Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Where to find silicone/plastic flashing(?) for kitchen plinths.

"Don" wrote in message
. uk...

"Jon Fairbairn" wrote in message

I've made some kickers (the fronts of the plinths) for my
kitchen. I want to make an unobtrusive seal between them
and the floor to stop spills seeping underneath, but as I
store junk behind them (and some of them are actually
drawers) I don't want to run silicone sealant along the
bottom. What I'd like is something like the stuff that
comes with IKEA plinths -- a transparent plastic strip that
fits on the bottom edge of the kicker and has a vane that
presses against the floor.

I've made some diagrams of roughly what I'm after here
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jon.fairbairn/kicker-plastic.png
and here
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jon.fairbairn/kicker-silicone.png. What
happens on the invisible inside edge doesn't matter (the
IKEA stuff has a vane and vertical part both sides) I don't
think IKEA sells this stuff separately.

Not knowing the True Name of such seals, I've tried web
searches for various combinations of "plastic", "silicone",
"strip", "flashing" and "seal" without any really useful
result; I found sites that would make such things, but as I
only want about 10m, a minimum order of 1km seems a bit too
much. What should I be searching for? Or where can I get
some?

I used the plastic edging strip used for tiling. The pic below show the
black strip in place & a piece of white strip laid in front to give a
comparison.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=iz4774&s=4
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=iem9lk&s=4
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2zf0qqe&s=4

Don.

Brilliant - I will remember that when I get around to doing my kitchen.
Incidentally, I think there is a lot to be said for having the plinths easy
to remove - rather than sealed. Nice to get behind to clean every once in a
while.

How did you fasten the strip? A thin bead of silicone?