Default painting staircase spindles.expert painters advice please!

i have just finished rubbing down/sanding my staircase spindles. they
are victorian and quite ornate. I want to now paint them white. What is
the best way of achieving an even finish as i know from previous
experience that the paint tends to run and drip on the grooves. how
many coats do i need and what paint would be recommended?

Stuart Noble

wrote in message
ups.com...
i have just finished rubbing down/sanding my staircase spindles. they
are victorian and quite ornate. I want to now paint them white. What is
the best way of achieving an even finish as i know from previous
experience that the paint tends to run and drip on the grooves. how
many coats do i need and what paint would be recommended?

An undercoat of your choice followed by a liquid solvent based topcoat gives
the best looking finish IMO, but the latter is prone to runs. Be organised,
apply sparingly, keep an eye out for drips.
Use as much undercoat as you need to totally obscure the wood and give a
uniform colour, then as thin a coat as you can for the topcoat.

howkers

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 20:15:31 -0000, "Stuart Noble"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
i have just finished rubbing down/sanding my staircase spindles. they
are victorian and quite ornate. I want to now paint them white. What is
the best way of achieving an even finish as i know from previous
experience that the paint tends to run and drip on the grooves. how
many coats do i need and what paint would be recommended?

An undercoat of your choice followed by a liquid solvent based topcoat gives
the best looking finish IMO, but the latter is prone to runs. Be organised,
apply sparingly, keep an eye out for drips.
Use as much undercoat as you need to totally obscure the wood and give a
uniform colour, then as thin a coat as you can for the topcoat.

Agreed on maximum undercoat and minimum smelly type gloss. Last
undercoat with 600 wet n dry if you want a polished finish. Tack rag
between rubbing down.

For drips I have an inspection lamp on a flexible lead handy. Varying
the direction of the light helps spot any drips and sags before they
dry.

Also useful for filling and sanding plaster if you're going to
emulsion it without papering.