Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More on flourescents

I have a twin 8' fittingwith 100/125 (?) tubes. One of them
is not working properly.
The tube flashes as tho' trying to 'strike', but keeps
flashing till I take out the starter.
Then it stays on.
Meanwhile the other tube functions faultlessly.

From this I assumed it was the starter that needed replacing.
New starter, with correct details 8' 100/125 watts, and
still the darling light flashes away.

Can I assume the tube is OK? (On the basis that it works
without the starter in situ.)
I have tried a few different starters, is there something
else that I should have a look at?

--
Jeweller
R100RT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeweller wrote:

I have a twin 8' fittingwith 100/125 (?) tubes. One of them
is not working properly.
The tube flashes as tho' trying to 'strike', but keeps
flashing till I take out the starter.
Then it stays on.
Meanwhile the other tube functions faultlessly.

From this I assumed it was the starter that needed replacing.

yes

New starter, with correct details 8' 100/125 watts, and
still the darling light flashes away.

Can I assume the tube is OK? (On the basis that it works
without the starter in situ.)

yes

I have tried a few different starters, is there something
else that I should have a look at?

weird! Have you got a bad batch? You know the tube works ok.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Jeweller wrote:

I have a twin 8' fittingwith 100/125 (?) tubes. One of them
is not working properly.
The tube flashes as tho' trying to 'strike', but keeps
flashing till I take out the starter.
Then it stays on.
Meanwhile the other tube functions faultlessly.

From this I assumed it was the starter that needed replacing.

yes

New starter, with correct details 8' 100/125 watts, and
still the darling light flashes away.

Can I assume the tube is OK? (On the basis that it works
without the starter in situ.)

yes

I have tried a few different starters, is there something
else that I should have a look at?

weird! Have you got a bad batch? You know the tube works ok.

NT

Try swapping the tubes over ... if the 'faulty' tube acts the same in the
other side it would be a fault with the tube.
If the same thing happens the the tube you swapped over, then it would be a
fault in the original circuit where the'faulty' tube came from.
You would expect the a tube to carry on being lit once it has started with
the starter. Did you swap the starters over?
Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
wrote in message
Jeweller wrote:

I have a twin 8' fittingwith 100/125 (?) tubes. One of them
is not working properly.

Can I assume the tube is OK? (On the basis that it works
without the starter in situ.)

yes

I have tried a few different starters, is there something
else that I should have a look at?

weird! Have you got a bad batch? You know the tube works ok.

NT

Try swapping the tubes over ... if the 'faulty' tube acts the same in the
other side it would be a fault with the tube.
If the same thing happens the the tube you swapped over, then it would be a
fault in the original circuit where the'faulty' tube came from.
You would expect the a tube to carry on being lit once it has started with
the starter. Did you swap the starters over?
Dave

I'll try that lot tomorrow.
Thanks.

--
Jeweller
R100RT
Formerly: James Captain, A10, C15, B25, Dnepr M16 solo,
R80/7, R100RT (green!)
www.davidhowardjeweller.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] Choosing a SatNav for my Mother in Law

I'm hoping to tap into the UK-DIY SatNav knowledge base!

My MIL has expressed a desire/need for a SatNav for her car. This is
good as we had decided to buy one for her this Christmas.

As a Garmin Zumo user I'm not well placed to make an informed choice of
MIL-friendly SatNavs and seek the advice/opinions of the subscribers here.

IMO she needs: UK mapping only, full TTS instructions, full UK postcode
searching and simplicity of operation. Not much really! I'm open to
arguments as to why she may not need TTS etc.

I don't want to rush out and buy a TomTom One without giving the matter
careful consideration. Especially as Misco are offering this:
http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/...&sourceid=6567

TIA

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Richard Savage wrote:
I'm hoping to tap into the UK-DIY SatNav knowledge base!

My MIL has expressed a desire/need for a SatNav for her car. This is
good as we had decided to buy one for her this Christmas.

As a Garmin Zumo user I'm not well placed to make an informed choice of
MIL-friendly SatNavs and seek the advice/opinions of the subscribers here.

IMO she needs: UK mapping only, full TTS instructions, full UK postcode
searching and simplicity of operation. Not much really! I'm open to
arguments as to why she may not need TTS etc.

I don't want to rush out and buy a TomTom One without giving the matter
careful consideration. Especially as Misco are offering this:
http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/...&sourceid=6567

TIA

Richard

No longer available!

I shall be interested in responses.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

No longer available!

I shall be interested in responses.

Odd, I was able to add it to my basket 5 mins ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 22:58:21 +0000, Richard Savage
wrote:

I'm hoping to tap into the UK-DIY SatNav knowledge base!

My MIL has expressed a desire/need for a SatNav for her car. This is
good as we had decided to buy one for her this Christmas.

As a Garmin Zumo user I'm not well placed to make an informed choice of
MIL-friendly SatNavs and seek the advice/opinions of the subscribers here.

IMO she needs: UK mapping only, full TTS instructions, full UK postcode
searching and simplicity of operation. Not much really! I'm open to
arguments as to why she may not need TTS etc.

Have you noticed how difficult it is to get a GPS these days, rather
than a SatNav?

I have a TomTom SatNav, but they aren't a great deal of use if you
leave the road, say to climb a mountain, or expect to navigate to a
particular NGR...

I suppose I should have been a bit less honest when I retired about
three years ago, and 'lost' my official Magellan Meridian GPS :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Savage coughed up some electrons that declared:

I'm hoping to tap into the UK-DIY SatNav knowledge base!

My MIL has expressed a desire/need for a SatNav for her car. This is
good as we had decided to buy one for her this Christmas.

As a Garmin Zumo user I'm not well placed to make an informed choice of
MIL-friendly SatNavs and seek the advice/opinions of the subscribers here.

IMO she needs: UK mapping only, full TTS instructions, full UK postcode
searching and simplicity of operation. Not much really! I'm open to
arguments as to why she may not need TTS etc.

I don't want to rush out and buy a TomTom One without giving the matter
careful consideration. Especially as Misco are offering this:

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/...&sourceid=6567

TIA

Richard

Not so much a suggestion, but my experience:

I've been happy with the Garmin Nuvi, although I've been in a car with a
TomTom and my Nuvi side by side[1] and the TomTom possibly gives slightly
better verbal directions.

I went with the Nuvi 2 years ago because it came with full European maps (no
extra charge to use them, watch out for that with some products) and
TrafficMaster was included which I find generally useful.

As to the postcode searching, Nuvi is fine with this provided you have a
numbered house - it can't cope with house names, though it will still get
you to the right road.

Cheers

Tim

[1] Should have heard the disagreements going through Milton Keynes!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Richard Savage wrote:
I'm hoping to tap into the UK-DIY SatNav knowledge base!

My MIL has expressed a desire/need for a SatNav for her car. This is
good as we had decided to buy one for her this Christmas.

As a Garmin Zumo user I'm not well placed to make an informed choice of
MIL-friendly SatNavs and seek the advice/opinions of the subscribers here.

IMO she needs: UK mapping only, full TTS instructions, full UK postcode
searching and simplicity of operation. Not much really! I'm open to
arguments as to why she may not need TTS etc.

I don't want to rush out and buy a TomTom One without giving the matter
careful consideration. Especially as Misco are offering this:
http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/...&sourceid=6567

If you're looking at the bottom end of the market CPC had refurbished
Garmin on offer the other day which looked like a good deal. Unfortunately
I've deleted the email.

--
*Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Tim S contains these words:

I've been happy with the Garmin Nuvi, although I've been in a car with a
TomTom and my Nuvi side by side[1] and the TomTom possibly gives slightly
better verbal directions.

I have a Garmin Nuvi which really ****es me off. I bought it as it was
the only in-car unit around at the time that would take grid references.
As I go hill walking my destinations often don't have post codes.

There are a few junctions where there is an obvious error (which
presumably is a problem with all units) and literally thousands of
junctions where the instruction does not match the road priority but my
principal beef is with the treatment of single track roads. Whoever
coded the average speed for these roads obviously doesn't have a clue
about the difference between single track and single carriageway roads.
Generally I find the ETA reliable but with single track roads the ETA
becomes hopelessly optimistic with the expected average somewhere
between 150 and 200% of that achievable with any degree of safety.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jeweller" wrote in message
m...
I have a twin 8' fittingwith 100/125 (?) tubes. One of them is not working
properly.
The tube flashes as tho' trying to 'strike', but keeps flashing till I
take out the starter.
Then it stays on.
Meanwhile the other tube functions faultlessly.

From this I assumed it was the starter that needed replacing.
New starter, with correct details 8' 100/125 watts, and still the darling
light flashes away.

Can I assume the tube is OK? (On the basis that it works without the
starter in situ.)
I have tried a few different starters, is there something else that I
should have a look at?

I no longer use 8 ft fittings, as they are always a bit temperamental.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

http://planet.farnell.com/email/cpc/WebOffers/tech_it_02lp.htm

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Surely just put some random stuff n a box.

After all, you want her to get lost. Don't you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod wrote:
If you're looking at the bottom end of the market CPC had refurbished
Garmin on offer the other day which looked like a good deal.
Unfortunately I've deleted the email.

http://planet.farnell.com/email/cpc/WebOffers/tech_it_02lp.htm

That's the one. I oft wonder what they mean by 'refurbished'. Checked to
be complete and working would be more like it - I can't see them doing
anything else.

--
*Aim Low, Reach Your Goals, Avoid Disappointment *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard Savage" wrote in message
I'm hoping to tap into the UK-DIY SatNav knowledge base!

My MIL has expressed a desire/need for a SatNav for her car. This is good
as we had decided to buy one for her this Christmas.

As a Garmin Zumo user I'm not well placed to make an informed choice of
MIL-friendly SatNavs and seek the advice/opinions of the subscribers here.

IMO she needs: UK mapping only, full TTS instructions, full UK postcode
searching and simplicity of operation. Not much really! I'm open to
arguments as to why she may not need TTS etc.

I don't want to rush out and buy a TomTom One without giving the matter
careful consideration. Especially as Misco are offering this:
http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/...&sourceid=6567

The Tomtom one is really easy to use and update provide she can get access
to a PC, unless she wants to edit the maps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Rod wrote:
If you're looking at the bottom end of the market CPC had refurbished
Garmin on offer the other day which looked like a good deal.
Unfortunately I've deleted the email.

http://planet.farnell.com/email/cpc/WebOffers/tech_it_02lp.htm

That's the one. I oft wonder what they mean by 'refurbished'. Checked to
be complete and working would be more like it - I can't see them doing
anything else.

IME it often means brand new and unopened. For the manufacturer it's a
way of shifting stock without being seen to be undercutting their retailers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

That's the one. I oft wonder what they mean by 'refurbished'. Checked to
be complete and working would be more like it - I can't see them doing
anything else.

I have a refurbished Garmin 12XL. They get properly refurbished, case
cracked, 100% inspection and repair/replacement of components and then
reassembled and resealed. It's done by Garmin themselves and the units
are certificated with a schedule of repairs.

Or at least they were when I bought mine. The one I got was a "returned
from the Gulf - no longer needed for a war" unit. It still works well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeweller wrote:
Dave wrote:
wrote in message
Jeweller wrote:

[...]

Swopped the tubes and now they are both stable!

--
Jeweller
R100RT
Formerly: James Captain, A10, C15, B25, Dnepr M16 solo,
R80/7, R100RT (green!)
www.davidhowardjeweller.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger coughed up some electrons that declared:

There are a few junctions where there is an obvious error (which
presumably is a problem with all units)

I agree. It's partly a limitation of the map data, of which there are two
main sources AFAIK. I *think* TomTom uses the other source to Nuvis and
there's similar whinage on forums regarding both.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
That's the one. I oft wonder what they mean by 'refurbished'. Checked to
be complete and working would be more like it - I can't see them doing
anything else.

I have a refurbished Garmin 12XL. They get properly refurbished, case
cracked, 100% inspection and repair/replacement of components and then
reassembled and resealed. It's done by Garmin themselves and the units
are certificated with a schedule of repairs.

I'm amazed it's economic to do that on a small mass produced item.

Or at least they were when I bought mine. The one I got was a "returned
from the Gulf - no longer needed for a war" unit. It still works well.

That'll be a nice bit of provenance for the Antiques Roadshow in a few
years time.

--
*Two many clicks spoil the browse *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Or at least they were when I bought mine. The one I got was a "returned
from the Gulf - no longer needed for a war" unit. It still works well.

That'll be a nice bit of provenance for the Antiques Roadshow in a few
years time.

It was really the start of GPS as a consumer product. Both Trimble and
Garmin rushed thousands of handsets out to US troops when the USA
discovered they didn't have enough military units. At the same time the
US removed Selective Availability from the satellite signal and improved
the accuracy of the units. After the ruckus finished they took the
decision not to degrade the position fix again. Returned units were
refurbed and sold onto the domestic market since they didn't contain any
classified technology. The proces fell from the original £1500-2500 for
a Magellan hand-held GPS to the £200 mark at which point I bought mine.

The bluetooth GPS I bought for £20 a few months back is actually a
better unit than the 12XL, but I like the 12XL features when I'm sailing
a boat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

On 2008-11-20, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

All the "refurb" items I've bought appear to be new old stock, still sealed in
manufacturers packaging. I've always assumed it's a marketing term...

Apple refurb stuff I've bought seems to be tested (they often have a test
sheet in with them) and then repackaged in plain brown packaging instead
of the glossy box.

Full warranty and stuff though - I've been impressed (and saved a fair bit :-))

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

I think we can conclude that "refurb" means whatever the vendors want it to!

Sounds about right, some stuff is definitely more "refurb" than others.
With mobile phones it seems to be that they pop the case off, and
respray the case or fit a new one, reassemble, add a new battery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2008-11-20, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
That's the one. I oft wonder what they mean by 'refurbished'.
Checked to be complete and working would be more like it - I can't
see them doing anything else.

I have a refurbished Garmin 12XL. They get properly refurbished, case
cracked, 100% inspection and repair/replacement of components and
then reassembled and resealed. It's done by Garmin themselves and the
units are certificated with a schedule of repairs.

I'm amazed it's economic to do that on a small mass produced item.

All the "refurb" items I've bought appear to be new old stock, still
sealed in manufacturers packaging. I've always assumed it's a marketing
term...

Think it is with CPC - only thing like that I've bought from them was an
Olympus camera and everything appeared to be in original packaging.

--
*When blondes have more fun, do they know it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
[...]

I can see that on a unit costing several thousand, but brand new sat nav
units are under the 100 quid mark now. So probably - what - 20 quid
ex-factory?

The bluetooth GPS I bought for £20 a few months back is actually a
better unit than the 12XL, but I like the 12XL features when I'm sailing
a boat.

Whatever happened to the sun and stars?

--
*Gun Control: Use both hands.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The bluetooth GPS I bought for £20 a few months back is actually a
better unit than the 12XL, but I like the 12XL features when I'm sailing
a boat.

Whatever happened to the sun and stars?

None of them happen to be conveniently located near Nab tower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 23:59:26 +0000, Tim S wrote:

I went with the Nuvi 2 years ago because it came with ... and
TrafficMaster was included which I find generally useful.

Do your really mean TrafficMaster or TMC? They are different data sources,
from what I've heard TMC isn't that good compared to TrafficMaster.

As to the postcode searching, Nuvi is fine with this provided you have a
numbered house - it can't cope with house names, though it will still
get you to the right road.

It will with full postcode but not all units have that. If it only goes to
sub-sector (1st letter of second letter sequence) it'll only get you to
within a few miles out in the country side.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice coughed up some electrons that declared:

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 23:59:26 +0000, Tim S wrote:

I went with the Nuvi 2 years ago because it came with ... and
TrafficMaster was included which I find generally useful.

Pretty sure it's TrafficMaster, the one the RAC own.

Do your really mean TrafficMaster or TMC? They are different data sources,
from what I've heard TMC isn't that good compared to TrafficMaster.

Mine seems fairly on the ball. Had trouble with the receiver though - had to
send that back, but Garmin sent me a new one and it's been very reliable
and a more useful source of data than the police-controlled motorways
signs!

As to the postcode searching, Nuvi is fine with this provided you have a
numbered house - it can't cope with house names, though it will still
get you to the right road.

It will with full postcode but not all units have that. If it only goes to
sub-sector (1st letter of second letter sequence) it'll only get you to
within a few miles out in the country side.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Swopped the tubes and now they are both stable!

Nice one ... glad to be of help.
Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

Swopped the tubes and now they are both stable!

Nice one ... glad to be of help.
Dave

Much appreciated.
(Has this thread become scrambled on your machine? Here it's
mixed in with M-i-L's SatNav.)

--
Jeweller
R100RT
Formerly: James Captain, A10, C15, B25, Dnepr M16 solo,
R80/7, R100RT (green!)
www.davidhowardjeweller.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeweller wrote:

(Has this thread become scrambled on your machine? Here it's mixed in
with M-i-L's SatNav.)

I think that the first posting of MIL satnav was accidentally to this
thread rather than as a new thread, that probably explains why the O/P
couldn't see it and assumed it went missing so re-posted it in its own
thread ...