Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default [OT] Choosing a SatNav for my Mother in Law

Richard Savage coughed up some electrons that declared:

I'm hoping to tap into the UK-DIY SatNav knowledge base!

My MIL has expressed a desire/need for a SatNav for her car. This is
good as we had decided to buy one for her this Christmas.

As a Garmin Zumo user I'm not well placed to make an informed choice of
MIL-friendly SatNavs and seek the advice/opinions of the subscribers here.

IMO she needs: UK mapping only, full TTS instructions, full UK postcode
searching and simplicity of operation. Not much really! I'm open to
arguments as to why she may not need TTS etc.

I don't want to rush out and buy a TomTom One without giving the matter
careful consideration. Especially as Misco are offering this:

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/...&sourceid=6567

TIA

Richard

Not so much a suggestion, but my experience:

I've been happy with the Garmin Nuvi, although I've been in a car with a
TomTom and my Nuvi side by side[1] and the TomTom possibly gives slightly
better verbal directions.

I went with the Nuvi 2 years ago because it came with full European maps (no
extra charge to use them, watch out for that with some products) and
TrafficMaster was included which I find generally useful.

As to the postcode searching, Nuvi is fine with this provided you have a
numbered house - it can't cope with house names, though it will still get
you to the right road.

Cheers

Tim

[1] Should have heard the disagreements going through Milton Keynes!