Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Grouting rough unglazed tiles

I'm a bit worried! The wife has chosen some tiles for the bathroom and I've
stuck them on the wall but I don't want to go any further. She insists I
finish the job with the cream grouting but I just know I'm gonna mess it up.

The tiles are 50mm square like mosaics, about 8mm thick. They look like
rough stone and the edges are uneven, so the grout will go all over the
place. And I can't just let it dry and rub it off like with glazed tiles.

Is there a trick I need to know about to keep the tiles clean?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Taylor" wrote in message
I'm a bit worried! The wife has chosen some tiles for the bathroom and
I've stuck them on the wall but I don't want to go any further. She
insists I finish the job with the cream grouting but I just know I'm gonna
mess it up.

The tiles are 50mm square like mosaics, about 8mm thick. They look like
rough stone and the edges are uneven, so the grout will go all over the
place. And I can't just let it dry and rub it off like with glazed tiles.

Is there a trick I need to know about to keep the tiles clean?

Point them up as a bricklayer would. i.e just apply grout to the joints
and not swish it across the face. I doubt your tiles are rougher than
bricks.

Parellel strips of masking tape on either side of the joint might help.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 05:12:34 -0800 (PST), Andy Dingley
wrote:

snip

Not a total solution on its own, but a real rubber tiler's sponge
(couple of quid from Axminster) works far better than a tuppence
ha'penny pan scourer.

Can you get rubber tiles for walls? :-)

Don't be stupid!

It's the tiler that's real rubber, not the tiles.

--
PeterMcC

inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Nov, 13:18, wrote:
Can you get rubber tiles for walls? * *:-)

No idea, but you can get them for floors.

Price of the things is truly staggering though! They look the
business, but just not affordable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
. ..
Peter Taylor wrote:

Is there a trick I need to know about to keep the tiles clean?

After grouting "gres" tiles which are unglazed and have a "broken" edge
started to send me insane - I was spending more time cleaning than
grouting - I got a mortar gun and used that to apply the grout to the
gaps. Much easier than a squegee or sponge.

Great idea, thanks! I went to the tile place to see what they had and they
looked at me as if I was mad (Not far out actually). But on the old
internet I found a better idea of using a grout bag, like an icing bag.
Amazon sell them.

Here are the tiles she selected:
http://www.ionicstone.com/product.ph...&product_id=13
They told me not to bother about the holes in the tiles, just fill them with
grout using a squeegee. I reckon it will look terrible, what do you think?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I'm going to take you up on the tape idea Mark, thanks!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Taylor wrote:

They told me not to bother about the holes in the tiles, just fill them with
grout using a squeegee. I reckon it will look terrible, what do you think?

I don't know, it depends on the tiles and the grout. When I tried it on
ours erindoors told me to clean it off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Taylor coughed up some electrons that declared:

Peter Taylor wrote:

[...]

Looks like travertine, in the absence of anything on the website!

In which case, yes, you do fill the holes with grout - or the tiles are
supplied ready filled.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Taylor" wrote in message
I'm a bit worried! The wife has chosen some tiles for the bathroom and
I've stuck them on the wall but I don't want to go any further. She
insists I finish the job with the cream grouting but I just know I'm gonna
mess it up.

The tiles are 50mm square like mosaics, about 8mm thick. They look like
rough stone and the edges are uneven, so the grout will go all over the
place. And I can't just let it dry and rub it off like with glazed tiles.

Is there a trick I need to know about to keep the tiles clean?

I think I'd use ivory coloured grout on those tiles.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote in message
et...

I think I'd use ivory coloured grout on those tiles.

mark

Thanks. You're right - that's what they recommended as well. The colour I
bought is called Jasmine (but it's ivory)

I have a few tiles left over so I'm going to do two tests to see how it
looks, just grouting the joints and filling the holes with grout as well.
Thanks for all the help.

Grouting and sealing unglazed tiles Bruce[_4_] UK diy 7 August 6th 08 11:37 AM
Grouting and Tiles [email protected] UK diy 4 May 2nd 07 08:26 PM
Re-grouting bathroom tiles ian UK diy 4 February 20th 07 05:26 PM
Grouting external tiles Andy Pandy UK diy 3 May 30th 05 01:34 PM
white grouting between tiles john kennedy UK diy 2 December 14th 04 05:08 PM