Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where to find silicone/plastic flashing(?) for kitchen plinths.

I've made some kickers (the fronts of the plinths) for my
kitchen. I want to make an unobtrusive seal between them
and the floor to stop spills seeping underneath, but as I
store junk behind them (and some of them are actually
drawers) I don't want to run silicone sealant along the
bottom. What I'd like is something like the stuff that
comes with IKEA plinths -- a transparent plastic strip that
fits on the bottom edge of the kicker and has a vane that
presses against the floor.

I've made some diagrams of roughly what I'm after here
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jon.fairbairn/kicker-plastic.png
and here
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jon.fairbairn/kicker-silicone.png. What
happens on the invisible inside edge doesn't matter (the
IKEA stuff has a vane and vertical part both sides) I don't
think IKEA sells this stuff separately.

Not knowing the True Name of such seals, I've tried web
searches for various combinations of "plastic", "silicone",
"strip", "flashing" and "seal" without any really useful
result; I found sites that would make such things, but as I
only want about 10m, a minimum order of 1km seems a bit too
much. What should I be searching for? Or where can I get
some?

Thanks,

Jón

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2008-04-26)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 15:17:23 +0000, Jon Fairbairn
wrote:

[...]

As you made the kickers them I'm guessing they won't have a groove
along the bottom like my MFI ones have to take the seal. You could
try doing a search for companies that do shower screen seals .They
might have something that you could use . There are also door seals to
keep out draughts .The one I have has a metal part that nails on to
the outside door surround and the other part is rubber which seals
against the door when it's closed .
You also get seals in DG windows but I'm not sure how they fit on
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I didn't look at these images before when I replied but that looks
similar to what MFI supplied with my kick panels .If I remember
correctly also got extra ones seperately .Might be worth asking there
..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've made some kickers (the fronts of the plinths) for my
kitchen. I want to make an unobtrusive seal between them
and the floor to stop spills seeping underneath,

I've made some diagrams of roughly what I'm after here
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jon.fairbairn/kicker-plastic.png
and here
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jon.fairbairn/kicker-silicone.png. What
happens on the invisible inside edge doesn't matter (the

As you made the kickers them I'm guessing they won't have a groove
along the bottom like my MFI ones have to take the seal.

Adding a groove would be straightforward. My diagrams are
suggestive, though I should have said that the fillet in the
corner between the kicker and the floor is important since
the floor is far from flat. I'd originally intended to
router a rebate to hide an EPDM rubber P-seal along the
bottom, but the floor is so uneven that it needs something
in the corner to conceal the gap.

You could try doing a search for companies that do shower
screen seals.

I had a go at that without any luck :-(

There are also door seals to keep out draughts.

That was the original plan (it's what P seal is intended
for), but see above.

You also get seals in DG windows but I'm not sure how they
fit on

The ones I've seen slide into a T-groove in the glazing
bead. I suspect the shape varies from manufacturer to
manufacturer. A good suggestion, thanks, but I think the
geometry won't work and they're all black, brown or (rarely)
white, and none of those would be unobtrusive agains the
pale blue/grey of the kickers and floor :-(

Thanks for the suggestions,
Jón

--
Jón Fairbairn

http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2008-04-26)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jon Fairbairn wrote:
I've made some kickers (the fronts of the plinths) for my
kitchen. I want to make an unobtrusive seal between them
and the floor to stop spills seeping underneath, but as I
store junk behind them (and some of them are actually
drawers) I don't want to run silicone sealant along the
bottom. What I'd like is something like the stuff that
comes with IKEA plinths -- a transparent plastic strip that
fits on the bottom edge of the kicker and has a vane that
presses against the floor.

As I've just posted to somebody else - Howden's. They definitely
exactly sell this stuff; however they are trade-only so could be
awkward. You might be able to blag your way in though, or try and bribe
a tame joiner in their carpark?

BTW Howden's is the trade version of MFI, so it will be the same stuff
you were trying to obtain from them.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jon Fairbairn" wrote in message

[...]

I used the plastic edging strip used for tiling. The pic below show the
black strip in place & a piece of white strip laid in front to give a
comparison.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=iz4774&s=4
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=iem9lk&s=4
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2zf0qqe&s=4

Don.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jon Fairbairn wrote:

I've made some kickers (the fronts of the plinths) for my
kitchen. I want to make an unobtrusive seal between them
and the floor to stop spills seeping underneath, but as I
store junk behind them (and some of them are actually
drawers) I don't want to run silicone sealant along the
bottom. What I'd like is something like the stuff that
comes with IKEA plinths -- a transparent plastic strip that
fits on the bottom edge of the kicker and has a vane that
presses against the floor.

Plinth seals.I saw them in B+Q this week -
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...h_search=plint
h+seal&selected=products&x=0&y=0

No idea if they have a seal againstt he floor.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Don" wrote in message
. uk...

[...]

Brilliant - I will remember that when I get around to doing my kitchen.
Incidentally, I think there is a lot to be said for having the plinths easy
to remove - rather than sealed. Nice to get behind to clean every once in a
while.

How did you fasten the strip? A thin bead of silicone?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" writes:

"Don" wrote in message
. uk...
I used the plastic edging strip used for tiling. The pic below show the
black strip in place & a piece of white strip laid in front to give a
comparison.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=iz4774&s=4
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=iem9lk&s=4
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2zf0qqe&s=4

Don.

Brilliant - I will remember that when I get around to doing my kitchen.

I think the translucent stuff (as from B&Q -- thanks again
to A.Lee, or the stuff supplied with IKEA plinths) looks
nicer as less obtrusive.

Incidentally, I think there is a lot to be said for having the plinths easy
to remove - rather than sealed. Nice to get behind to clean every once in a
while.

And how can one manage without keeping junk behind them?

How did you fasten the strip? A thin bead of silicone?

I tried that with an IKEA kitchen, but their plinth seals
don't stick very well to silicone (or maybe I did it
wrong?). I'm considering stainless steel staples shot into
the bottom (so to speak) this time, though I'm a bit worried
that they might split the seal.