out.

Doesthe stapling cause little pits in the underlay?

Yes - but the carpet is stiff enough to cover those without showing.

--
*Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 06:45:07 -0000, Grumps wrote:

Fitting underlay onto a wooden floor, do you staple it down? If so,
whereabouts?

Yes, I did, every 12" round the edge of each length, about 1" in to
avoid tearing out.

Seems bit OTT that frequent. The underlay isn't going anywhere once the
carpet is down and stretched. But you do need something to stop it moving
as you lay and stretch the carpet. I stapled each corner and centre of the
width then about the same distance (30" or so) down the length, adjusted
to get the spacing equalish.

Doesthe stapling cause little pits in the underlay?

Very small, not worth worrying about.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Grumps wrote:
Yes, I did, every 12" round the edge of each length, about 1" in to
avoid tearing out.

Doesthe stapling cause little pits in the underlay?

Yes - but the carpet is stiff enough to cover those without showing.

Thanks.
I can't recall any fitters that we've had in using staples. Maybe they used
adhesive or tape instead, or nothing.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Grumps wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Grumps wrote:
Yes, I did, every 12" round the edge of each length, about 1" in to
avoid tearing out.

Doesthe stapling cause little pits in the underlay?

Yes - but the carpet is stiff enough to cover those without showing.

Thanks. I can't recall any fitters that we've had in using staples.
Maybe they used adhesive or tape instead, or nothing.

Simple tacks is one way. But if you have a proper stapler that's quicker.

--
*I believe five out of four people have trouble with fractions. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Grumps" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Grumps wrote:
Yes, I did, every 12" round the edge of each length, about 1" in to
avoid tearing out.

Doesthe stapling cause little pits in the underlay?

Yes - but the carpet is stiff enough to cover those without showing.

Thanks.
I can't recall any fitters that we've had in using staples. Maybe they
used adhesive or tape instead, or nothing.

I have always used staples on wood - the carpet fitter I had recently used
spraygrip on the concrete along the edges of the underlay pieces just to
hold in place while carpet being laid.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Grumps" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Grumps wrote:
Yes, I did, every 12" round the edge of each length, about 1" in to
avoid tearing out.

Doesthe stapling cause little pits in the underlay?

Yes - but the carpet is stiff enough to cover those without showing.

Thanks.
I can't recall any fitters that we've had in using staples. Maybe they
used adhesive or tape instead, or nothing.

Same here, there is no glue or staples holding the underlay in place.
The joints are taped on the top.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 22:35:43 -0000, "Grumps"
wrote:

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , Grumps
writes
Slider wrote:
[...]

We just had a new carpet fitted and the fitter just stapled the
underlay to the floorboards every 2 to 3 foot. Pretty much how it was
done with the old underlay. I know because I went round and pulled all
the old staples before we go the carpet laid